Eric Prime

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

Par have a pretty good line up this year. The Lost City looks to be fun and perform fairly good. Then Sonic, which i think it will do good business. Then Top Gun 2 which is a question mark and their biggest risk

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Par have a pretty good line up this year. The Lost City looks to be fun and perform fairly good. Then Sonic, which i think it will do good business. Then Top Gun 2 which is a question mark and their biggest risk

They'll also be ending the year with Damien Chazelle's Babylon and have the theatrical distribution rights to Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon so they'll be looking at a comeback on the awards scene too (Arrival/Fences were their last Best Picture nominees since The Trial of the Chicago 7 was sold to Netflix). 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

To be disappointed in a 30m+ weekend of a horror movie that will ultimately more than double its budget at a time when we're at the worst in terms of cases of the pandemic... lol bye

This is a fantastic result. I think if they went the simultaneous route with Paramount plus it may have opened similar to 4 so thankfully they didn't do that!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This thread is a good example of why studios lowball their predictions so much. After people started speculating that 50m/4-day was on the table, a perfectly good opening now looks underwhelming in response

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

This thread is a good example of why studios lowball their predictions so much. After people started speculating that 50m/4-day was on the table, a perfectly good opening now looks underwhelming in response

Yeah I wasn't following this movie at all but when I saw the numbers I thought they looked fine and was surprised to see reactions here so negative

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

The lost city got alot of laughs in my during the previews so I can see it opening over 30 mil.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Don’t forget Mission Impossible, which keeps getting better.

Just now, Krissykins said:

The…. realms of irony here. 

Irony of what? 31m for Scream is a bit meh. I always though yet another Scream was pointless since it has the exact same premise as 4 which tanked. No real novelty here but I bought into the presales. It's basically a who cares because it'll be forgotten by like Feb. Not only was it one of the best reviewed films but Licorice Pizza is one of the only successful adult releases of the last year and continues to chug along every weekend with a consistently high theater average. 

Not everything is about IPs and requels. It's good to root for original films

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Irony of what? 31m for Scream is a bit meh. I always though yet another Scream was pointless since it has the exact same premise as 4 which tanked. No real novelty here but I bought into the presales. It's basically a who cares because it'll be forgotten by like Feb. Not only was it one of the best reviewed films but Licorice Pizza is one of the only successful adult releases of the last year and continues to chug along every weekend with a consistently high theater average. 

Not everything is about IPs and requels. It's good to root for original films

I didn’t say it was. I’m actually not all about IP’s and love original projects. 

Just you decided to shit on Scream’s $30m+ opening by saying “who cares” and then immediately turning to compliment a film that only $8m worth of people have cared about over the last 2 months. 

The “who cares?” makes it ironic. That’s the irony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

I don't think dismiss an 36M holiday opening for a Rated R movie releasing right in the middle of an extremely fast spread covid wave is really a matter of opinion, especially when the last entry opened with only 18M in way better circunstances.

I really worry about the industry relying so much on IP's but numbers are numbers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t say it was. I’m actually not all about IP’s and love original projects. 

Just you decided to shit on Scream’s $30m+ opening by saying “who cares” and then immediately turning to compliment a film that only $8m worth of people have cared about over the last 2 months. 

The “who cares?” makes it ironic. That’s the irony. 

Do you... realize the context....?

One is a horror sequel in over 3000 theaters in a marketplace where horrors are one of the most flops hits. The other is an original adult drama in under 800 theaters in a marketplace where dramas are one of the most consistent flops.... "Only" 8m worth of people has already made it one of the higher grossing films of its kind this year which is an accomplishment... You do realize it's never had a full expansion in two months yet it's already gotten this much interest...right?

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash