antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

35 minutes ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

I know that "The characters look bland and are devoid of life" is almost a tired complaint about Lion King 2019 at this point, but boooooy did this trailer fall flat for me because of this fact. The trailer uses Mufasa's appearance like some kind of exciting reveal that should garner applause, but he just looks like a regular lion. Frankly I can't tell the difference between him and adult Simba, and they barely looked different than Scar. The visual blandness and similarity between characters is as huge issue here. 

I honestly am scratching my head and surprised that so many are getting so defensive and defending it. I feel like if this movie looked the same and it was Favreau returning or just some hack they could hire and control rather than Jenkins we would not be seeing that.

He does matter, even if it's just marginally. I'm more willing to give this the benefit of the doubt with his apparent sincere enthusiasm for it. I would still not be surprised if it sucks though.

• Like 2

Right now, I'm predicting $280M Dom and $570M WW in total of $850M. Youtube trailer views have been lackluster, just 6.9M views in 6 days. It does have a great release date though for families and the IP is still iconic. If it's really good, I can see it doing a billion. I don't see it coming close to 2019 Lion King though. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As somebody who absolutely loves Reddit, I fucking hate it how they're so anti-Lion King. The Lion King made nearly $1.7B and was loved by the GA but the internet-nerd, fascist echo chambers have a really weird hatred for it lol.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

As somebody who absolutely loves Reddit, I fucking hate it how they're so anti-Lion King. The Lion King made nearly $1.7B and was loved by the GA but the internet-nerd, fascist echo chambers have a really weird hatred for it lol.

The first film was loved by the GA the same way the GA loved the Alice in Wonderland film from 2010...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I don’t think you have to be a fascist to recognise that it was dogshit. All Disney live-action remakes are bad but there was something even more lifeless than usual about it 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Hades said:

The first film was loved by the GA the same way the GA loved the Alice in Wonderland film from 2010...

The Lion King (2019) was so huge that even an Alice 1 --> Alice 2 percentage level drop would put this at $486M globally. Still bad I mean that'd be a total bomb on the likely $200M+ budget but not as awful as the anti-Lion King internet echo chamber wants this to do

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I don’t think you have to be a fascist to recognise that it was dogshit. All Disney live-action remakes are bad but there was something even more lifeless than usual about it 

No it wasn't

And for how much people complain that it was "soulless" and "creatively bankrupt" that isn't exactly special. The other top grossing movies (Endgame, Infinity War (yes), No Way Home, Force Awakens, Jurassic World) are all also creatively bankrupt nostalgia bait just like Lion King. And the highest grossing film ever, just like Lion King, is just a tech demo except it's a remake of Pocahontas lol.

Edited by HummingLemon496

Posted (edited)

A lot depends on who good it is ....soemthing a lot of people here forget. Yes, the brand name will help but the film is going to have be good on it;s own mertis, or you will see a big opening weekend followed by  not very good legs.

It has one hell of an act to follow.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)

There’s nothing the 2019 film provides that you couldn’t already get from the original. It’s half an hour longer than the original, and it doesn’t even make any meaningful changes to the story. That’s what makes it so forgettable and vapid.

There’s absolutely no incentive to rewatch it over the original film. It’s the epitome of Disney’s laziness in the late 2010s. They became victims of their own hubris. 

Edited by WittyUsername

The Lion King '19 definitely the worst of the direct remakes because they actually do invite direct comparisons to the original. The others (Beauty and the Beast '17, Aladdin '19, The Little Mermaid '23) will obviously never be anyone's preferred versions of the story, but at least the strength of their source material means that they provide some entertainment value of their own divorced from the aura of pointlessness.

Rule of thumb seems to be that if it successfully translated to Broadway (animated titles that went the stage route not yet given the live-action movie treatment: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Tarzan, Frozen), there's no reason to believe it can't work on celluloid a second time either (there was also an announcement during last year's edition of Disney on Broadway at Epcot caught by those in attendance of a Coco musical in development, which would make it the first Pixar movie to receive the stage treatment, though there's been no official news ever since). They've been trying to get live-action Hunchback and Hercules off the ground, but those seem incapable of escaping development hell.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dudalb said:

God, I don't get why some people are defending the mediocre at best live action remakes with such passion.

Umm…”The Jungle Book (2016)”, anyone? That’s the one the critics considers to be THE best of the Disney remakes so far and an example of how the remakes should be. 🙆🏻‍♀️

And also….opinions. Everyone has an opinion of defending at least some of their favorites and one they like. Just because you don’t get why, doesn’t mean no one is ever or should be justifyingly allowed to like certain of the better Disney remakes. Nobody is dumb or not allowed to really like a Disney remake especially if it’s one of the better ones.

There are no facts that not a single of the remakes are/or should be any good or well-received when in actuality, the good ones are usually the top-tier Disney remakes.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

I’ve never been big on Jon Favreau’s Jungle Book, but looking back, I can acknowledge that it was probably the best of these live action remakes. It at least did something different from the animated film, and took the story in a darker and more “epic” direction. If nothing else, it stands out enough from the animated version that I could understand going back to rewatch it. 

The biggest problem with this movie, simply from watching the trailer, is that it doesn't look visually distinct from Lion King 2019. It's not that it looks "bad" per se in terms of VFX but a lot of it looks very similar to scenes and visuals from the 2019 film without a "hook" to stand out.