MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The lead of the recent Scream movies just got fired, and Susan Sarandon was dropped by her talent agency. 

Disgusting.

The lobbying for Israel is nauseating. I hope she sues the fuck out of them.

13 hours ago, excel1 said:

how quickly you have forgotten Americas completely error free response to 9/11

You seem to completely agree with me then, no nation in human history (or at least would be hard to think) would have had a less reckless response. USA response to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 being good example.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Barnack said:

You seem to completely agree with me then, no nation in human history (or at least would be hard to think) would have had a less reckless response. USA response to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 being good example.

pearl harbor is a totally different animal though

On 11/21/2023 at 11:20 PM, WittyUsername said:

The lead of the recent Scream movies just got fired, and Susan Sarandon was dropped by her talent agency. 

Sarandon went way overboard with what she said and is frankly an idiot. The Scream actress shouldn't have been fired for what she said and its already spawned an enormous backlash. 

3 hours ago, eeetooki said:

Pretty sure the narrative is basically it's Oppenheimer's to lose everywhere lol which makes me nervous.

There hasn't been a Best Picture winner as popular as Oppenheimer in 20 years and the voting system is totally different now. People are so used to the "little movie that could" winning over the frontrunner. Although last season, I think there was a lot of denial about the eventual winner actually being the frontrunner because it was so unconventional for an Oscar juggernaut. You can't really say the same for Oppenheimer, the awards pedigree is strong all around.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There hasn't been a Best Picture winner as popular as Oppenheimer in 20 years and the voting system is totally different now. People are so used to the "little movie that could" winning over the frontrunner. Although last season, I think there was a lot of denial about the eventual winner actually being the frontrunner because it was so unconventional for an Oscar juggernaut. You can't really say the same for Oppenheimer, the awards pedigree is strong all around.

I think you can also said that for nomadland. It basically sweep the whole season although you can attribute that to Covid. 

Argo and 12 years a slave is also another winning all the way kind of frontrunner to prevail at the Oscar in the last 10 years. 

for Oppenheimer to win, they better stay low profile until later to avoid unnecessary backlash drama. Definitely we wouldn’t want to have another SPR incident. 

37 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think you can also said that for nomadland. It basically sweep the whole season although you can attribute that to Covid. 

Argo and 12 years a slave is also another winning all the way kind of frontrunner to prevail at the Oscar in the last 10 years. 

for Oppenheimer to win, they better stay low profile until later to avoid unnecessary backlash drama. Definitely we wouldn’t want to have another SPR incident. 

I don't think Argo was the frontrunner that whole year, Lincoln just didn't win as much as predicted outside of Daniel Day-Lewis. 12 Years a Slave won ultimately but did fade for a while versus Gravity and American Hustle, which was beneficial in the long run. Nomadland went wire-to-wire but the Covid-era awards seasons are such an anomaly.

The Oscars aren't until March, so I expect a newer darling to be the toast of awards season for a time. Maybe The Holdovers or Poor Things, possibly The Color Purple if critics really like it. I think Nolan wins even if the movie doesn't. The critics will likely push smaller films while the industry breaks big for Oppenheimer later on.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

They also need to keep the buzz going until Oscars season, because there have always been front runners that fizzle out. People have also been predicting that Oppenheimer would have the frontrunner fatigue since it came out during the summer but luckily it hasn't happened yet.

15 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

They should rerelease the film during Xmas to keep the Oscar Buzz and try to get it to 1 billion. 

The fact is it already made 950 million. It's not gonna do another 50 when it's still playing in cinemas. This would be an expansion, not a re-release years after the fact.

If it wins 6+ Oscars, including Director and/or Picture, it may make another 5-10 worldwide with a massive re-release come spring, as Dune will be the only major IMAX movie then, but that's about it. 

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Oppenheimer's own page had 25 million views as well. Suffice to say the movie definitely increased his profile with those less-familiar.