cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

1 hour ago, Kon said:

As you said, people can drastically change their mind.

So, I wouldn't be surprised Blue Beetle's low box office makes Gunn change his mind about using the character in the future.

Gunns Suicide Squad box office hasn't changed it getting at least two spinoffs. Blue Beetle showing up in the future is very plausible, especially when there's a Booster Gold project on the slate.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

No one is saying Affleck didn’t meet with Gunn. We’re saying Gunn may have not been telling the truth when he said Affleck wanted to be involved in the DCU. Why is it such a stretch that Gunn might’ve lied? 

Why would he have lied though? LOL like, it's an easily provable lie if Affleck just says so. Affleck has never said it was a lie.

39 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Why would he have lied though? LOL like, it's an easily provable lie if Affleck just says so. Affleck has never said it was a lie.

I can think of at least one potential reason. He might’ve hoped that people on the Internet would stop hassling him about making a Batfleck movie if he made it sound like Affleck was going to contribute to the DCU.  

As for Affleck never saying it was a lie, Affleck isn’t really an avid social media user. He’s not really known for addressing rumors like that. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can think of at least one potential reason. He might’ve hoped that people on the Internet would stop hassling him about making a Batfleck movie if he made it sound like Affleck was going to contribute to the DCU.  

As for Affleck never saying it was a lie, Affleck isn’t really an avid social media user. He’s not really known for addressing rumors like that. 

He literally did an interview in March and addressed it. There was no reason for him to not say that he never met with him or was never interested.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

No one is saying Affleck didn’t meet with Gunn. We’re saying Gunn may have not been telling the truth when he said Affleck wanted to be involved in the DCU. Why is it such a stretch that Gunn might’ve lied? 

Blind fanboyism goes a long way for people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Why the holy hell would Affleck want to re-board this sinking ship?!?

I mean what else does he have going for him? 

I’ll wait until Superman Legacy to see if the DC brand is truly dead for the foreseeable future. If Gunn can’t fix DC, no one can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

I mean what else does he have going for him? 

I’ll wait until Superman Legacy to see if the DC brand is truly dead for the foreseeable future. If Gunn can’t fix DC, no one can. 

He’s an A-lister who has his own production company, on top of being a well respected director. I don’t think he’s starving for cash that he’d need to keep doing capeshit. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

He’s an A-lister who has his own production company, on top of being a well respected director. I don’t think he’s starving for cash that he’d need to keep doing capeshit. 

He remarried JLo, the dude doesn't have the best judgment.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:07 PM, ChipDerby said:

Didn't he? 

Gunn tweeted Wednesday that he met with Batman actor Ben Affleck this week, to discuss the possibility of Affleck directing a future WB/DC movie. “He wants to direct & we want him to direct; we just have to find the right project.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/ben-affleck-air-production-company-grammys-memes-justice-league-1235353301/

Q: So if DC came to you now and said, “Do you want to direct something?

A: I would not direct something for the [James] Gunn DC. Absolutely not. I have nothing against James Gunn. Nice guy, sure he’s going to do a great job. I just wouldn’t want to go in and direct in the way they’re doing that. I’m not interested in that.

I'd argue it's academic whether or not we want to say this proves Gunn "lied" about Affleck's interest. Gunn met with Affleck and generated some positive press from the meeting giving the false impression Affleck might direct a "DCU/Gunnverse" film. Affleck is pretty explicit in his denial of interest in that (though perhaps he's willing to do an elseworlds film a/k/a something where he's genuinely retaining creative control)^1 which makes sense given his comments in that interview on Justice League.
The surface level reading of Gunn's comments is pretty directly contradicted by Affleck's AIR interview even if a closer reading shows how they can easily be reconciled as literally true. 

Why would Affleck "call James Gunn out" over this? This isn't a "Momoa in Frosty" situation, nobody's being hurt by some boring studio spin about vague future projects and it's not like it puts Affleck in a bad light.  

^1 I really think Joker/Batman "Elseworlds" is much more about editorial freedom than is/is not technically canon. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

15 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Didn't he? 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/ben-affleck-air-production-company-grammys-memes-justice-league-1235353301/

I'd argue it's academic whether or not we want to say this proves Gunn "lied" about Affleck's interest. Gunn met with Affleck and generated some positive press from the meeting giving the false impression Affleck might direct a "DCU/Gunnverse" film. Affleck is pretty explicit in his denial of interest in that (though perhaps he's willing to do an elseworlds film a/k/a something where he's genuinely retaining creative control)^1 which makes sense given his comments in that interview on Justice League.
The surface level reading of Gunn's comments is pretty directly contradicted by Affleck's AIR interview even if a closer reading shows how they can easily be reconciled as literally true. 

Why would Affleck "call James Gunn out" over this? This isn't a "Momoa in Frosty" situation, nobody's being hurt by some boring studio spin about vague future projects and it's not like it puts Affleck in a bad light.  

^1 I really think Joker/Batman "Elseworlds" is much more about editorial freedom than is/is not technically canon. 

Gunn said that Affleck wants to direct. He didn't say that he wants to direct DC movies.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Luiz is projecting for a 140M - 170M WW gross. 

I don't think even $140M is reachable at this point. In the very optimistic scenario where the film reaches $75M domestic, its ~55/45 domestic/OS ratio would amount to $136M worldwide total.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Gunn said that Affleck wants to direct. He didn't say that he wants to direct DC movies.

Met with Ben yesterday precisely because he wants to direct & we want him to direct; we just have to find the right project. https://t.co/Haz1APdlVN

I'd argue that the inherent grammar of this sentence involves Gunn talking about Affleck's interest in directing "a DCU film;"  however, that really doesn't matter. Again, I agree that there's likely a hyper pedantic way to parse Gunn and Affleck's comments as non contradictory. It's just not something that changes the underlying takeaway very much. 

Who cares if you call that a lie or just "intentionally dishonest in a way that you can argue is technically not a lie (because PR spin/leaks are inherently dishonest)?" It's literally just semantics. 

An announcement of a vaguely positive meeting is just not something you should treat all that seriously. 

Gunn's doing his job and his job involves some degree of obscurity involving future projects. People are too worked up by this stuff. Even if he's more open than a generic executive, he's obviously going to be far from an open book.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce