2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

. I hope it gets IMAX release in big cities

the article I linked to makes note of IMAX

they have at least two suitable venues

109 Cinemas in Osaka ExpoCity

wbzi77l1difb1.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg

and Grand Cinema Sunshine in Tokyo

jawf70xp8x9a1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

These would be IMAX Laser, in the correct aspect ratio. but they wouldn't use IMAX 70mm 15 perf film.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

the article I linked to makes note of IMAX

they have at least two suitable venues

109 Cinemas in Osaka ExpoCity

wbzi77l1difb1.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg

and Grand Cinema Sunshine in Tokyo

jawf70xp8x9a1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

These would be IMAX Laser, in the correct aspect ratio. but they wouldn't use IMAX 70mm 15 perf film.

Curious how much it would make in Japan. 2024 might push it towards 1 billion after all.

They have registered a X (formerly Twitter) handle under the name - @Oppenheimer_jp

So, new information will follow anytime. The handle is currently under construction (in private)

Distributor Site - https://www.bitters.co.jp/movies/

"Parasite" which did ¥4.74B is the Highest Grossing Title distributed by Bitters End. This time, Germany-Japan combined nomination of Best Picture "Perfect Days" is distributed by Bitters End on 12/22 at 158 Locs

Website of Oppenheimer - oppenheimermovie.jp

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

Remember when Nolan's quotes about "no CGI shots" in Oppenheimer got broadly taken to mean there was no CGI period in the movie, and prominent VFX artists were highly critical of Nolan for failing to correct that impression? Remember how discussions of that topic quickly got the "move along, nothing to see" treatment?

Well, anyway...

Oppenheimer snubbed as Oscars finalist for Visual Effects in favor of 20 other movies. There's been some form of a competitive category for effects at the Oscars since 1939 and the "Visual Effects" nomenclature goes back to the 1960s, so no, it's not just a "Best CGI" award. 

• Haha 3

It's mostly wound up being "best CGI" but yes special effects and other effects are included, which is why animated films are also allowed, albeit rare.

But yeah this is voted on by the VFX Committee, so Nolan downplaying VFX involvement in the movie may not have helped him here. Lots of awards predicting sites had Oppenheimer to win outright actually 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's mostly wound up being "best CGI" but yes special effects and other effects are included, which is why animated films are also allowed, albeit rare.

But yeah this is voted on by the VFX Committee, so Nolan downplaying VFX involvement in the movie may not have helped him here. Lots of awards predicting sites had Oppenheimer to win outright actually 

The thing is, there was CGI in Oppenheimer.

What Christopher Nolan Really Means When He Says Oppenheimer Has "No CGI"

When Christopher Nolan says Oppenheimer has “zero" CGI shots, this doesn't mean that nothing in the movie’s production process was achieved via computer effects. He means everything was filmed practically, at least at first. According to Nolan, there is no shot in Oppenheimer that was originally created on a computer. There will be VFX and CGI involved, which are technically different but are both achieved almost entirely via computer technology nowadays. However, Nolan’s no-CGI vision for Oppenheimer means that these instances of VFX and CGI will be supplemental. VFX and CGI were added to existing footage that Nolan filmed instead of VFX artists creating new shots entirely via computer technology.

There is less CGI or VFX here than in most movies, but I think Nolan knew perfectly well how "no CGI shots" would be understood by general audiences and most media. And there wasn't exactly a rush to correct the "no CGI at all" impression. So yeah, VFX artists being irritated with him for that is perfectly understandable IMO.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I never understand the “hype” around Oppenheimer in regard to actually wining VFX prize. It isn’t even in the realm of First Man or 1917 where the VFX really part of the magic of the final product. Even by supporting standard, Oppenheimer’s VFX is still very minimal. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There is less CGI or VFX here than in most movies, but I think Nolan knew perfectly well how "no CGI shots" would be understood by general audiences and most media. And there wasn't exactly a rush to correct the "no CGI at all" impression. So yeah, VFX artists being irritated with him for that is perfectly understandable IMO.

Just that Wired video where Nolan answers "Why Christopher Nolan doesn't use CGI?" and he's like "it's too distracting" or something. That was absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

In a normal year, Nolan "No CGI" won't not be as nearly as irritating as it is now because in recent years VFX artist have been under intense amount of production pressure, yet underpaid and exploited. Therefore any comment that seem to deny their efforts and presence is really not a welcoming gesture. Probably that is why Avatar 2 got intense support from community last year for simply acknowledging what they done is cool and make them not feeling underappreciated.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I never understand the “hype” around Oppenheimer in regard to actually wining VFX prize. It isn’t even in the realm of First Man or 1917 where the VFX really part of the magic of the final product. Even by supporting standard, Oppenheimer’s VFX is still very minimal. 

The Trinity test sequence got a lot of hype for having "no CGI" and general audiences seem turned off by very obvious/bad effects in other big movies. Other Nolan movies have been nominated for VFX and even won. The work in Oppenheimer was minimal for the category, but I think the idea was that if it could get the nomination, it could pull off the win from the Academy at large. Kind of like the years when a so-so Disney movie wins Best Animated Feature because of name recognition, even if animators aren't that impressed with it.

I thought Oppenheimer might falter at the nomination or shortlist stage, but missing the Top 20 to the likes of Quantumania, that just seems disrespectful.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Trinity test sequence got a lot of hype for having "no CGI" and general audiences seem turned off by very obvious/bad effects in other big movies. Other Nolan movies have been nominated for VFX and even won. The work in Oppenheimer was minimal for the category, but I think the idea was that if it could get the nomination, it could pull off the win from the Academy at large. Kind of like the years when a so-so Disney movie wins Best Animated Feature because of name recognition, even if animators aren't that impressed with it.

I thought Oppenheimer might falter at the nomination or shortlist stage, but missing the Top 20 to the likes of Quantumania, that just seems disrespectful.

If Dunkirk didn’t get in, there shouldn’t be any expectation that Oppenheimer would get in. True that quantimania getting in is a disgrace but my point I don’t get why there is people expecting Oppenheimer to win this category to begin with. Trinity scene worked mostly thanks to sound design, score and editing. It is Nolan’s direction that make whole sequences work so great without exaggerated special effect. 

• Like 1

There's something really depressing about the fact that the more seamless the CGI in a film is, the more willing directors and stars are to downplay or even deny the efforts of those artists. There has to be a better way for filmmakers to talk about how their team integrated practical and CGI effects without throwing these people under the bus to try and give their films a greater air of authenticity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1