The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

Have this year's awards bait musicals really flopped any more than 2021's awards bait dramas? I mean, In the Heights has made more than most things that were Best Picture hopefuls at any point, besides maybe Dune and House of Gucci. Dear Evan Hansen made more domestically than The Last Duel. Not that either made very much, but there seems to be a perception that live-action musicals are DOOMED while dramas will just...go to streaming? When neither has really been doing much in theaters lately, and at least musicals can do very well with rewatchability on streaming services. And since all the metrics have shifted to hours watched for streamers, wouldn't musicals be more valuable to them vs heavy dramas?

The awards watcher types were generally pretty bad at interpreting box office even before the pandemic, and now the takes from that sphere are truly insufferable.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

Someone on reddit asked if the pandemic ACTUALLY helped NWH. What do you think? Are people tired of the pandemic and wanted to get out the house to see a movie?

No when they didn't show up for anything else this way the entire year.

And also i doubt we're gonna see something this massive again next year, maybe Avatar 2 but in a long term, definitely not on OW.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Someone on reddit asked if the pandemic ACTUALLY helped NWH. What do you think? Are people tired of the pandemic and wanted to get out the house to see a movie?

Difficult to say. Pandemic fatigue did not seem to have helped other movies though, in fact grosses so far for other blockbuster movies have been depressed. They have done far less than what they would have done without the pandemic. Without the pandemic NWH’s gross, at least OS, would have been higher. It had the potential for 2b

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And also i doubt we're gonna see something this massive again next year, maybe Avatar 2 but in a long term, definitely not on OW.

If it can actually release next year, I wouldn't underestimate Wakanda...

Well, domestically at least.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I disagree, actually.  Mentally the last two years have been a never ending stream of shit for a lot of people.  Having a HUGE EVENT where they could have a communal experience and just have fun?

I think one should absolutely not underestimate the "finally able to enjoy life" factor.

To put it another way, while there were absolutely people who stayed away from the OW due to Omicron/COVID, there were just as many, if not more, who were fucking sick and tired of the last two years and wanted to party.

Would NWH have made more or less in a different enviornment?  Well, it's an excellently crafted movie that speaks to a lot of folks, so hard to say.  But I wouldn't underestimate how much a film like this plays right now.  Not one little bit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor said:

If it can actually release next year, I wouldn't underestimate Wakanda...

Well, domestically at least.

Right now I'm thinking this is the top 5 OW next year...

1. Wakanda Forever - $185M
2. Multiverse of Madness - $160M
3. The Batman - $145M
4. Love & Thunder - $140M
5. Avatar 2 - $130M

My main caveat is Avatar 2. I can also see it making $250M. I just don't know how to gauge it yet. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Hi all, great to see you again after so much time :)

I've watched NWH 2 days ago here in Romania, it's doing great numbers around here too (even though 50% capacity restrictions are still in place). I really liked the movie, definitely the most rewatchable of the MCU Spidey ones, but - in my opinion, it's no way near IW or EG.

Box office-wise I fully expect it to go above IW when we get actuals, the reception is phenomenal everywhere.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I admit it. I am actually still crying in emotion from what I experienced today.

Awesome to see what they did with the best and andrew joining mcu spider. Definitely some teary eyed moments. How do they top this though. 😱💪

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'd say there's some truth to that. People want to escape the drudgery of their lives, I think the financial crash of 08/09 helped Avatar in more than just an economic sense. People were hurting, they wanted escapism.

I think that we might see a bumper year at the movies in '22 if our governments let us out.

4 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

3. The Batman - $145M
5. Avatar 2 - $130M

My main caveat is Avatar 2. I can also see it making $250M. I just don't know how to gauge it yet. 

If jc blows people mind like he did with T2, titan and Avatar. You already know. Domestic may hit 1 billy , but the os nums will be especially crazy if all goes well Venom. Wow I cant wait.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

3. The Batman - $145M
5. Avatar 2 - $130M

Opening weekend probably not. It's more of a legs film imo.

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The trailer views for the trailer destroyed Endgame.

And the opening weekend was 100 million short of Endgame.

So obviously there was demand for a bigger weekend than 253 m.

• Like 1

If AVATAR 2 was released in 2014 as planned, it will be a straightforward sequel. But with 13 years gap now, it is long enough to call it a nostalgic-fueled film. If the marketing and film really delivered, I can see it easily coming in at 150m. The only concern is A2 will surely marketed heavily in 3D but the 3D has been pretty dead almost everywhere. How much 3D capacity will be available out there for A2?  But again considering A1 did 2.7bn with far smaller 3D scale , that shouldn't be a big problem as long as they able to retain 3D showtimes for a long period.

A2 will be the hardest film to predict in many years. We just not sure if people cares or really don't care as it seems.  

10 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

3. The Batman - $145M
5. Avatar 2 - $130M

Idk but im expecting more from Thor4.

160M maybe

and Avatar 2 is a wildcar

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

No way home was the first uber blockbuster of the covid Era.

Add in nostalgia and a novelty in its storyline it was destined to be a mega hit 

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Now sony and dis need to saddle up raimi and tobey and give us an ultimate Spider-Man movie. How about mcu spidey and garfield joining tobeys universe with venom vs a team of big baddies for Spider-Man 4.

• ...wtf 1