The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

1 hour ago, AdrianL said:

If Matrix wasn't on Max there could be a case more people would check it out throughout the holiday but now it's just gonna flounder. It should've moved to January and opened MLK weekend. 

Pretty much everything but Sing 2 should have done that (with specialty expansions filling the adult Xmas release role)...but studios gotta studio when they think they can have any shot at the enormous Xmas to NY money...

Truly bizarre. In regular circumstances, WW1984 would've opened to $100m+, TSS 40m+ and Matrix would probably at least do $50m with a prime release date. Altogether they'll do less than $200m domestic lol

It is crazy to think how far box office has changed from last Christmas though, so there's that! People really shouldn't say Marvel ruined cinema as without the MCU I do think studios would really pivot to only streaming. I think things will work out with theaters though thank god, it's just gonna be a while before non-blockbusters can do business like say, Knives Out (so sad the sequels went to Netflix...)

18 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Truly bizarre. In regular circumstances, WW1984 would've opened to $100m+, TSS 40m+ and Matrix would probably at least do $50m with a prime release date. Altogether they'll do less than $200m domestic lol

It is crazy to think how far box office has changed from last Christmas though, so there's that! People really shouldn't say Marvel ruined cinema as without the MCU I do think studios would really pivot to only streaming. I think things will work out with theaters though thank god, it's just gonna be a while before non-blockbusters can do business like say, Knives Out (so sad the sequels went to Netflix...)

WW84 opening to 100mil would have had insanely horrible legs to the point i doubt it would have gotten to 100mil at all. 

10 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

WW84 opening to 100mil would have had insanely horrible legs to the point i doubt it would have gotten to 100mil at all. 

$16.7m at the worst point of the pandemic when only 40% was open. ($42m if everywhere was open).

50% capacity restrictions were in place too. ($84m).

No vaccine available. ($100m).

No NY or LA ($110m+). 

Available online same day ($150m+ in normal times).

Rough math 😂

(this is a joke before anyone gets upset. But WW84 had a lot of covid related stuff going against it. Much more than any other pandemic release actually)

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WW84 would have opened at least 150ish in normal times though. I don't know why this would be controversial. First movie was a massive WOM hit.

Normal times meaning none of this MAX release stuff and theater situation similar to right now.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

If it opened to $100m... it would've gotten to $100m lol

Legs would have been ****y though. No pandemic and the June release date I bet it would've had a multiplier below 2.5 even with summer weekdays. 

We just got out of West Side Story with my 92 Year Old Grandma. 

Grandma: That was so nice! It’s nice to see a good movie after all the stupid ones!

Me: - As we walk by the IMAX door, points to NWH poster - So you want to see Spider-Man next?

Grandma: No! No more stupid movies!

Me: But you said you wanted to see a good movie!

Grandma: No! It’s stupid. No more stupid movies. 

Me: Okay. I will tell the boys you think superhero movies are stupid. I’m sure they’ll all appreciate that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Disbelief 2

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

We just got out of West Side Story with my 92 Year Old Grandma. 

Grandma: That was so nice! It’s nice to see a good movie after all the stupid ones!

Me: - As we walk by the IMAX door, points to NWH poster - So you want to see Spider-Man next?

Grandma: No! No more stupid movies!

Me: But you said you wanted to see a good movie!

Grandma: No! It’s stupid. No more stupid movies. 

Me: Okay. I will tell the boys you think superhero movies are stupid. I’m sure they’ll all appreciate that. 

Although I liked WSS overall one of the story beats near the end is really quite stupid lol

Yeah WB really bungled this one. I know a lot of people want to jump to the mixed reviews to explain this one (probably because it confirms their priors) but WB absolutely should’ve been able to get more people excited for a new Matrix movie. Say what you will about the sequels but the original is still one of the most popular sci-fi films of all time. And this industry practically runs on soft reboots that mine cultural nostalgia. This should’ve been a slam dunk with audiences and now Matrix 4 is probably gonna make less than half of what Dune made in October. Opening just five days after Far from Home was obviously a huge mistake on WB’s part and led to it being completely overshadowed.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Pretty sure spiderman will stay flat or increase today.

Should be at about 480 million by Sunday.

Well ahead of IW with another week of holidays.

Think 700 million is very likely.

I'm thinking an $800M domestic total. 

17 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Although I liked WSS overall one of the story beats near the end is really quite stupid lol

I am gonna need like a month and 5k words to process West Side Story 2021. TL;DR the story is better in the 2021 version; the musical is better in the 1961 version. So. Idk. Like I said I need a minute. 

After 10 days on the big screen, the latest Spidey adventure has become the highest-grossing Hollywood movie of the year with $813.9 million worldwide

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/box-office-spiderman-no-way-home-christmas-box-office-1235142739/

So $27.8M DOM and $34.8M OS.

Seems heading to 1.050 billion by Sunday with another week of holidays ahead. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah WB really bungled this one. I know a lot of people want to jump to the mixed reviews to explain this one (probably because it confirms their priors) but WB absolutely should’ve been able to get more people excited for a new Matrix movie. Say what you will about the sequels but the original is still one of the most popular sci-fi films of all time. And this industry practically runs on soft reboots that mine cultural nostalgia. This should’ve been a slam dunk with audiences and now Matrix 4 is probably gonna make less than half of what Dune made in October. Opening just five days after Far from Home was obviously a huge mistake on WB’s part and led to it being completely overshadowed.

Yeah, Matrix might not have gotten far based on audience reception, but had WB moved this to either MLK weekend or Pres Day weekend in Jan-Feb and had it be a fully theatrical release I have no doubt it would have opened to $70-80 million. Where it would have gone from there is anyone's guess, but the opening would be big. The mixed-to-negative audience reception is not why it's bombing, it's bombing because it's widely available on HBO Max and because it got overshadowed hardcore by Spidey.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yeah, Matrix might not have gotten far based on audience reception, but had WB moved this to either MLK weekend or Pres Day weekend in Jan-Feb and had it be a fully theatrical release I have no doubt it would have opened to $70-80 million. Where it would have gone from there is anyone's guess, but the opening would be big. The mixed-to-negative audience reception is not why it's bombing, it's bombing because it's widely available on HBO Max and because it got overshadowed hardcore by Spidey.

Basically WB should have tricked the audience that Matrix 4 isnt shit and after that it wouldnt matter anymore because it would have made enough money.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It still could? Given how fluke-y the first movie's performance seemed to be in non-pandemic times, an opening day within close range of the previous one seems like a good sign of audience retention. Gotta wait until next week to get an idea of where it's headed.

Secret Life of Pets was lightning in a bottle which couldn't be replicated second time around but it helps Sing 2 that Sing is one of Illumination's better films.