Eric Prime

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

45 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So does this have a chance at becoming the highest grossing Spider-man movie adjusted?

What's the magic number?

Now that I think about it, the highest grossing Spider-Man movie is technically Avengers: Endgame (he’s in it so it counts!!) SOOOOOO the real question is can NWH beat that….

We’d need about 3.3x legs to achieve it.

Count me as someone who absolutely adores all three Matrix films. The sequels are as dense as anything done on that scale, so were always going to divide opinion. 
I’m hoping Resurrections is equally as mind-bending - super excited for Wednesday. 

and yes….HBO Max will tear it in literal half. Probably more so. I’ll be shocked if it does $100 million. 

Up and down the country adults will be talking about both Spidey and Matrix. Watching the latter at home, and Spidey on the big screen.  Warner Bros only have themselves to blame for throwing money down the drain. 

Honestly stopped paying attention to the box office because everything has been so dead this year.  I was so tuned out that I was still in 'yes, finally a movie with an over 100M opening!' mode.  So imagine my surprise when NWH is getting 50M in previews? 120M Friday?! 250M OW?!? What?!?!?

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Felandria said:

The two numbers to look at:

TFA Sat: $68.3m -42.7%

AIW Sat: $82.1 -22.8%

Which way does it go?

Probably better to look at it true friday to sat 

TFA True Fri to Sat: $62.1 to $68.3 (+10%)

IW: $67.3 to $82.1 (+22%)

We've already been told not to expect an Infinity War type increase, but hopefully it can manage something. It only needs 12% from True Friday to Sat to hit $80 million.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Felandria said:

The two numbers to look at:

TFA Sat: $68.3m -42.7%

AIW Sat: $82.1 -22.8%

Which way does it go?

Personally? AIW. 

WOM is exceptional.  On top of what the tracking thread is reporting, if I hadn’t seen the film, and I saw these new “lockdown/cap limits” are coming (here for Canada, rumored for LA or NYC), I would absolutely say “the hell with it” and try to see it ASAP. Even if couldn’t get a prime PLF seat. 

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

This will be succcch a wild card. I could see it outright bombing to doing a decent run. 

I've been thinking 75M DOM for a while now. Even if you take out all the Rowling/Depp stuff, which is still a big factor, it just feels like only the absolute biggest Potter diehards truly care about this series or what goes on there. Hell, I'm a Potter diehard (Screw Joanne tho) and I didn't even get into the first Fantastic Beasts.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

I thought Spider-Man was entertaining, but it all felt a bit gimmicky to me. I wish I didn’t know what everyone knew before going in, would’ve had an impact. Some of those villains were cringe. 

Zendaya and Tom remain excellent together. 

3/5 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Osborn said:

I've been thinking 75M DOM for a while now. Even if you take out all the Rowling/Depp stuff, which is still a big factor, it just feels like only the absolute biggest Potter diehards truly care about this series or what goes on there. Hell, I'm a Potter diehard (Screw Joanne tho) and I didn't even get into the first Fantastic Beasts.

I agree. Crimes of Grindelwald (otherwise known as The Crimes of Writing a nonsensical Script with way too many characters and flasbacks) kind of destroyed any momentum that the first movie gave for the series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Osborn said:

I've been thinking 75M DOM for a while now.

For a hot second I read that as 750M and was like “wtf is he smoking?!” :rofl:

otherwise; hard same. 

2 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

I'm getting the sense that post Endgame the Avengers aren't much of a coherent team, much more loosely connected.  Just seems to be the vibe I've gotten from FFM, NWH, and the Disney+ shows.

For me, Endgame felt like the end of the MCU as we knew it to that point (which is why i personnally also chose to stop watching Marvel movies by then, it felt right). So with the new movies and shows now i think Marvel plans to establish a new direction for the MCU, maybe one that isnt centered arount an overarching storyline like the Infinity Saga.

Also adding into the debates earlier about the next quarter and Omnicron and all that crap, Scream, Morbius, Uncharted, Batman, Sonic, and Beasts will all stay intact. Those are the big (or supposed to be in some cases) movies and the audiences for those don't give two craps about any variants. Turning Red will probably stay theaters only too, though it'll probably suffer because I still don't see kids or families coming back yet.

The smaller releases should still release on their dates, but a couple of the more notable ones, like Bad Guys or Lost City or Downton Abbey or Ambulance will probably get a day-and-date launch, either on PVOD or on Peacock/Paramount+. I know some will yell at me for daring to suggest this and that Omnicron is totes not a problem (btw please don't bother with the yelling, it won't change my mind), but these companies want streaming product out there and those are audience demos that aren't willing to come back yet and I see little evidence of them eager to return.

• Like 6