YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

When are animated films ever frontloaded?

TS4 have an 10x, it was quite frontloaded for the genre.

And Lightyear previews starts 3PM, which don't help the multiplier. So 7M previews with similar multiplier would be 70M, a good result but a bit frontloaded.

But since Lightyear is not a direct sequel, maybe it can have 12x or so with good walkups, let's see how it goes, but definitely nothing points to a flop so far.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

When are animated films ever frontloaded?

What 3:00 PM previews and a more savvy audience gets ya. Bad Guys had a multiple of barely over 20 for OW from previews (Encanto may not be the best comparison cause of the five day but it did 18x for its previews/OW multiple). Lightyear probably due to being IP will skew more older and front-loaded than those two, kind of like Sonic 2 or even TS4 which iirc had a multiple of 10x.

Edited by YourMother

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Kinda crazy how broken RT is. 

The Metacritic is 59. 2 negative reviews, 13 mixed, 13 positive... that's mixed reception.

The RT average is 6.80.

Yet somehow the RT score is 81% just because the aggregate? 

So silly. And not at all reflective of the actual reviews. Yet some people will just see the 80% and assume it's solid instead of mixed

Working as intended. 

Not exactly the way Pixar want to welcome people back to big screen but the headline is still positive enough stir interest. The last major kid-friendly movie was back in April. The underserved demand is out there waiting for grab.

Still thinking this is doing 75m-80m for a 250m finish total. The good will from TS brand is simply too strong. Even cars 3 managed to do $152m. 

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

Ever since Across The Spider-verse moved to 2023, this was the lock for Best Animated Feature. Unless something comes around that's better, I think the only thing that might beat it is Turning Red.

Uh I kind of disagree (I still think Turning Red is the frontrunner) but it remains to be seen what the conventional wisdom among Oscar pundits is.

In my world, here in the Dallas Metroplex, we know many, many families who aren’t taking their kids to see this movie, and are very disappointed they won’t be going. Nobody is telling other people to boycott Disney or anything like that, they/we just aren’t ready to have the talk with our small children after a same sex kiss in an animated movie.  

• ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 5

23 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

In my world, here in the Dallas Metroplex, we know many, many families who aren’t taking their kids to see this movie, and are very disappointed they won’t be going. Nobody is telling other people to boycott Disney or anything like that, they/we just aren’t ready to have the talk with our small children after a same sex kiss in an animated movie.  

seriously? I bet they were also upset with Turning Red for "reasons".

Saw it last night at the Cineworld LS and honestly I rate it 6/10. Just felt very soulless and wasn't sure what it wanted to be. I also think Tim Allen is Buzz so maybe I was biased but I'm usually a huge fan of Pixar and this really missed the mark for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Do they still plan on seeing it themselves without the kids?

16 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Netflix have a pretty good shot this year.

Del Toro´s Pinocchio is coming on December, will probably be very artsy and could won.

Henry Selick is also coming back from his 13 year hiatus with Wendell & Wild on October

Netflix also has My Father's Dragon from Cartoon Saloon. Maybe not a frontrunner to win but Cartoon Saloon's last three films were all nominated so that gives Netflix three pretty decent chances.

It's actually a pretty promising/competitive year in terms of animated feature, so it'd be a weird year for a middlingly-received Pixar film to win. 

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Planodisney said:

You do realize it's very simple to to talk to small children about LGBT people right? 

"Mommy/Daddy why are those two men/women kissing"

"Well insert child's name, you know how me and your mommy/daddy like to kiss and it grosses you out. We just show how much we love each other that way. They do the same thing because they love one another and they deserve the same respect as me and your mommy/daddy do."

They don't want to talk about it because they want their child to be as ignorant as they are. 

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I know we all want to take a stand, but we really don't need to clog up this thread dunking on bigots. The elephant in the room is that is often what leads to threads becoming messes moreso than the initial dumb posts, which can be brushed away and forgotten once we move onto the next page if we actually let it.

So looks like Lightyear's probably gonna stay in the low 80s%/high 6s average rating area. Given it's a franchise and the elevated Pixar expectations almost certainly going to have legs under 3x. Just hoping it does well enough to not discourage an Elemental theatrical release.