MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

42 minutes ago, solaris said:

I did a Nolan comp chart. Not sure if this really tells us anything, except to say it's an almost unimpeachable track record both critically and in terms of BO.

RT Crit RT Aud CS OW Domestic Total Multi Comments
Memento 93% 94% - $235,488 $25,544,867 n/a no wide opening
Insomnia 92% 77% B 20,930,169 67,355,513 3.22  
Batman Begins 84% 94% A 48,745,440 205,343,774 4.21 5 DAY OW
The Prestige 76% 92% B 14,801,808 53,089,891 3.59  
The Dark Knight 94% 94% A 158,411,483 533,345,358 3.37  
Inception 87% 91% B+ 62,785,337 292,576,195 4.66  
TDKR 87% 90% A 160,887,295 448,139,099 2.79  
Interstellar 73% 86% B+ 47,510,360 188,020,017 3.96  
Dunkirk 92% 81% A- 50,513,488 188,045,546 3.72  
Tenet 69% 76% B 9,353,090 58,504,105 6.26 covid
AVERAGE 85% 88% - 63,770,941 226,046,611 3.54  
Oppenheimer 94% 94% A 80,000,000 283,573,185 3.54  

Early days but RT critics/aud & CS are all in line with TDK. Still surprised at the B+ for Inception. Dunkirk feels like the closest comparison (historical, 'dad' movie, summer weekdays) but on a bigger scale and with bigger numbers.

Trying to extrapolate what this could mean for Oppy. Based on Nolan's 'average' multi of 3.54 (and assuming an $80m OW) gets us to $283.5m. A 4 multi gets us to $320m. Dunkirk feels like a realistic target - which gets us to $300m more or less. I'm also assuming there'll be some Christmas/Winter IMAX re-releases when it's nominated for the inevitable 10+ Oscars.

Those CS are interesting.  I am a DKR defender but  i am pretty sure Inception is a much better regarded movie than that and always has been.   

Inception got D among older audience. Its the younger audience giving it a A pulled up the overall numbers. I remember the shock and folks were talking about movie dying quickly. But it made a spectacular comeback. 

Cinemascore polls 5 theaters vs Postrak 20 theaters. Cinemascore just polls on opening day while Postrak tracks through 2nd weekend. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cinemascore-retreat-as-studios-turn-648341/

Plus despite everything, scores are relative based on genre. So you dont need to please everyone to get good legs as well. 

• Like 2

This site did not exist during inception's release and BOM's forum was purged long back. But KJ had interesting threads on Inception. There used to be a betting site which gave lowest odds for Inception to open between 55-75m. Expectations at KJ were even higher among optimists(as were at BOM).

The narrative shifted after amazing Sunday hold for sure.

https://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&start=8010 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, Redolent said:

Tired of people and their crappy takes on why Oppenheimer should have been another type of movie. Of course Altman is not stupid here - he hasn’t missed the message, he just doesn’t like it (and the implications for the AI sector) 

"generation of kids"

the movie's rated R it was never meant to inspire kids

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

Personally feel the 2nd half really worked for me more so than say the first hour

Absolutely the case for me too. I was disoriented by the quick editing until Matt Damon showed up. It did not help that I was running on 2-3 hours of sleep, which probably was a factor in my confusion during the early part of the movie. I’ll be seeing it again on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see how it plays on the 2nd watch. 

5 hours ago, Redolent said:

Tired of people and their crappy takes on why Oppenheimer should have been another type of movie. Of course Altman is not stupid here - he hasn’t missed the message, he just doesn’t like it (and the implications for the AI sector) 

The accessible PG-13 "Yeah science!" movie already exists, its called The Martian.

This is very much a historical drama.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The accessible PG-13 "Yeah science!" movie already exists, its called The Martian.

This is very much a historical drama.

Watched The Martian last night. Damn good movie of course. Really enjoy Damon’s performance. The rescue aspect felt pretty similar to Apollo 13, another great space movie. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

People complaining about the score being loud make me wanna see the movie. I loved Ludwig Göransson's music for Turning Red so of course I'd like more of his stuff.

There's nothing wrong with the score, I love loud as fuck shit too (Spiderverse is my #1 movie this year for that). It's how it's mixed in with the heavy dialogue that for me, was a problem. It's not just me, my parents who I watched it with had the same complaint, it's hard to follow the dialogue and if you can't follow the dialogue in one scene it can make later scenes confusing. Like I got the general gist of the movie but I feel like I missed a LOT of finer details because I couldn't hear everything. Maybe it was my showing (IMAX was LOUD), but in any case I think I'll enjoy this a lot more when I watch it again with subtitles.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

People complaining about the score being loud make me wanna see the movie. I loved Ludwig Göransson's music for Turning Red so of course I'd like more of his stuff.

It's his best score yet imo. He goes so hard.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

There's nothing wrong with the score, I love loud as fuck shit too (Spiderverse is my #1 movie this year for that). It's how it's mixed in with the heavy dialogue that for me, was a problem. It's not just me, my parents who I watched it with had the same complaint, it's hard to follow the dialogue and if you can't follow the dialogue in one scene it can make later scenes confusing. Like I got the general gist of the movie but I feel like I missed a LOT of finer details because I couldn't hear everything. Maybe it was my showing (IMAX was LOUD), but in any case I think I'll enjoy this a lot more when I watch it again with subtitles.

Seems to be hit or miss depending on the auditorium. Audio/dialogue seemed pretty clear in my showing. But the fast pace editing had me kind of disoriented until Matt Damon showed up. 

• Like 1