filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Now that we have discussed Will Smith a lot... WTF was with the people dancing during the very upbeat In Memoriam????

Was I the only one that appreciated the approach they took to the In Memoriam?

When my Dad passed away, we held a celebration of life, rather than a funeral - which to an outsider may have looked and felt strange, but for me was really meaningful and special.

In the same vein, I appreciate that they approached it as a celebration of all that they contributed to their craft, as opposed to a few minutes of silence while pictures flashed on the screen.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People really don’t understand the First Amendment.

nothing-goes-over-my-head-my-reflexes-ar

PS: American tend to have a someone good grasp on the first amendment what many are terrible at is free speech, many American think they are almost the same (like if something is not protected by the American state in the last 50 year's of jurist prudence it cannot be considered like a cost that speech has (i.e. an absence of it being free of consequence), something they would never do for something like The right to the pursuit of happiness.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Told you all the Academy would never give Netflix the big award. CODA was a feel-good movie released right after one of the most devastating events in human history. It was destined for the top from the get go, but we were all too blind to see it. It's also the first streaming movie to win Best Picture, but it was merely acquired and not made by Apple, so the voters were more lenient on it.

Netflix should really start experimenting with proper wide theatrical windows for their future prestige releases. Maybe even an alternate brand name like Touchstone for Disney.

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Standin' up for the wife ain't no #ToxicMasculinity

#Respect #King

7 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

No, I was really turned on.

Will Smith always been fine.

I need a man to defend me like this. ❤️

Indeed... Where has this notion gone in our culture?  That, I might add, when properly dramatized in quite a few good scenes in movies over the years, can send a message about honor, respect, defending your loved ones?  It felt like the Rock joke on Jada was *not* scripted, either, and then he immediately realized it was a bit too much in the moment.  Smith probably was going to play along, as he laughed at first (on camera), then (I'm speculating, because it was not on camera) probably glanced at his wife, who was obviously not cool with it (this *was* on camera), and said "Enough is enough."  Still an extraordinary moment.  

...But he could have said he loved her in his speech! 😉  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can understand sarcasm fine. It’s just difficult sometimes when you don’t have much context. 

By the way, most of your posts are difficult to read. 

That was not enough of a clue: and it was being televised across state lines, so it's probably RICO

I would imagine all my post are terrible to read if they are long enough.