Eric Duncan

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

22 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The OG is still in the top 100 adjusted for inflation DOM all this time later!! And it was way higher at the time of release. You can point to any other movie in the top 100 and it will make infinitely more sense to me how it happened to be huge at the time, but this one is a total mystery to me. Talk about your epitome right time, right place scenario I guess 

it was visual and auditory spectacle. Even now it’s still a perfect movie to test out your sound system. Also had Spielberg and Michael Crichton’s names all over the marketing who of course were coming off of Jurassic Park 

Edited by John Marston

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it was visual and auditory spectacle. Even now it’s still a perfect movie to test out your sound system. Also had Spielberg and Michale Crichton’s names all over the marketing who of course were coming off to Jurassic Park 

Disaster movies have a lot of popularity i find

Even if they flop domestically they are always on tv or do well on streaming. 

17 hours ago, Torontofan said:

However I feel this was a simple win, just have helen hunt who pays tribute to bill paxton who died in a tornado and the son or daughter devotes to research. It simple but that would hook in fans of the original 100% 

When this was originally given the green light they said the story would follow their daughter (the Daisy Edgar-Jones character presumably) but recent statements indicate they might've dropped the nostalgia bait for the original somewhere along the way, especially when nobody from the original, let alone Hunt, is returning for this. I guess we'll find out closer to release why, wouldn't be a surprise if they made an offer to Hunt and she declined.

16 hours ago, AniNate said:

Still has the best MPA rating description ever. I'll be disappointed if they don't write something similar for this movie.

For me, the Burton Alice in Wonderland will always hold that title just for having "a smoking caterpillar" in its description.

The conection to original cast was not necessary to capture interest. It just needs to deliver with what is promised: a good dumb disaster film. I think this will be one of the biggest BO surprises of the year, DOM and OS. I see many things on its side.

- Brand recognition. After the 1996 hit, audience knows what to expect.

- GA usually goes for these kind of guilty pleasures.

- Many time has passed since the last catastrophe spectacle.
- Many kids remain fascinated with the destruction force of twisters.

- Fresh faces with surging career.

- Great release date.

I don't think we can say "the original was successful so there's brand recognition and/or a fanbase". If that was the case then all previously successful IPs that studios drag out of the archives would be successful and we know that's not the case. 

I do think a decent disaster movie could still capture interest and it does have a good cast but it's far from a sure thing IMHO. A lot will depend on marketing (obviously). 

Curious to see the CGI in the trailer. The original's CGI was not by any means groundbreaking, but compared to tornado movies that came after it, it's Avatar 2 level. 

On a non-box office note: storm chasing had an explosion of people entering the hobby in the late 90s/early 2000s due to Twister and to a lesser degree after the Storm Chasers show on Discovery so I'm curious to see if it causes another spike. 

17 hours ago, Wombat said:

Curious to see the CGI in the trailer. The original's CGI was not by any means groundbreaking, but compared to tornado movies that came after it, it's Avatar 2 level. 

On a non-box office note: storm chasing had an explosion of people entering the hobby in the late 90s/early 2000s due to Twister and to a lesser degree after the Storm Chasers show on Discovery so I'm curious to see if it causes another spike. 

The movie CGI has this different quality to it so it doesnt look that dated or bad.

Also the original film was able to turn the twisters into characters as well. It was like a level progression of bosses lol.

Lvl 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and each had different abilities or issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

The movie CGI has this different quality to it so it doesnt look that dated or bad.

Also the original film was able to turn the twisters into characters as well. It was like a level progression of bosses lol.

Lvl 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and each had different abilities or issues. 

With the sequel, we will witness the first level 6 tornado ever

• Astonished 1

On 12/29/2023 at 9:34 PM, AniNate said:

All these quotes are really making it seem a lot more complicated than it is. It's conceptual sequel, not that hard to explain.

Conceptual Sequel sounds like a fancy name for "remake".

On 12/30/2023 at 1:02 AM, Bumblebee said:

I don't think we can say "the original was successful so there's brand recognition and/or a fanbase". If that was the case then all previously successful IPs that studios drag out of the archives would be successful and we know that's not the case. 

I do think a decent disaster movie could still capture interest and it does have a good cast but it's far from a sure thing IMHO. A lot will depend on marketing (obviously). 

I don;t know who that will do, but agree that a brand that has not had a movie out in nearly thirty years might not have  much in the way of box office draw on the name alone, I give you  what happaned with the Indpendence Sequrl (another 1996 hit) as an example.

And we have seen example after example of " courld not miss" films that supposedely had all the "sure fire" ingrediants for sucess but still failed at the box office.

Not saying that will happen, but I ma not as confident as some here this movie is sure fire. CGI extravganzas are a dime a dozen nowdays; was not that way in 1996.

I give you the belated sequel to Independence Day,another big hit in 1996, as evidence that