Eric Duncan

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

Premiere on July 19 at night and reviews on July 20 

All very late, but it's not like JW where they screened and then hold the embargo until they can't anymore. With Nope even the premiere will be like 48 hours before previews starts, so i suspect it's mainly because the movie will be finished days before releasing (like NWH). 

Edited by ThomasNicole

On 7/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, ThomasNicole said:

Premiere on July 19 at night and reviews on July 20 

All very late, but it's not like JW where they screened and then hold the embargo until they can't anymore. With Nope even the premiere will be like 48 hours before previews starts, so i suspect it's mainly because the movie will be finished days before releasing (like NWH). 

Or, and stick with me now, maybe the movie isn't good. Just saying there's a much higher chance of the movie being bad with such a late embargo especially for a Jordan Peele movie. People will try to make the "spoilers" defense but critics by and large don't give out spoilers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Or, and stick with me now, maybe the movie isn't good. Just saying there's a much higher chance of the movie being bad with such a late embargo especially for a Jordan Peele movie. People will try to make the "spoilers" defense but critics by and large don't give out spoilers.

It's usually the obvious explanation, but here maybe isn't the case. Bad movies usually had screenings weeks prior release, they just put the embargo really late.

Here like i said we've been knew for months that VFX on Nope was having issues with time, the last test screening just few weeks ago have as it's main complain a third act pretty much without any complete effects, just 2 months before release.

There was even rumours that they was considering delay the movie to finish it, they didn't, but the movie apparently is still not done so it didn't screened at all, it does seems like a different situation. 

Maybe it's bad, who knows, but the premiere 2 days before release seems to have more to do with the rushed post.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

But there is no embargo. Reviews will be out as soon as the movie is seen. Also keep in mind 

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think it's bad. There's enough word about the screenings and quality. It just sounds a bit flawed/underwhelming/unfinished. I'd still expect like a 72-75 Metacritic and low/mid 80s on Rotten Tomatoes

kind of what I expect too. Jordan Peele hasn't failed with the critics yet.

This is the 2nd big bomb of the Summer. A Jordan Peele movie with a prime release date and with marketing starting one year before should be having way more hype than this one does. I am not even sure about 30M anymore. Thinking 25/60 right now.

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The exact same.  I feel absolutely zero buzz.  Everything is screaming red flags.  

Could it be possible that Thor 4 will be #1 again that weekend? Slim chance, but not 100% out of the question.

Edited by LegendaryBen

6 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Could it be possible that Thor 4 will be #1 again that weekend? Slim chance, but not 100% out of the question.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a slim chance... it could make $28 million or so the third weekend and maybe that would be enough.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

This is the 2nd big bomb of the Summer. A Jordan Peele movie with a prime release date and with marketing starting one year before should be having way more hype than this one does. I am not even sure about 30M anymore. Thinking 25/60 right now.

There is definitely a distinct lack of buzz. 

Us had crazy buzz throughout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Nope is the weirdest thing.  Jordan shot it in IMAX and they are all in on that, but somehow the visuals just look so incredibly small and boring.

Isn't this just another victim of the CGI debacle going on? I mean, all the rumors were that it would be a miracle if they completed the VFX in time..

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Isn't this just another victim of the CGI debacle going on? I mean, all the rumors were that it would be a miracle if they completed the VFX in time..

I'm not talking about the CGI, I'm talking about the actual setting of the film.  It's incredibly boring.