Eric Prime

93rd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | Nomadland, Hopkins, McDormand, Zhao, Youn, Kaluuya win

lmao how embarrassed must the Academy producers be to set up this big emotional Chadwick win, only for Joaquamole not giving a fuck and Hopkins winning, only to not even be at the ceremony. Must hurt to be them

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Bombay said:

lmao how embarrassed must the Academy producers be to set up this big emotional Chadwick win, only for Joaquamole not giving a fuck and Hopkins winning, only to not even be at the ceremony. Must hurt to be them

Phoenix wanted to get back home and Hopkins was probably resting in his castle.

Um... whoops? Talk about ending on a whimper.

Overall, not a terrible show. They definitely made some bold choices, and while some of those choices were baffling either in the moment (like not showing hardly anything from any of the nominated films) or in ever-so-slight hindsight (the decision to do Picture ahead of the lead acting awards took the energy out of the room, and it completely backfired when the not-present Anthony Hopkins was announced as winner), the upside that many of the speeches were really good is a positive development.

I won’t lie, I hope someone gets read to filth for this. They totally robbed Zhao of her triumphant end. They could’ve done the Boseman tribute at any time. Terrible. Just terrible. 

• Like 8

Just now, Cap said:

I won’t lie, I hope someone gets red to filth for this. They totally robbed Zhao of her triumphant end. They could’ve done the Boseman tribute at any time. Terrible. Just terrible. 

THIS!!!

The ending was so anticlimatic.

2 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Hopkins hasn't attended the Oscars in years. The last time he did was...the Slumdog Millionaire year (2008/2009). And he hasn't been to the Golden Globes in 15 years. He doesn't seem to care to attend these awards shows anymore.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Based on the anonymous ballots, it seems like lot of voters were expecting Boseman to win so they just voted for Hopkins instead. I think the narrative actually hurt him.

Pretty much a repeat of Colman vs Close.

Hopkins deserves it for The Father, the latter half of that film is absolutely devastating and it’s all because of his performance, I’ve genuinely not been moved by a film that much in years.

Absolutely hilarious how his no-show resulted in a massive anticlimax for the ceremony though!

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1