MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Saw the trailer with Avatar and have read the book they're using as a foundation for Oppenheimer's story. 

I strongly feel this is going to be a return to form for Nolan after the heat he took for Tenet. As a big Nolan fan, I didn't think Tenet was bad per say, but I do feel it was his first genuine misstep. Dunkirk demonstrated a growing maturity - both in subject matter and style - as well as a willingness to listen to some of his most ardent critics (particularly in the runtime and exposition department).

Tenet was a big step back in just about every way. It felt like an attempt to recapture the glory days of Inception rather than a genuine effort to break new ground. Not that I think Nolan has grown beyond blockbuster/genre filmmaking - but for the first time (apart from perhaps TDKR) it felt like he was treading water. And while his dedication to theaters during the pandemic was admirable, he clearly took a reputational hit by forcing the film's release. All the more reason why it's important for Oppenheimer to win him back some goodwill. 

I'm admittedly a bit puzzled by the summer release date. It worked for Dunkirk, but that was a more immediately visceral experience. As a July release, this has the potential to under-perform (though I suppose it's more modestly budgeted). Releasing in December would have strongly positioned it for best picture (the book is that good - and a great fit for Nolan's style of cold, clinical filmmaking told on the biggest scale possible). Not to mention the timing considering Putin's war in Ukraine, which has put nuclear weapons on the front page for the first time since the Cold War. 

Edited by daftcat
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just got a look and if the trailer is any indication, the guy is totally pushing the abstract elements of his last two movies to a whole another level.

Give me the rationale/details. All i got was a potato cam trailer in Italian, unless we're going off the same thing

Edited by MrPink

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Give me the rationale/details. All i got was a potato cam trailer in Italian, unless we're going off the same thing

Guessing they're referring to the abstract Tree of Life-esque visuals that are being used to depict nuclear fission. There was a bunch of it in the first teaser as well. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

Yeah it's the same thing Im going off. Unless it's just for the trailer (which I doubt), I wonder if all that imagery is gonna take up a sizable amount of screentime.

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 hours ago, daftcat said:

Saw the trailer with Avatar and have read the book they're using as a foundation for Oppenheimer's story. 

I strongly feel this is going to be a return to form for Nolan after the heat he took for Tenet. As a big Nolan fan, I didn't think Tenet was bad per say, but I do feel it was his first genuine misstep. Dunkirk demonstrated a growing maturity - both in subject matter and style - as well as a willingness to listen to some of his most ardent critics (particularly in the runtime and exposition department).

Tenet was a big step back in just about every way. It felt like an attempt to recapture the glory days of Inception rather than a genuine effort to break new ground. Not that I think Nolan has grown beyond blockbuster/genre filmmaking - but for the first time (apart from perhaps TDKR) it felt like he was treading water. And while his dedication to theaters during the pandemic was admirable, he clearly took a reputational hit by forcing the film's release. All the more reason why it's important for Oppenheimer to win him back some goodwill. 

I'm admittedly a bit puzzled by the summer release date. It worked for Dunkirk, but that was a more immediately visceral experience. As a July release, this has the potential to under-perform (though I suppose it's more modestly budgeted). Releasing in December would have strongly positioned it for best picture (the book is that good - and a great fit for Nolan's style of cold, clinical filmmaking told on the biggest scale possible). Not to mention the timing considering Putin's war in Ukraine, which has put nuclear weapons on the front page for the first time since the Cold War. 

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing. I won't be seeing Avatar in IMAX until next week or maybe even the week following Christmas so regrettably I won't be able to see the trailer myself until then.

Regarding the date... Nolan sure loves that 3rd weekend of July. Maybe he's superstitious after The Dark Knight blew up on that date. Only Interstellar released on a different date ever since (not counting Tenet since it was originally scheduled for July 17 and only got moved due to obvious unique circumstances).

• Like 1

The true stars of the trailer:

1) Cillian Murphy's cheekbones

2) Josh Hartnett's face triumphant return to major motion pictures 

3) The tower from the which the bomb will eventually drop 

4) Music that plays over the final 40 seconds 

Edited by excel1