Eric Duncan

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm getting the feeling the movie will end up being pretty straightforward aliens in the end and the marketing playing up the mystery box might have been hurting the movie.

If it does turn out to be straightforward like Signs, best to get that out in the marketing right now rather than risk a big backlash later.

It seems quite straightforward from this new trailer. They are having the right approach. Imagine selling this as a mistery box horror thriller only to deliver a fun straightforward sci-fi romp with aliens. WOM would be bad just because people expected something completely different.

Edited by CJohn

Just saw the trailer. Eh. Unlike Us, at least it's honest about the movie being a comedy. I didn't think it was very funny (the female lead is annoying, not entertaining)  but it's definitely a comedy. Checks with screening reports. It's a Hollywood meta. 

Agreed that tone shift is really WTF. IMO, they shouldn't have made an ominous teaser if the movie is really like this trailer, which, going by Peele's previous work, is a given. That said, I assume that test audience loved the comedy tone and Palmer so trailer is tailored to that response.

Will wait for streaming. Definitely not a must see for me now that the hook is clear (like Bubble with UFO and I couldn't finish Bubble). Also, I like Kaluuya and Yeun but Palmer is insufferable from little I saw. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Disbelief 1

I'm ready to sound the alarm on this movie.  Not that it is moving, but that the marketing is just wrong and the actual interest in the film seems to be little to nothing less than a month out.  

Universal has got to start actually selling the film and not just the "from writer/director Jordan Peele", because not nearly enough people know who Jordan Peele is, and the ones that do realize Get Out was going on 6 years ago and Us wasn't exactly well received.

Looking at the ticket sales and overall interest levels, this feels like the first true bomb of the summer about to happen.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm ready to sound the alarm on this movie.  Not that it is moving, but that the marketing is just wrong and the actual interest in the film seems to be little to nothing less than a month out.  

Universal has got to start actually selling the film and not just the "from writer/director Jordan Peele", because not nearly enough people know who Jordan Peele is, and the ones that do realize Get Out was going on 6 years ago and Us wasn't exactly well received.

Looking at the ticket sales and overall interest levels, this feels like the first true bomb of the summer about to happen.  

Wow, if even you are low about the movie's chances, it is a bit worrying.

• Like 2

I'm all for allowing directors blank checks via studio system but this has red flags. I think Us proved Peele isn't the filmmaker Get Out indicated.. which yeah, understandable. Get Out was a generational film event. I've been calling this his M. Night film and the comparison continues to deepen..I thought he was a big enough name and the trailer marketed enough of an event to pop a nice opening but legs were always a concern. And I'm now convinced WOM will be awful after this confusing marketing scheme

Someone should open the Nope OW under Get Out's OW club

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Lightyear was literally a few days ago lol.

I don't want to get in a long debate on this, but not going to define a spinoff that opened to $51m+ a bomb.  It isn't doing well and won't end up with a good gross, but won't label it a bomb.  

• ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't want to get in a long debate on this, but not going to define a spinoff that opened to $51m+ a bomb.  It isn't doing well and won't end up with a good gross, but won't label it a bomb.  

Imo, the main problem for Lightyear is actually its OS gross. It has a real chance to miss 100M OS for its full run and combined with lets say 130M DOM, that means a 200ish gross worldwide, which is imo very much bomb-level if it really has a 200M budget. Disney could loose a ton of money with it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Jury is up in the air for that one considering it apparently cost 200M and the OS gross is pitiful. If it ends close to 400M I agree it isn't a bomb, but anything in the 200s puts it clearly in bomb territory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Fair but unless the former, I imagine the budget for Nope is low enough though that even it underperforms, it won’t lose money unlike the former. That’s like saying Solo wasn’t a bomb as it opened above $80m but made $393m on a $300m budget, that’s a bomb.

I do think hype has been deflated from a few weeks ago though.

Edited by YourMother

Not here for people dismissing Us. Peele directed the shit out of that movie - the ballet-fight sequence alone is masterful - and performances were top-notch from kids and adults alike. IMO, the movie's only undoing was pressure to make a social commentary to a story that was a straightforward revenge with a unique doppleganger mystery twist. The tethered shouldn't have been explained. Some mysteries are better left mysterious.

That said, Nope's hook - bunch of Hollywood people want to film real UFO - isn't nearly as hooky as Get Out and Us. Nor anything in the previews approaches the insta classic level of

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It's still too early to have a definitive say on boxoffice prospect but I agree that buzz isn't there atm and that full trailer with comedy tone deflated the interest. My guess is that comedy played well at the test screening so they highlighted it in marketing.