filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

The difference between a child and an adult is that we expect an adult to be able to exhibit self control and to be responsible for all their actions.  Thus, why we have two levels of criminal justice - juvenile and adult - and thus why most time juvenile records get sealed when you become an adult.  The expectation is that the "hot headedness" and "lack of impulse control" has been overcome through maturity.

Will Smith's action, whatever you think of the "justification," was 100% wrong. There is no justification ever for taking a word said and elevating it to violence.  We have freedom of speech b/c you can hear a word and respond to it with another.

If Will had just sat in his seat and told Rock to "shut his..." like he did after wandering back to his seat after the punch, there would be no controversy, except possibly a discussion about tasteless jokes (which Schumer had against Leo's ladies early in the ceremony - no fight there).  Instead, you have this...and now everyone everywhere, to include impressionable teens, has yet another example that if "you don't like what someone says, punch them in the mouth - that's okay"...and it won't be okay for them, b/c they won't get off scot-free from their actions like Will did last night.

Whomever made the decisions to let Will stay, let him get his award, and let him give his speech should be fired and should never work an Oscar ceremony again.  Whomever were the security guards responsible for the stage should also be fired to never work an event again.

Will Smith should be banned from the Oscars and all Academy consideration forever.  That's probably the least that makes up for what he did to the entire ceremony and the winners last night.  

I'd do more, but this is basic minimum stuff.  You can't allow what happened last night to happen...and you da&n sure can't allow it to ever happen again.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

So… understanding on why a celebrity especially a comedian, who makes more money than anyone here will ever make in a lifetime slapped another comedian/celebrity and empathizing with it is equivalent to advocating “Hey, let’s beat all comedians” and comedians are the most prosecuted people on the planet.

Some people may say comedy is dead now but looking at some peoples’ posts, I’d say it’s thriving.

issue is some people here have said lets beat up all comedians though 😅

Moderation

Probably should have done this sooner, but things are getting super heated right now and I think it's fair to take a minute and breathe, because the tensions and fighting is getting too strong here. I'll reopen this thread a little later, probably when we get viewership numbers. Anybody who continues this conversation elsewhere will see warning points.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

They clearly condoned it by letting him stay and then letting him do a speech.  How long til some one tries to copy Smith when they don’t like what a entertainer said?

imagine a poor man beating a rich celebrity on the stage: a night in the jail to start with

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

So should all comedians across America start to get slapped for telling dumb jokes?

cause even the most well respected comedians have told dumb jokes before. 

Brings a whole new meaning to slapstick humour

Edited by Tarintino

Anyone who defends Will Smith's behavior is truly out of their minds.

Should Will Smith defend his wife and the close females in his life? Absolutely. But this was not something she needed defending...he fucking laughed which means he must have known that it was not so bad. And maybe defend a woman who does not constantly belittle and emasculate you.

Even aside from all that...a GI Jane joke caused him to ASSAULT someone. You are rich celebrities in the fucking Oscar with a comedian hosting that makes jabs...if you are afraid of getting called out, then simply do not go. Or say something back verbally.

But this was flat out unhinged. Do not know if it was the pressure from being a scientologist (major red flag right there), having an open marriage or possibly living in the closet...your life is your life but at the end of the day, YOUR issues should never manifest into violence on somebody else.

Bullshit. Male virtue my ass when he has not been virtuous at all. 

If Rock was a woman, and had gotten slapped not just by Smith but even by another woman, the Oscar would have been recalled. I am firmly with banning him outright from all future Oscar events and to have him publicly apologize before getting any roles.

A standing ovation for a man who assaulted another over a fucking GI Jane joke? Are you for fucking real? Ricky Gervais is gonna have a FIELD day with him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

They do get kicked out, charged, and as a result of an agreement for charges getting dropped, barred from ever returning again.  I mean, Philly had a jail in their stadium just for this...

And this is with people who have no money so can't pay civil and criminal penalties...this should be 5 digits to the county authorities and 6 digits to the victim...

I was referring to players, not folks in the stands. :)

But even then, I think one solitary slap isn't the huge deal, criminally speaking, that some folks seem to think it is.

EDIT AFTER SEEING ERIC'S POST:

Anyway, just clarifying what I was referring to, nothing more. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Anyone who defends Will Smith's behavior is truly out of their minds.

Should Will Smith defend his wife and the close females in his life? Absolutely. But this was not something she needed defending...he fucking laughed which means he must have known that it was not so bad. And maybe defend a woman who does not constantly belittle and emasculate you.

Even aside from all that...a GI Jane joke caused him to ASSAULT someone. You are rich celebrities in the fucking Oscar with a comedian hosting that makes jabs...if you are afraid of getting called out, then simply do not go. Or say something back verbally.

But this was flat out unhinged. Do not know if it was the pressure from being a scientologist (major red flag right there), having an open marriage or possibly living in the closet...your life is your life but at the end of the day, YOUR issues should never manifest into violence on somebody else.

Bullshit. Male virtue my ass when he has not been virtuous at all. 

If Rock was a woman, and had gotten slapped not just by Smith but even by another woman, the Oscar would have been recalled. I am firmly with banning him outright from all future Oscar events and to have him publicly apologize before getting any roles.

A standing ovation for a man who assaulted another over a fucking GI Jane joke? Are you for fucking real? Ricky Gervais is gonna have a FIELD day with him.

Nah. 

DeficientMasculineCurassow-size_restrict 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I was referring to players, not folks in the stands. :)

But even then, I think one solitary slap isn't the huge deal, criminally speaking, that some folks seem to think it is.

You would've thought Will Smith killed someone the way some people here are talking.

Looks like the matter is resolved to me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I wonder if it is Chris rock’s idea to joke about someone’a illness or someone in his team recommend this.

1) We don't know if Rock had a clue about her illness.  Not everyone keeps up with the current Hollywood gossip.

2) He didn't joke about her illness.  He didn't insult her. He compared her to Demi Moore from a movie that was about a woman overcoming misogyny in a man dominated job

3) Regina Hall made fun of Jada fucking WIll's daughter's 18 year old friend.  Where was the slaps from that offensive joke?

4) The idea that a man has to publicly attack another man publicly to defend his mates 'honor' is so against everything the Hollywood enlightened elite claim to be about these days.

• Like 1