MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

THE HUBRIS!!!  I KNEW NOLAN COULDN'T BE CONTAINED!  THIS MUST BE INVESTIGATED!  

Seriously, though...great way to generate headlines, but the meaning of endeavors and using promotion to generate people's interest in further celebrating the ultimate form of destruction is quite...problematic.  

My Grandfather worked at Los Alamos during this period...so I'll have to see this.  But I can't say I'm really "looking forward" to it...

Also check out Roland Joffe's FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY...and of course Oliver Stone/Peter Kuznick's documentary UNTOLD HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES, Episode 4, for a great alternative analysis of this whole period.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

When you read about America's nuclear testing problem its both fascinating and really fucked up.

Like there are tons of nuclear craters out in the Nevadan desert only 50 miles or so from Las Vegas and Area 51.   People living in Las Vegas back in the day actually saw some of the Mushroom clouds from the explosions.

I haven't really cared for a Nolan venture since 2014's Interstellar so I'm hoping that changes given the subject matter here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

When you read about America's nuclear testing problem its both fascinating and really fucked up.

Like there are tons of nuclear craters out in the Nevadan desert only 50 miles or so from Las Vegas and Area 51.   People living in Las Vegas back in the day actually saw some of the Mushroom clouds from the explosions.

I haven't really cared for a Nolan venture since 2014's Interstellar so I'm hoping that changes given the subject matter here.

One of those craters even inspired a HULK...  😁

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Can't wait for this flop and for Barbie to crush it. Nolan annoying a$$ needs to be humbled. Besides being delusional, warner did everything he wanted to please him and that didn't stop him from being an ungrateful prick.

I hope karma doesn't let me down this time.

Imagine, on a box office forum, hating one of the guys who stood firm for theatres, especially during a time when theatres weren't a safe bet. 

You may have other reasons you dislike him and that's totally fair, but giving WB the finger shouldn't be one of them, in my mind. As an artist, and an accomplished one at that, he deserves to demand that his work isn't reduced to streaming like some cheap dollar store item.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Can't wait for this flop and for Barbie to crush it. Nolan annoying a$$ needs to be humbled. Besides being delusional, warner did everything he wanted to please him and that didn't stop him from being an ungrateful prick.

I hope karma doesn't let me down this time.

Barbie isn't gonna crush anything, its got two of the biggest box office poisons in history as its lead and limited demographic appeal just like oppenheimer except nolan has shown the ability to sell to the masses much more than greta has so far

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Barbie isn't gonna crush anything, its got two of the biggest box office poisons in history as its lead and limited demographic appeal just like oppenheimer except nolan has shown the ability to sell to the masses much more than greta has so far

Nolan movies are one of the only non-IP events left in cinema. Whatever he does, whatever the subject movie, he elevates it into something exciting and epic.

As for Barbie...internet sensation. It might have capitalized big on that sensation if it was close to releasing just as the online hype was building steam but the online reaction to it started way too early. By the time it actually comes.out, who knows how relevant it'll still be?

Edited by Verrows

Each time a director makes a bad movie, the next one suffers at the B.O.

Tenet was poorly received by many viewers and critics alike, and even some of the die-hard Nolan fans were underwhelmed by it.

Thus, I can't see this movie as a massive hit unless the reviews are raves. It also lacks the leading man  star power that Inception and Interstellar had, as Cillian Murphy is not on the same league as Leo and McC., especially internationally.

Barbie could be a hit or a miss, but I don't think it will take money off Oppenheimer, as the latter main target audience (straight dudebros pretending to be smart and nerdy film twitter snobs) will not show up for a Barbie movie, even if it had the whole world praising the film.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

I don't see the mass appeal of this at all but may well be surprised by the first trailer. 

I will say: if this disappoints or outright flops, Nolan will be in full "needs a comeback movie" territory.

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

This should move to December and try to ride the supposed Oscar noms/quality train. It's dead in the summer. Barbie will obilerate it

Eh I'm still not buying it. 

What I do believe is that this will be an increasingly rare example of a weekend where multiple openers break out. Nothing crazy but something like both around $40M? Barbie may very well beat Oppenheimer but it won't obliterate it. Both will coexist nicely, I think.

We'll see.

• Like 1

Barbie could be another Snakes On A Plane but this movie looks like a lot of scenes of people talking in rooms. And that's a good thing! I want to see that Nolan movie, but I'm not sure what the big spectacle is that'll bring the masses in. Its release date clash seems to suggest the studio knows what it is and its relatively limited appeal.