MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Yeah, there's no action, but it has pretty fast pace, sometimes very similar to Social Network.

Indeed. I checked the clock several times with Mission Impossible a few days ago. But I didn’t check the clock at all with Oppenheimer. It moves pretty fast and the non-linear aspect forced me to pay attention. Some folks will probably get bored though. 

Just grabbed a ticket for my 2nd viewing on Tuesday, July 25th. I'm checking out a Cinemark XD screen. Never been to this place. Hopefully it will be a similar quality presentation to my experience this morning with Regal's RPX screen. Cinemark's Discount Tuesday price for this XD screen is $9 compared to $14 on the weekend. Nice! 

• Like 2

to be fair for audience reception

its already get

94% in RT 

9.0 in IMDB

4.4 in letterboxd

4.4 in allocine for france

all of them is either joint number 1 or number 2 in every nolan movies. what more do you guys want ? 

nolan movies always get mid cinemascore but it doesnt stop them to having average 3.5x multiplier. even dunkirk get those with less imax demands. 

if you guys look at twitter or letterboxd, many audience recommend this movie or want to see it again. sure there is like 5-10% who might get bored because they aren't the target demographic at first and only get pulled because barbenheimer madness.

80m/280m still very good number.

Edited by rayjulio

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Indeed. I checked the clock several times with Mission Impossible a few days ago. But I didn’t check the clock at all with Oppenheimer. It moves pretty fast and the non-linear aspect forced me to pay attention. Some folks will probably get bored though. 

I was worried about the reviews with the Tik Tok crowd because of this, heck even me myself feel like my attention span has greatly decreased with all these social media and short video clips, but it seems like Nolan is good at keeping people focused.

1 hour ago, rayjulio said:

to be fair for audience reception

its already get

94% in RT 

9.0 in IMDB

4.4 in letterboxd

4.4 in allocine for france

all of them is either joint number 1 or number 2 in every nolan movies. what more do you guys want ? 

nolan movies always get mid cinemascore but it doesnt stop them to having average 3.5x multiplier. even dunkirk get those with less imax demands. 

if you guys look at twitter or letterboxd, many audience recommend this movie or want to see it again. sure there is like 5-10% who might get bored because they aren't the target demographic at first and only get pulled because barbenheimer madness.

80m/280m still very good number.

Some are just forever haters. The movies obviously getting at least good overall reception.

its early post track was also a 5

This is going to make $300m, isn't it. It's first obvious grand slam since TDKR, or some might argue Inception. 

Good grief, Nolan's next picture is going to beyond hyped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

My IMAX theater has apparently been having issues with the 70MM version. Hoping they got it sorted out by Tuesday when I see it.

I'm scared this will happen in the cinema I'm seeing it at tmrw. But 7 screenings so far and I've heard no problems yet. It's also the biggest IMAX screen in the US after the Lincoln so I'm guessing they have the best guys working the projector here.

An A Cinemascore... a relatively light August and September ahead... IMAX shows nearly full a month in advance...

I know it's daring to suggest but $300+ million domestic might be in play here. WOM is even better than other Nolan films and spillover will definitely occur, keep in mind that this is an 80+ million opening with less theaters than Dunkirk and limited capacity. Hell, I know people who are waiting to see it till the coming weeks.

At the very least, the floor now has to be $250 - $275 million.

• Like 1

I think this was my favorite Nolan venture since The Dark Knight. Just such an utterly compelling, masterful piece of cinema that utilizes every trick available to it to remain riveting even when the "action" onscreen is literally just a bureaucratic procedural.

I couldn't really get a definite read on how my boomer-heavy sellout crowd reacted to it, but given that I saw it at a pub cinema where the wait staff were in and out with drink orders every five minutes or so, I feel like I would have heard them voice their boredom or displeasure if there had been any, so... stellar, then?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I think this was my favorite Nolan venture since The Dark Knight. Just such an utterly compelling, masterful piece of cinema that utilizes every trick available to it to remain riveting even when the "action" onscreen is literally just a bureaucratic procedural.

I couldn't really get a definite read on how my boomer-heavy sellout crowd reacted to it, but given that I saw it at a pub cinema where the wait staff were in and out with drink orders every five minutes or so, I feel like I would have heard them voice their boredom or displeasure if there had been any, so... stellar, then?

i'm kind of agree with you, surprisingly i thought even women under 25 appreciate this movie more given their review that i read and of course men under 25 and 25-40 very favourable to this movie. So gen z and millenial men seems really like it. So i guess even with A cinemascore, i'm kind of tempering my expectation a bit for this movie legs.

85/275 should be the target for now. unless it drops only 50% in Monday then yeah 300 

Edited by rayjulio

4 minutes ago, rayjulio said:

i'm kind of agree with you, surprisingly i thought even women under 25 appreciate this movie more given their review that i read and of course men under 25 and 25-40 very favourable to this movie. So gen z and millenial men seems really like it. So i guess even with A cinemascore, i'm kind of tempering my expectation a bit for this movie legs.

85/275 should be the target for now. unless it drops only 50% in Monday then yeah 300 

I'll go with $72M weekend and $180M total. It does not seem like the type of movie that will have strong legs. No action, very dark for a summer movie, etc. The $180M total is still a very good number considering the media said it was tracking to make $40-50M for opening weekend. You would need pretty strong legs to reach $180M after an opening of $50M or less. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'll go with $72M weekend and $180M total. It does not seem like the type of movie that will have strong legs. No action, very dark for a summer movie, etc. The $180M total is still a very good number considering the media said it was tracking to make $40-50M for opening weekend. You would need pretty strong legs to reach $180M after an opening of $50M or less. 

what? Lol it’s guaranteed at least a 75m weekend at this point with potential for even more. 200m minimum is a lock at this point

Theres no way its missing 200m with 70+ this weekend. Its imax bookings are insane for the next 3 weeks and it had great audience reaction mixed with leaning towards an older crowd, of course itll have at least decent legs

Edited by DK000
  • Like 1