Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

I did a cursory glance about an hour ago, and already Uncharted's got a very strong leapfrog in today's sales. And while this is based on an established property, I don't really see Uncharted as something with a huge fan rush to buy tickets the first day, more of a "big boost on the final week" kind of deal. Could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Yall chill. The tickets were supposed to officially launch today, but they went ahead and dropped them early unannounced. So I just think a lot of ppl don't even know tickets r on sale. They will today with Football

I think some deeper dive education might be needed here for everyone on how tickets on sale actually works.  

The studio, in the case of Uncharted, is Sony.  They let theaters know they can put shows up, but they shouldn't go on sale until Sunday, Jan. 30th.  

They also let everyone know to not send out any advertising until Sunday at a certain time.  This means no posting on social that tickets are now on sale, no dedicated email to their loyalty program members, no Google ads, nothing.  

Sony does this because they have purchased ads to run during the NFL football games announcing the tickets are on sale and want to have everyone launch at the same time to maximize their advertising dollars.  

Some theaters went ahead and just opened the shows for sale because the release was on Sunday and they wouldn't be working or they just didn't care and put them on sale.  

With all of this said, the only way that any person would have known to buy a ticket for Uncharted or that it was even on sale is if they stumbled upon it by surfing their theater website or they love Uncharted so much they were looking for tickets on the theater website.  

I would put absolutely no weight in the Uncharted tracking until right now and going forward.  The last 3-4 days some theaters had them up are meaningless.  

• Like 6

Take it with a grain of salt of course since it's anecdotal, but there's this and on another forum I saw someone saying that a theateer chain CEO they work for stated the internal studio tracking for The Batman is 170 million OW.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

Take it with a grain of salt of course since it's anecdotal, but there's this and on another forum I saw someone saying that a theateer chain CEO they work for stated the internal studio tracking for The Batman is 170 million OW.

@Deep Wang I know numbers are scarce these days, but if you happen to hear what your friends are saying about expectations, let us know :) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Riley said:

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 53 87 9757 0.89%

Total Seats Sold Today: 9

Comp

0.153x of F9 T-19 (1.08M)

0.426x of The Suicide Squad T-19 (1.75M)

0.249x of Venom 2 T-19 (2.88M)

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 54 166 10233 1.62%

Total Seats Sold Today: 79

Comp

0.281x of F9 T-18 (2M)

0.779x of The Suicide Squad T-18 (3.19M)

0.413x of Venom 2 T-18 (4.79M)

And you all were all so concerned. This isn't out of the woods yet, but this really does emphasize just how important the "tickets on sale" date really is, even when a film gets a soft launch. I'll be adding in Ghostbusters tomorrow into my comps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, 21C said:

Can I just vent right now that I really hate they're putting tickets out on a Thursday? I already have to look at two other movies, even though they're total no1currs, so when I get around to tracking this on its first day, it'll take me like...three hours to compile everything up. I hate it!

• Like 1

I saw a commercial during the game today for a new Liam Neeson movie coming out on February 11. That came out of nowhere. At this point I don't think anyone can tell his action vehicles (which seem to be all he makes these days) apart anymore with the only surprise being that they're still getting wide theatrical releases (as opposed to being banished to the DTV Hell that Bruce Willis is stuck in these days).

1 hour ago, Eric Riley said:

Can I just vent right now that I really hate they're putting tickets out on a Thursday? I already have to look at two other movies, even though they're total no1currs, so when I get around to tracking this on its first day, it'll take me like...three hours to compile everything up. I hate it!

Nah, WB knew what they were doing. Feb 10 is my bday, I got a nice bday present from a major Hollywood studio 🥰

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I saw a commercial during the game today for a new Liam Neeson movie coming out on February 11. That came out of nowhere. At this point I don't think anyone can tell his action vehicles (which seem to be all he makes these days) apart anymore with the only surprise being that they're still getting wide theatrical releases (as opposed to being banished to the DTV Hell that Bruce Willis is stuck in these days).

Yeah the one you're talking about is Blacklight and that looks like garbage. Coming out February 11.

However, he has another action movie coming out on April 29 called Memory, and I'm actually curious about that one. It's directed by Martin Campbell and also has Monica Bellucci and Guy Pearce. That one actually may be worth seeing, but shit like the one you're talking about is just diluting the ones that may actually be quality (like the Collett-Serra movies)

Liam needs to chill with the likes of movies like Blacklight, The Ice Road (which was Netflix I think), and Honest Thief. Those r the true garbage ones that are hurting him I think

Edited by Pinacolada

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why is Feb 11 so randomly crowded? This Liam Neeson joint could have been this weekend. They want Valentines Day on Monday to boost it?

The boost will actually be 3 days - 11, 12, and 14, when you get Valentine's on that Monday...

And they are going into empty theaters, so all the movies will get the spacing they need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why is Feb 11 so randomly crowded? This Liam Neeson joint could have been this weekend. They want Valentines Day on Monday to boost it?

To be fair, none of those movies are gonna light up the box office regardless (Death on the Nile was made what feels like ages ago and is one of the last 20th Century cast offs, Marry Me would likely do Second Act numbers even without day-and-date, and Neeson action flicks became stale a while ago).

Just now, JonahVex said:

Whats the OW looking like for Death on the Nile

Guessing the same $10-12M range as West Side Story or worse. Expected for a long-delayed drama (whose only buzz has come from tabloid drama re: the cast and not the actual movie itself) that's likely going to earn tepid reviews and aimed at an audience that has yet to return to theaters in full force.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, none of those movies are gonna light up the box office regardless (Death on the Nile was made what feels like ages ago and is one of the last 20th Century cast offs, Marry Me would likely do Second Act numbers even without day-and-date, and Neeson action flicks became stale a while ago).

That goes without saying, though

Moonfall, counted today at 11am EST for Thursday, Feb 3:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 140 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 64 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 1 (1 showtime)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (1 showtime)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 11 (1 showtime)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
124 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 242 (4 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 584.
Jump since Saturday: 17%.

Moonfall, counted today at the same time for Friday, Feb 4:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 57 (8 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 11 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 2 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 8 (3 showtimes)
48 (6 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 57 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 185.
Up since Saturday: 34%.

I think this is my first disaster movie without Pulse so I don't have good comps at all.
E.g. Old (16.9M OW, also an original film from a well-known director and thematizising a misterious force that causes evil) had 150 sold tickets on Monday for Friday. But Old had good jumps in its last week.
Overall Idk. The numbers aren't bad for a Monday. It depends on the jumps now.

Jackass Forever (jackass forever plus bonus content), counted today at 11am EST for Thursday, Feb 3:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 24 (3 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 22 (2 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 14 (1 showtime)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 3 (1 showtime)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 18 (1 showtime)
40 (2 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 118 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 239.

Jackass Forever, counted today at the same time for Friday, Feb 4:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 50 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 58 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 40 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 14 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 56 (3 showtimes)
62 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 222 (7 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 502.

Same problem, no good comps. Maybe Free Guy (28.4M OW) fits a little bit which had on Wednesday of its release week 452 sold tickets for Friday (but I doubt that it has the same walk-ups).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2