filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

For a slap?  No, not really.  I mean technically, whatever.  But this calls for a Serious Talking To at some point, not Being Hauled Off To Jail.  "Punishment fit the crime" and all that.

Yes, it's assault.  You can get arrested for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

seconded.

This is biggest awards moment since Kanye stole Taylors mic. 

You're short selling this.  IMO this is the biggest awards moment since this:

gettyimages-515575596-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Which just shows how much it absolutely was Not Staged.  Seems to me The Academy, including audience members, had No Idea What To Do and just went on autopilot.  

• Like 1

So, who is going to be the next actress from The Help to win an Oscar since its release following Spencer (for that movie), Stone, Davis, Janney, and now Chastain? Now that she's a nominee, let's make Academy Award Winner Aunjanue Ellis a reality!

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nah, there will be apologies and the promise of no more digs at Jada by the end of tomorrow and it'll all be good. The slap is gonna be a constantly used gif going forward though lol.

Lol i don't know man, this is the kind of shit that social media lives for

25 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

FO535svXoAUPyj8?format=jpg&name=small

so good lol

1 minute ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

By the way fuck off Amy Schumer with this "witty" banter

Agreed. If she wants to actually say something about the Ukraine and trans rights, perhaps actually say something about the Ukraine and trans rights instead of using both of them as a punchline about Hollywood's disconnect from social issues?

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yes, it's assault.  You can get arrested for that.

Yes, which is why I said "technically, whatever".

But, how many folks get arrested for throwing punches in sport games?

How many folks get arrested for a slap thrown at a bar?  Or in a supermarket?

If we arrested ever Dick and Jane who slapped someone, our jails would be even more overcrowded than they already are.

I mean, c'mon now.

• Like 11
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If will smith came on stage and said ,”my wife still the most beautiful lady in the world” , then the situation will be handled beautifully. But he choose the worst way to  defend his wife

And this is not the first time Smith has behaved like a first class Alpha Hotel.

I agree that assualt charges against Smith are silly, but still made a total jerk of himself.

Bad thing is this is exactly the kind of thing that gives Hollywood a bad reputation for self centered behavior and thinking the common rules of decent behavior don't apply to them.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

If we arrested ever Dick and Jane who slapped someone, our jails would be even more overcrowded than they already are.

I mean, c'mon now.

"So I can have a women arrested for slapping me?" - incels

Wow! This is crazy.

Of course we can’t forget the mockery The Oscars made of themselves when the Best Picture award incorrectly went to La La Land…

but The Oscars supposedly prides itself with serious prestige and a high reputation.

They allowed themselves to be turned into an MTV Music Awards production, which I’m not sure how that will sit with the Academy?

I guess they were really desperate for ratings, but to exchange ‘good TV’ and ratings over integrity is a hard pill to swallow. 

Was it staged? Was it real? Would Will Smith with his massive ego really let an inappropriate and tasteless joke about his wife jeopardize the highest night of his decades long career? It completely takes the focus off of his accomplishment and turns him into a loose cannon TV side-show. 

Is something like this unprecedented? I don’t understand how Chris Rock would just stand there and continue to speak afterwards? I don’t understand how Will Smith would be allowed to stay?

Bonkers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I mean, c'mon now.

Doing it on live TV in front of millions around the world is a little more egregious imo than a bar fight.  It's just another example of the rich and shameless being able to do things we normal folks can't.  It's just a really bad look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1