Eric Duncan

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

In short I fucking loved the original when i saw it as a kid and i wont know if it will today , it does end on a feel good note after that chaotic 3rd act so maybe it will
(I can't pinpoint why its awesome maybe it was "stranger things with adults X more personal stakes/less bombastic version of our usual Spielberg/Emmerich sci-fi spectacle of that era" combo)

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2022 at 7:04 PM, dudalb said:

Sadly the Tornados has more charecter then the actual chatecters......

I respectfully disagree on this take. Any movie that has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it can never be accused 100% of having crappy characters. Plus I thought Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt had great chemistry together. The so-called bad guys were cookie cutter I'll agree with that but the entire good guy crew was pretty well done in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

58 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Twister was a great movie back then. The Aunt Meg feast scene makes my wife and me plunder the bloody fridge everytime that scene plays out, no matter what time of the day. And god help us if there are steaks in the freezer.

Yhe Aunt Meg scene was one of the few in the movie.outside the  scenes of destruction, that worked.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

Universal is confirmed to have domestic for this.

I always wonder with joint productions how they decide who gets distribution rights for domestic and overseas? I suspect OS has higher distribution costs but can be financially lucrative. Fox made more than Paramount on Titanic for example Tintin years ago had an unusual arrangement where Paramount had English language distribution and Sony everything else.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:58 AM, CaptNathanBrittles said:

PSH was awful in it. Let's not pretend everything he did was gold.

He's the most memorable character in it. He's great. And, of course, Todd Field ain't bad either... Before he went on to direct great movies like In The Bedroom, Little Children and, recently, Tar.

• Like 2

Twister was not all that great a movie. Yes, the effects were great for 1996, but outside of that iwas medicore made of TV stuff.

Irony is 1996, had some huge hits with franchsie potential ("Twister" "Independeince Day" "Mission Impossible' but MI was the only one that became a sucessful franchise;  For some reason they dealyed ID2 until 2016 and it was a disaster,who knows how Tiwsters will do.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the distribution will be the same as the first film where WB had domestic and Universal OS or will it be the other way round? 

Depends on if the contract for the first extends to the second. If it does not, no way Universal gives up any distribution rights.

Twister is an iconic classic for 1990s people, though it is also largely forgotten in 2023.  It's 1996 reception would have would have much, much worse had the film not been absolutely perfectly cast. Paxton and Hunt are individually great and had excellent chemistry. The supporting cast with PSH, Bill's completely out of place wife, Aunt Meg, Cameron from Ferris Bueller, etc made all of the non Twister scenes great. 

Yes, the ridiculous, extremely 1990s corporate subplot with the competing storm chasers trying to be the first successful launch Bill Paxton's idea was silly. Yes, that tornados are basically chasing down in the 2nd half of the film - it randomly shows up at the exact hotel they're at, and then another pops and hits Megs house 1 day after they leave? - is convenient. 

But it is a highly, highly entertaining movie & also the reason I once bought a red Dodge Ram. 😂

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1