MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

On 12/13/2023 at 7:33 AM, Squire said:

I like Blunt, but IMO her performance is paint-by-the-numbers. 

Blunt is good in Oppenheimer (when isn't she good,even if the movie is not good) but not exceptional.

its unfortunate a funny humane story from Nolan on everyone on a social media being a critic has lead to someone getting doxxed on social media. That said I am sure nothing would happen to her. But her behavior around a Pelaton session was weird but what do I know about these classes. I find it stupid paying for 1000s of $ for a bike and then paying for a video lesson when you can do it for free with youtube and any equipment(or do it without any equipment as well =).

• Like 1

Blunt is great with a very one-note character here. It's hardly Oscar stuff though, she is barely in the movie. 

Anyone here going to catch Oppenheimer again in IMAX 70mm film?

It will be in a few places. Melbourne Australia, Tempe Arizona, Nashville TN, NYC, lots of places in California.

Even have heard that it's coming to Vaughan Ontario, Canada again but I can't confirm that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Anyone here going to catch Oppenheimer again in IMAX 70mm film?

It will be in a few places. Melbourne Australia, Tempe Arizona, Nashville TN, NYC, lots of places in California.

Even have heard that it's coming to Vaughan Ontario, Canada again but I can't confirm that.

If Canada ever gets anything it's in the east coast. Crying in the west coast right now.

Might miss this 70mm re-release again because I'll only have two free days to go to the cinemas before college starts and I'd rather catch up on movies I haven't seen this year (specifically Iron Claw and Ferrari) than watch this on IMAX 70mm again.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Might miss this 70mm re-release again because I'll only have two free days to go to the cinemas before college starts and I'd rather catch up on movies I haven't seen this year (specifically Iron Claw and Ferrari) than watch this on IMAX 70mm again.

It will probably be back on 70mm on and off until the Oscars. As long as you have a 70mm theatre near you I think you have other chances.

Edited by eeetooki
typo

On 1/12/2024 at 1:39 PM, movies!movies! said:

They are really pushing this hard during  tonight's exclusive Peacock playoff game. The February 16 premiere date is more than a month from now, so they'll milk some people for an extra month of subscriptions.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

The lasting impact of this film is significant. Whatever Nolan or Murphy do for follow up is going to be very noteworthy. 

On 12/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, titanic2187 said:

If Dunkirk didn’t get in, there shouldn’t be any expectation that Oppenheimer would get in. True that quantimania getting in is a disgrace but my point I don’t get why there is people expecting Oppenheimer to win this category to begin with. Trinity scene worked mostly thanks to sound design, score and editing. It is Nolan’s direction that make whole sequences work so great without exaggerated special effect. 

Well, when Oppy got a nominations on VES Awards, Academy Award snub looks even more funnier.

7 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Well, when Oppy got a nominations on VES Awards, Academy Award snub looks even more funnier.

Nope, VES doesn’t really go full match with Oscar. In fact I find it VES award is a funnier one since they put Oppenheimer in a photoreal category instead of supporting. Must be one of the photoreal nominees with least % of special effect.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Nope, VES doesn’t really go full match with Oscar.

Yeah, i know. But from my point of view, VES is more competent and always was.

In fact I find it VES award is a funnier one since they put Oppenheimer in a photoreal category instead of supporting. Must be one of the photoreal nominees with least % of special effect.

I'm sure they have their own reasons. But yeah, Dunkirk, for example, was in support category.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

19 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Yeah, i know. But from my point of view, VES is more competent and always was.

I'm sure they have their own reasons. But yeah, Dunkirk, for example, was in support category.

How can VES be more competent when their membership mostly overlap with Oscar?Whatever the reason they put Oppenheimer in photoreal is simply a showcase of incompetence. don’t forget they didn’t pick tenet and interstellar for the win at VES award that year but Oscar did for both years.

Not just Dunkirk, 1917, first man, the revenant, deepwater horizon, Lone Ranger all got supporting VFX slot and you can’t argue that Oppenheimer is featuring anymore effect driven moment than those. 

In fact I think make up department in this movie deserve more attention than VfX. The way they effortlessly deage Murphy using traditional makeup, in fact look better compared to many CGI deage products out there.

Edited by titanic2187

How can VES be more competent when their membership mostly overlap with Oscar?

May be it's not overlap too much. Just one example: Ex-Machina. Academy Award nominee (also winner), but 0 nominations on VES. And this is not only one example.