Eric the Minion

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, but Disney has guaranteed that all their fans will be staying home on Thanksgiving weekend to watch Disenchanted, b/c in their wisdom, they have set the D+ release for that movie one day after Strange World's theatrical release...

Why?  You'd have to ask them, but they have seemingly torched their own theatrical movie offering before it even opens.

This might be as bad as preannouncing Encanto's 30 days to D+...instead, they are giving Strange World 1 day before a sequel to a VERY popular original family movie hits their streaming service...

PS - I guarantee Strange World is on D+ for Dec 25, seeing this set up plan from Disney...

Absolutely no reason to put this movie on D+ after 30 days. Nobody is buying a D+ sub just to watch Strange World.

9 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, but Disney has guaranteed that all their fans will be staying home on Thanksgiving weekend to watch Disenchanted, b/c in their wisdom, they have set the D+ release for that movie one day after Strange World's theatrical release...

Why?  You'd have to ask them, but they have seemingly torched their own theatrical movie offering before it even opens.

This might be as bad as preannouncing Encanto's 30 days to D+...instead, they are giving Strange World 1 day before a sequel to a VERY popular original family movie hits their streaming service...

PS - I guarantee Strange World is on D+ for Dec 25, seeing this set up plan from Disney...

It’s crazyyy how they decided to release simultaneously on theatres and D+ this Thanksgiving. And with Disenchanted being a sequel to a beloved film, it definitely will eat some audience from Strange World.

Can’t they have Disenchanted on D+ by Christmas instead?! Ughhh.

• Like 1

Guys, you know that Disney fans can watch two movies over one weekend? Do you seriously believe the average Disney Adult is going to be like "gee golly willikers I sure am excited for Strange World. But uh-oh! Some random Disney+ movie is also coming out at that weekend. I guess I am now forced by law to not see a movie I was excited about in theaters because apparently I am only allowed to see one thing on a holiday weekend where I have way more free time." This is the same thing when people are all "OMG what if the Game of Thrones final season hurts Endgame's box office???????????"

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Eric from Progressive said:

Guys, you know that Disney fans can watch two movies over one weekend? Do you seriously believe the average Disney Adult is going to be like "gee golly willikers I sure am excited for Strange World. But uh-oh! Some random Disney+ movie is also coming out at that weekend. I guess I am now forced by law to not see a movie I was excited about in theaters because apparently I am only allowed to see one thing on a holiday weekend where I have way more free time." This is the same thing when people are all "OMG what if the Game of Thrones final season hurts Endgame's box office???????????"

You also do realize that there’s a reason why studios decide to spread out animated films throughout the year? Or CBM? Or whatever genre of films…it’s because they don’t want to compete their films with each other because of limited 1) Money 2) time 3) preference of the casual movie-goers.

Casual families can go watch Disenchanted on black friday night instead of rushing to theatres when they see it’s available in D+. And who knows if they might have the luxury of time to watch another movie for the weekend.

It’s a valid concern.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

You also do realize that there’s a reason why studios decide to spread out animated films throughout the year? Or CBM? Or whatever genre of films…it’s because they don’t want to compete their films with each other because of limited 1) Money 2) time 3) preference of the casual movie-goers.

Casual families can go watch Disenchanted on black friday night instead of rushing to theatres when they see it’s available in D+. And who knows if they might have the luxury of time to watch another movie for the weekend.

It’s a valid concern.

And they can’t go the next day? Or on Sunday? Or next week? If there is an audience that wants to see Strange World in theaters, they will go. And some random Disney+ movie won’t force somebody to stop, since that also can be watched at any time as well

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Eric from Progressive said:

And they can’t go the next day? Or on Sunday? Or next week? If there is an audience that wants to see Strange World in theaters, they will go. And some random Disney+ movie won’t force somebody to stop, since that also can be watched at any time as well

No, it will give the "not all that interested" group (like grandma, granddad, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc), which is a huge group at holidays, a chance to convince "motivated to see this" kids that the D+ home movie is great after Thanksgiving dinner, and mom and dad can take them solo to that other theatrical movie later...that's a lot of potential tickets permanently lost on both OW and after...especially if mom and dad also never bother to schedule that theatrical trip...

