Eric Loves Rey

Super Bowl/Valentine's Weekend Thread | Nile 1.1M Previews, Marry Me 525K

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This really makes me sad for movie theaters tbh. Marry Me is another 5M opener and Death on the Nile will open with 1/3 of Murder on the Orient Express.

Makes sense. Death on the Nile is about 1/3rd as famous a story as Orient Express

• Like 4

Yeah I feel like even in the absolute best of circumstances where everything went right, Death on the Nile would only do about half of Orient Express. Everything from the source material to the cast was nowhere near as iconic or exciting as its predecessor and the last film had pretty tepid reception anyways. The hook was nonexistent.

• Like 2

That seems acceptable enough for Death on the Nile all things considered, at the very least it's gonna end up among the three biggest openings for a drama in the pandemic era (aside from House of Gucci and West Side Story). Eh for Marry Me but it seemed obvious after they decided to make it a day-and-date title they weren't expecting a whole lot from it. Gonna be a rather subdued Super Bowl weekend overall, unsurprisingly. 

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With the Superbowl killing Sunday evening?

I think so, yes. MOTOE did almost 18x previews, so even with the SB decline this one should do 12x

As for Marry Me, it would probably do 15-17x without the SB. Peacock is probably a bigger hindrance here.

Not terrible for Nile - as stated before, it was bound to drop big anyway (Gadot is only person in cast with any power) even before the second biggest name in it, who isn't even a star, ended up being a cannibal.

Man, I miss a nice 22m OW for a rom-com over VDay. Bring back the days of Dear John etc.

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier this week in the tracking thread that the biggest thing Nile always had working against it was that adult-driven mystery adaptations just don't enjoy a positive history when it comes to being a franchise. Just ask Robert Langdon (totals that fell from $217M to $133M to $34M) and U.S. Lisbeth Salander (collapsing all the way from $102M to $14M). Given that this book was always much less popular than Orient Express and the cast being much lower-profile overall (and seemingly cursed), it seems likely that Hercules Poirot would've joined them and underwhelmed even in its original October 2020 spot when it's obvious the audience for these movies aren't faithful to them as brands (in part because the target audience in this case has always been much more selective in how they decide to part with their cash).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2