CAYOM Year 8 Discussion Thread

36 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

What do you mean by that?

Some of the writers don't get around to writing some of their bigger projects, and that can for a variety of reasons. Let's say I want to write an adaptation of Yoshi's Island, and I put it on the schedule for Y8 (which is something you can still do by commenting in the advanced schedule thread--but use the submission thread schedule and the studios' Y8 release plans when you're deciding on a date). The only reason why my Yoshi's Island film wouldn't happen in Y8 is if I didn't get around to writing it--maybe I prioritized writing other films, or I couldn't really figure out the plot of Yoshi's Island--which the plot for Yoshi's Island is actually a really easy one to figure out, but that's besides the point 😂. It's something that happens all the time with me and other players--we plan to write a film but just don't get around to it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by SLAM!

2 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I thought you were talking about movies already on the official calendar. 

Oh, don't worry about those 😂--once the film is posted in the submission thread and it's colored in green on the official calendar, the film is on the calendar for good!

20 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Some of the writers don't get around to writing some of their bigger projects, and that can for a variety of reasons. Let's say I want to write an adaptation of Yoshi's Island, and I put it on the schedule for Y8 (which is something you can still do by commenting in the advanced schedule thread--but use the submission thread schedule and the studios' Y8 release plans when you're deciding on a date). The only reason why my Yoshi's Island film wouldn't happen in Y8 is if I didn't get around to writing it--maybe I prioritized writing other films, or I couldn't really figure out the plot of Yoshi's Island--which the plot for Yoshi's Island is actually a really easy one to figure out, but that's besides the point 😂. It's something that happens all the time with me and other players--we plan to write a film but just don't get around to it. 🤷‍♂️

Hold up a second, you can’t actually do that. Once the part 1 thread opens, the advanced claiming ends

@Alpha Some release date changes!

I want Panzer Dragoon to release on September 6th, and I want Fullmetal Alchemist to release on May 24th. Both of them can retain IMAX, and if @YourMother the Edgelord decides to give Meeka IMAX, then I'm okay either splitting or only giving Fullmetal one week.

You can also take SCYON off the list.

Edited by SLAM!

With less than 15 days to go, we need this many films:

2/16 - 1 - Pokémon is on this date

3/8 - filled but Zelda is on this date

5/3 - 1 - Mass Effect is on this date

5/31 - 1 - Meeka is on this date 

6/14 - 1 - Untitled RJ is on this date

6/28 - 1 - Beastars is on this date

7/12 - 1 - Ms. Marvel is on this date

7/26 - 1 - AOT2 is on this date

8/16 - 1 - RDR (I’m pretty sure RDR isn’t making it) is on this date

9/6 - 1 - Larrikins (Larrikins isn’t making it anymore) is on this date

10/4 - 1 - Olive 2 and Abomination (pretty sure Abomination isn’t making it) are on this date

11/1 - 1 - nothing goes wide on this date

11/8 - filled but Avatar is still scheduled

11/27 - 1? Don’t know whether or not to count Turkey. Everything We Miss and Castaways are on this date.

12/25 - 1, The Queen who Never Was is on this date

13 films are needed in total.

• Like 1

With all the willpower I have, I will make a valiant effort to try and get Titan 2 out. I have a good chunk of the film already written from a few months back, so that *might* make things easier for me to power through it. Unfortunately, this semester has kinda sorta been throwing wrenches into my free time to actually write it – no thanks in part to the feature length screenplay I've been working on these past two months for one of my classes. And with final projects just around the corner, I can't fully guarantee if I'll be able to follow through on that. 

I would ask for another extension, but given how many times Y8 has been delayed already, I feel that'd just be selfish on my part to keep dragging this year out any further. If the stars don't align for me, then it is what it is. 

• Like 2

Can only promise I'll try to get my wickerman movie and the RJ project out at this rate. Gonna push back Zelda for further retooling and the rest just aren't working the way I want them to. On top of all of that, my IRL work's been a pain since I started and it's made writing difficult in general. I hope over the summer I can get some real work done on my Y9 stuff, especially Hilda and Scav since they're big and complicated projects, but for now I have to pull back a bit.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

I can't guarantee Beastars will come out this year. Like Rory, my semester's also been pretty stressful and that's set me behind on a lot of my CAYOM writing. The goal right now is to have a first draft completed by May 2nd so I can spend the summer revising and doing Y8 reviews: that way I can put it out when Y9 starts and spend that time working on my smaller stuff.

As far as an extension goes, I don't know what everyone else's feelings are but I think we should just keep the May 2nd deadline as is and roll with it. Maybe we have a smaller slate of films released this year, but the Part 1 thread's been open for 5 months now and without any activity I think the game will get trapped in a state of limbo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

As far as an extension goes, I don't know what everyone else's feelings are but I think we should just keep the May 2nd deadline as is and roll with it. Maybe we have a smaller slate of films released this year, but the Part 1 thread's been open for 5 months now and without any activity I think the game will get trapped in a state of limbo.

I honestly feel the same way about the extension not being necessary. I'll be honest and say that I'm eager for the review phase, both to see reactions to my films as well as reactions to films that other players have posted so far. It would feel more taxing to prolong it more than we already have. And I think the slowly encroaching nature of the deadline could allow the creative gears to spin for some players.

23 hours ago, Alpha said:

I can't guarantee Beastars will come out this year. Like Rory, my semester's also been pretty stressful and that's set me behind on a lot of my CAYOM writing. The goal right now is to have a first draft completed by May 2nd so I can spend the summer revising and doing Y8 reviews: that way I can put it out when Y9 starts and spend that time working on my smaller stuff.

Just following up this post from yesterday to say that Beastars isn't coming out this year, I'm delaying it to Wanderer's current date on August 8th, Year 9.*

I partly blame my lack of progress on having just an absolutely-brutal workload for school (and I'm really glad I'll never have to take 5 classes in one semester again), but I also partly blame myself for spending more time getting my head stuck in screenplay advice books and making watchlists and lists of notes for myself, and less time actually outlining and writing the damn thing. A lot of it's because I'm just really bad when it comes to self-criticism as a writer, and always feeling like I'm unprepared or not ready to start something. But I'm realizing more and more that I just don't have the time to fret about this stuff anymore. Hell, I'm gonna be 21 in September: I gotta start tackling this stuff head-on so I can keep moving forward. 

So as far as my plan goes, it really hasn't changed. I'm still going to spend the next few weeks writing so I have a completed first draft I can spend the summer before Y9 revising: having a shitty first draft is a better situation to be in than no first draft at all. That means I might start reading and reviewing a little later than others this year, but it's so I'm able to focus on one CAYOM-related thing at a time and keep myself from putting off my writing any longer.

* As far as that film goes, consider it TBD because it's being put on the back-burner for now and I don't really know when I'm going to get to it. To be quite honest, I'm not really psyched about the idea of jumping into an epic space-opera project for CAYOM right after I've finished an already-long film like Beastars. I'd rather spend that time focusing on writing an actual feature-length screenplay, which is something I REALLY want to finish before I graduate from college.

• Like 3

If you're not familiar with the actual Pokemon in Pokemon I intend to edit in a separate Google doc tonight that will contain pictures of all the Pokemon mentioned in the plot summary so you can see what they look like for your mind's eye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

If you're not familiar with the actual Pokemon in Pokemon I intend to edit in a separate Google doc tonight that will contain pictures of all the Pokemon mentioned in the plot summary so you can see what they look like for your mind's eye.

Hmm.