charlie Jatinder

SHANG CHI SECOND WEEKEND THREAD: 35.8M (-53%), DILF Leung Conquers #1 Spot | Free Guy 5.8, Malignant 5.6, Candyman 4.9, Jungle Cruise 2.4, Card Counter 1.1

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Shang Chi is a Z-list character who opened over Labor Day, are we sure that this isn't the normal box office total it would have had? The box office def not fully back but I don't think Shang is the best example - the better example is that the films 5-10 are much lower than weekends in years past. 

Exactly. Just because it seems Shang-Chi is probably doing close to what would have done in a normal market, doesn't mean the market is back to normal. People are insane.

@4815162342 and with Disney+, at least Disney gets some money from people who buy it on Premier Access. Piracy with the WB stuff is also insane and WB gets zero from that because movies aren't on HBO or anywhere else in Europe (everyone I know saw Malign already, and also saw The Suicide Squad, Black Widow, The Conjuring 3 and Space Jam 2, and nobody payed to see them).

In Europe, it isn't a case of theaters or renting digitally. It is a case of theaters or online torrents/piracy. Plain and simple. It is visceral.

Edited by CJ Sarandos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

I didnt expect Captain Marvel to gross 300m yet it cleared 400m and shattered 1b WW. I didn't expect black panther to make more than Civil War but it made a mind boggling 700m domestically. Noone expected GOTG to be the Highest grossing CBM of its year but it did. Noone expected Endgame to become the highest grossing movie of all time but it did. 

It's very probable people lowballed this too

Yet oddly enough far from home basically did exactly what is expected to even though it followed end game and had a ton of iron Man content in it

@4815162342 Great analysis! I just don't think that BW would have a good repeat business. Actors were really let down by poor script and poor directing and it wasn't really a story that fans wanted to see for they were gearing up for Nat as a real BW and perhaps meeting Hawkeye. But anyway, PA is good as dead now thanks to Tony Leung the real hero of SC success. And, of course, that certain no more secret bonus.:)

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@4815162342 Great analysis! I just don't think that BW would have a good repeat business. Actors were really let down by poor script and poor directing and it wasn't really a story that fans wanted to see for they were gearing up for Nat as a real BW and perhaps meeting Hawkeye. But anyway, PA is good as dead now thanks to Tony Leung the real hero of SC success. And, of course, that certain no more secret bonus.:)

It’s all subjective. 
There have been worse MCU movies than BW that did well with repeat business. 

I mean, I went back to see Thor 2 twice and I didn’t like it much. 

I thought SC and BW overall were about on a par in terms of quality.  The latter had some terrific scenes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

For big movies (franchises specifically) yeah i'm sure is close to normal, maybe 85%?

For smaller movies obviously it isn't, but why? Sometimes i don't think is because of COVID, we're talking about how smaller movies clearly are losing space for quite some time now. The pandemic and home comsumption maybe accelerated this process, that's the reasonable explanation of why specific big movies are doing good despite Delta and everything else is meh.

Bingo right here. When people are discussing how much small/medium movies are “being impacted by covid” I sometimes wonder if they remember how those sorts of releases were trending in 2018-2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It’s all subjective. 
There have been worse MCU movies than BW that did well with repeat business. 

I mean, I went back to see Thor 2 twice and I didn’t like it much. 

I thought SC and BW overall were about on a par in terms of quality.  The latter had some terrific scenes. 

TDW is considered a MCU stinker which BW is not. However, BW is a filler, not an essential viewing, which is a problem in itself especially if the quality is mid-tier. But anyway, what's done is done. Yelena will get a better movie when they decide to make a solo sequel, hopefully with a better writer/director. If they could change CM writing-directing team despite much bigger boxoffice, than they can certainly do it for BW 2.

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TDW is considered a MCU stinker which BW is not. However, BW is a filler, not an essential viewing, which is a problem in itself especially if the quality is mid-tier. But anyway, what's done is done. Yelena will get a better movie when they decide to make a solo sequel, hopefully with a better writer/director. If they could change CM writing-directing team despite much bigger boxoffice, than they can certainly do it for BW 2.

Yelena is going to be relegated to be a side character, if anything she gets a D+ series, unless she gets to be on the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers project.

Edited by Fox20

11 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Yelena is going to be relegated to be a side character, if anything she gets a D+ series, unless she gets to be on the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers project.

which seems to be on the table cause Val is obviously recruiting characters for something. MCU is expanding in all directions. Multiverse, time, space, anti-heroes. :bravo:

Personally I feel we are still about 25% under normalcy. That takes Shang-Chi from 235 to 313. Even that would be like 80th DOM, vs:

IM1 21st

gotg1 31st

SMH 49th   

350 in normalcy doesn’t sound too outlandish really, then we are like 33% short.

20 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Personally I feel we are still about 25% under normalcy. That takes Shang-Chi from 235 to 313. Even that would be like 80th DOM, vs:

IM1 21st

gotg1 31st

SMH 49th   

350 in normalcy doesn’t sound too outlandish really, then we are like 33% short.

Personally think SC would have done about half of BP without pandemic, so I agree we're about 33% short. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If you guys think box office is already back to normal than ERC was right to compare Shang-Chi's opening to other pre-pandemic Marvel movies?

I don't think I said anything about the comparison, SC was always gonna do Ant-man numbers in USA.

What ERC was doing is spin a negative narrative as its among weakest MCU opening, despite solid opening, when it was always supposed to be among them.

The WW box office is still not normal. SC would have done $50-75M more in the OS-C & $150-200M in China for $425-500M INT.