Eric is Anxious

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I definitely think it’s getting a boost.  I’m just thinking something more along the lines of $140-150m.  Which is still really, really good. 

If we think of NWH as TA1, and DS2 as IM3, we're looking at an opening weekend of....

$218 MILLION!! 

16 minutes ago, Menor said:

If we are considering only the USA/West then maybe, but Endgame's global opening puts it in a class of its own. Yes, TPM didn't have as many markets, but still. 

Plus TFA's total was more impressive in 2015 than TPM's in 1999, though it did have the benefit of December and stronger reception. 

imagine if TPM had opened in a PLF world though.  It’s difficult to compare I know. 

I can only go off the buzz I felt everywhere for these movies. I felt TFA and TPM were comparable. 

Endgame - the figures speak for themselves, but I personally did not feel the same kind of mania for it coming out. Everybody was going to go and see it, but it was almost the finale of something everybody was watching already. 

With both Star Wars comebacks, there was a generational kind of hope and expectation.  

Anyway, people of different ages will feel differently to me I’m sure. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

imagine if TPM had opened in a PLF world though.  It’s difficult to compare I know. 

I can only go off the buzz I felt everywhere for these movies. I felt TFA and TPM were comparable. 

Endgame - the figures speak for themselves, but I personally did not feel the same kind of mania for it coming out. Everybody was going to go and see it, but it was almost the finale of something everybody was watching already. 

With both Star Wars comebacks, there was a generational kind of hope and expectation.  

Anyway, people of different ages will feel differently to me I’m sure. 

I mean in my generation the Endgame buzz was way broader and bigger but I think that the box office numbers are much better indicators of the hype since they correct for a lot of our POV biases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Knights of Ren said:

They can throw all characters in the world in DS2, it still won't get the GA anywhere near as excited as they were to see T&A again. 

Even if it also include some beloved older characters from another studio?

We'll see then, i really don't think it will match NWH, but with the right marketing, i can see 200M.

Civil War almost doubled it's OW from Winter Soldier, and Marvel is a bit smaller in 2016 than now. Double DS opening and we already have +170M.

• Like 1

Can I just say guys and gals, how freakin’ amazing this weekend has been. Just like the old days we took for granted and honestly wondered if they would ever return. 

All of this excitement over big box office has been something I’ve deeply missed. I’m sure I’m not alone in that. 

It’s great to see so many back on here with so much enthusiasm and hope.  A Christmas miracle of sorts. 

SECOND BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND OF ALL-TIME. 

Some thought we’d never see the likes of what we’re witnessing in cinemas ever again. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Even if it also include some beloved older characters from another studio?

We'll see then, i really don't think it will match NWH, but with the right marketing, i can see 200M.

Civil War almost doubled it's OW from Winter Soldier, and Marvel is a bit smaller in 2016 than now. Double DS opening and we already have +170M.

170 seems about right for Strange. The character is not an A lister but both he and Wanda are strong B listers. The multiverse characters will add hype but not close to T&A.

• Like 2

Just now, Menor said:

170 seems about right for Strange. The character is not an A lister but both he and Wanda are strong B listers. The multiverse characters will add hype but not close to T&A.

Yeah i can see 170 as well to be honest. I said 200M just to be a little bold (and because who knows, can happen).

• Like 1

I'm assuming Wakanda Forever gets pushed back/scrapped completely, and in that case, I honestly think Love and Thunder will probably be the biggest Marvel movie next year. People love the guy after Ragnarok, Taika will have a lot of the fun vibes and energy retained, and the stuff with Guardians and Portman as Lady Thor seem like good enough hooks to spice things up. Doctor Strange is my favorite MCU character and I'm suuuuper hyped for Multiverse of Madness, but I'm still not wholly convinced he's big enough of a name, nor will the fun multiverse stuff be as strong of a hook like NWH had, despite some of the alleged cameos. Could be wrong of course and obviously marketing could change my mind just like that.

5th months back I would have taken a bet for Dr Strange 2 over NWH OW but with all reshoot news and fact NWH is 260, seems a bit unlikely, but Dr Strange is the TONY of this Phase. It is blowing away with $200M+ with unless get Eternals-esque reception.

Oh also Thor 4.

Thor and Dr Strange are the two who had biggest boost from Infinity War.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Eric Osborn said:

I'm assuming Wakanda Forever gets pushed back/scrapped completely, and in that case, I honestly think Love and Thunder will probably be the biggest Marvel movie next year. People love the guy after Ragnarok, Taika will have a lot of the fun vibes and energy retained, and the stuff with Guardians and Portman as Lady Thor seem like good enough hooks to spice things up. Doctor Strange is my favorite MCU character and I'm suuuuper hyped for Multiverse of Madness, but I'm still not wholly convinced he's big enough of a name, nor will the fun multiverse stuff be as strong of a hook like NWH had, despite some of the alleged cameos. Could be wrong of course and obviously marketing could change my mind just like that.

scrapped completely? wut? that's crazy but at this point i do expect it to be lowest grosser among next year's MCU releases. 

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

5th months back I would have taken a bet for Dr Strange 2 over NWH OW but with all reshoot news and fact NWH is 260, seems a bit unlikely, but Dr Strange is the TONY of this Phase. It is blowing away with $200M+ with unless get Eternals-esque reception.

Oh also Thor 4.

Thor and Dr Strange are the two who had biggest boost from Infinity War.

He is nowhere close to Tony's popularity imo. Thor and Peter and the Guardians are bigger, while Tony was unmatched when he had his solo movies. Yeah he will have a big part 2 but that's because of multiverse stuff. 

• Like 1