I can't count the number of times at Thanksgiving Thurs/Fri or Christmas week (depending what day we all got together), we had 22 people buying tickets to the same movie after a negotiation on what that movie was, with it almost always being animated/family b/c that was the least "rebelled against" by someone...

Disney is now literally undercutting itself by giving folks a great viewing option against its own theatrical...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 9/25/2022 at 10:31 PM, JWR said:

You're certainly not wrong. Disney now has to condition families out of staying at home for these movies. 

Are we sure it wasn't just a case of the unwanted Lightyear being the wrong film to release in theatres? It got beat by Encanto and Turning Red pretty fast on the Disney+ weekly charts (making the decision to send TR straight to streaming all the more infuriating).

Unfortunately, Stranger Things doesn't seem to be an Encanto or Turning Red.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Are we sure it wasn't just a case of the unwanted Lightyear being the wrong film to release in theatres? It got beat by Encanto and Turning Red pretty fast on the Disney+ weekly charts (making the decision to send TR straight to streaming all the more infuriating).

You're right. There was also that.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:36 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I don't know. There are a lot of factors here. I mean CARS II and CARS III still made a lot of money. I think the major reason here is that families do not think these movies are not major theatrical experiences anymore and that they'd rather stay home and watch them on streaming. And that if they have the chance to watch one or two animated movies in the cinema every year, they would go for the very popular ones like THE MINIONS, which I thought was terrible.

33 minutes ago, JWR said:

Hard to emphasize how badly Chapek has bungled the marketing for this and how poorly this could bode for Disney's future animated offerings if his recent comments are anything to go by....

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-devotion-the-fabelmans-glass-onion-a-knives-out-mystery-and-strange-world/

Not getting 1x the production budget in the US ($120M) would be catastrophic...but here we are.  

I kinda thought going in that Lightyear's numbers would be the expected ones...but this forecast has that lower to a lot lower...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Wish will be a HUGE hit next year. Multicultural princess with appearances from legendary characters. Again, it's a musical and they all do well, but still.

Hopefully it and Elemental are successful. Because otherwise, I think there's cause for concern

Disney Animation is quickly slipping back into the slump they were in during the 2000s. This movie is already a tough sell as is. Couple that with the devauling of the Disney Animation brand because of Disney+ and you'll get a guaranteed flop. The marketing hasn't really worked either, and there's barely any excitement for it. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see some major layoffs hit the main animation studio's way.

23 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Wish will be a HUGE hit next year. Multicultural princess with appearances from legendary characters. Again, it's a musical and they all do well, but still.

Encanto barely squaked past $200M worldwide, so I'm not as bullish on Wish as you are. The stakes on it are far higher than Strange World since while the latter's losses will be canceled out by Wakanda Forever and Avatar 2, Wish is currently Disney's sole holiday tentpole for both the Thanksgiving and Christmas corridors thanks to Blade's recent development troubles and Rogue Squadron being shelved. Good luck to it, because after the constant financial failure Disney's animated movies after Frozen 2 suffered it'll need it. Badly.

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Disney Animation is quickly slipping back into the slump they were in during the 2000s. This movie is already a tough sell as is. Couple that with the devauling of the Disney Animation brand because of Disney+ and you'll get a guaranteed flop. The marketing hasn't really worked either, and there's barely any excitement for it. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see some major layoffs hit the main animation studio's way.

Encanto barely squaked past $200M worldwide, so I'm not as bullish on Wish as you are. The stakes on it are far higher than Strange World since while the latter's losses will be canceled out by Wakanda Forever and Avatar 2, Wish is currently Disney's sole holiday tentpole for both the Thanksgiving and Christmas corridors thanks to Blade's recent development troubles and Rogue Squadron being shelved. Good luck to it, because after the constant financial failure Disney's animated movies after Frozen 2 suffered it'll need it. Badly.

And we all know how that ended for the guy running Disney during that time...