filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Oscar voters are voting anonymously, and now that they are a giant amount all around the world I am not so sure how much it plays, the Oscar voter nominated no black actor the very year of the #oscarsowhite movement after all.

Being a movie virtually everyone saw, like Dune or Don't Look Up give a very big edge (it always do but usually the list of movie a lot of people saw is much larger).

if the complicated voting system did not change it is the first time that 10 movies got in, which seem to indicate that the vote was all over the place, making the movie that was seen having an extra edge to shift in.

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I though the Oscars became a joke when they decided to increase the number of nominated films to 10.

I feel they got worst when they decided to stop nominated 10 movies and shifted the system again.

They had the we nominated 10 movies only 2 season (2009-2010), that system made Up, District 9, Toy Story 3 Winter Bone and other movies that would have never get in shine, could just be that those years were a relative good time for movies adults enjoy.

Edited by Barnack

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I though the Oscars became a joke when they decided to increase the number of nominated films to 10.

Nah .. it was the moment when they tried  to introduce the most popular film category ..

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THIS.

"Don't Look Up" was a crap movie, but it got a BP noimnatin becuase Oscar voters want to show they are concerend with GLobal Warming.

If you are betting on the Oscars, though, The Power of the Dog is the one to put your money on.

Who would have think a Kiwi Western would be the heavy favorite for BP.

No offense, but why did you quote your own post? It seems really weird to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The studio tried to say the kid was the only lead in Belfast, but did all the voters buy it? Dench and Hinds are pretty obviously Supporting (and in roles that are total Oscar catnip), but I'm guessing some voters saw Balfe especially as a lead. She probably got votes in both categories, but not enough to put her over the top in either. Often, when there have been two Supporting Actress nominations from the same movie, there's yet another actress being pushed as a lead: The Favourite, The Help, Doubt, Chicago. And it's one thing in an awards campaign where the movie is a 10-piece ensemble or the sole lead is a George Clooney, to say "everyone else is supporting," but when it's an unknown child actor as the lead, maybe that doesn't work as easily.

Probably. It seemed like they thought putting the kid in Lead would really increase their chances of securing the nominations for the adults in Supporting, but I'm guessing a good portion of voters for Balfe - and Dornan, for that matter - voted for them in Lead anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AJG said:

She just got two Razzie noms yesterday as consolation. She needs to get out of this garbage movie phase she's currently stuck in, or at least collaborate with McKay again for his next screed against humanity since at least it would automatically score a ton of nominations.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If Drive My Car wins, are people going to be mad like they were when Parasite won?

Who the heck was mad about Parasite winning (besides Trump being the racist, petty excuse for a human that he is)? Easily one of the more deserving Best Picture wins of the past 30 years or so.

1 hour ago, Eric Poirot said:

Is "being in a best picture nominee" a thing. Ronan has 4 nominations herself at least compared to 1 for that other guy.

Jesse Plemons has a better claim than Tim. He's been in a Best Picture nominee every year since 2015 (minus 2016 when he wasn't in any movie) and has a nomination himself this year, and is married to Kirsten Dunst. His streak is

2015 - Bridge of Spies

2017 - The Post

2018 - Vice (and Game Night which should have been nominated)

2019 - Irishman

2020 - Judas and the Black Messiah

2021 - Power of the Dog

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Her fall from being an awards darling has been amazing. 

She is getting desperate for one based on her interviews and role choices. Her not being nominated for Arrival is still a crazy snub though.

To be fair, she's hardly the only acclaimed actress who has ever gone through a Bad Movie Phase of their career. Careers with short-lived dull periods like the one Meryl has enjoyed clearly don't grow on trees.

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

btw:

1. Drive My Car

2. The Power of the Dog

3. Nightmare Alley

4. West Side Story

5. Licorice Pizza

6. Dune

7. King Richard

8. CODA

9. Don't Look Up

10. Belfast

1. Dune

2. CODA

3. West Side Story

4. The Power of the Dog

5. Belfast

6. King Richard

7. Don't Look Up

Have not seen: Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley, Drive My Car 

(plan on seeing LP and DMC, but I am doubtful I will watch Nightmare Alley)

There was a point where Amy Adams was THE actress every cool auteur wanted to work with but I think it’s over. Chalk it up to sexist ageism but her moment passed. The best she can probably hope for is to pull a Julianne Moore and randomly win for a movie that doesn’t exist whilst in the middle of a flop streak. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

There was a point where Amy Adams was THE actress every cool auteur wanted to work with but I think it’s over. Chalk it up to sexist ageism but her moment passed. The best she can probably hope for is to pull a Julianne Moore and randomly win for a movie that doesn’t exist whilst in the middle of a flop streak.