Eric Loves Rey

Super Bowl/Valentine's Weekend Thread | Nile 1.1M Previews, Marry Me 525K

12 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Drive My Car passed 1m. A 3 hour Japanese drama with limited release hitting the benchmark is a great achievement. All due to the Oscar and awards buzz.

This may very beat the great beauty, an Italian language film and become the highest grossing film of all time for Janus film distributor 

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
- N Marry Me Universal $3,000,000     3,642 $824 $3,000,000 1
- (1) jackass forever Paramount Pi… $2,875,000 +121% -70% 3,653 $787 $32,244,702 8
- (4) Scream Paramount Pi… $810,000 +153% -33% 2,619 $309 $71,151,632 29
- (5) Sing 2 Universal $650,000 +252% -20% 2,831 $230 $141,088,555 52
- (7) Redeeming Love Universal $110,000 +36% -59% 980 $112 $8,577,070 22
- (-) Belfast Focus Features $81,000 +146% +86% 928 $87 $7,700,145 92
- (-) Drive My Car Janus Films $50,457     127 $397 $1,083,080 80
- (-) The 355 Universal $31,000 -3% -82% 563 $55 $14,427,585 36

8   $7,607,457    
  • Like 3

https://deadline.com/2022/02/box-office-death-on-the-nile-marry-me-gal-gadot-jennifer-lopez-2-1234932317/

Saturday AM Update: Refresh for more analysis and chart Two major studios this weekend took a bold swing and decided to go after the challenged older female demo over Valentine’s Day weekend in a continued pandemic, and while the results were in line with projections, they wouldn’t be anything to brag about in a pre-pandemic marketplace. It’s also the hardest weekend for moviegoing with Super Bowl on Sunday.

Disney’s Covid-delayed release of Kenneth Branagh’s $90M adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile starring Gal Gadot is seeing a $5.1M Friday and an estimated $12.7M opening, while Universal’s $23M Jennifer Lopez-Owen Wilson romantic comedy Marry Me, which is also available on the studio’s sister streaming service Peacock on the premium tier, is landing in 3rd with $3M on Friday and a $8M opening at 3,642. Again, both are hoping for more love from the Valentine’s Day box office, but I believe we won’t know if older women are truly ready to come out to the movies again until it happens. It will take some sort of Sex and the City or Bridesmaids phenomenon to put us back there, I don’t think we’ll be able to see it coming, It will take sheer gut and will on behalf of a major studio. Many content creators continue to worry if the same types of movies they use to make are ripe for theatrical in a truly have-and-have not marketplace, or if such genres have completely been absorbed by streaming — a place where movies live forever.

Death on the Nile gets a B CinemaScore, the same grade as Murder on the Orient Express. Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak audience exits show 77% positive, 57% definite recommend with 51% females and an overall audiences that 78% over 25, 47% over 35 and 28% over 45. Diversity demos were 56% Caucasian, 16% Hispanic and Latino, 11% Black, and 17% Asian and other. Imax, PLFs and some 70MM drove 35% of the business. Death on the Nile played best in the West and Southeast with all top 10 runs coming out of those sectors (Eight of the top ten being Imax).

With Peacock paid subscribers so low at 9M, it remains to be seen whether the service is truly siphoning moviegoers from Marry MeI’ve heard anecdotally that subscriptions have spiked greatly from the Olympics being on a paid tier, and Marry Me is in a position to possibly be watched then. CinemaScore moviegoers didn’t turn their backs on it with a B+. PostTrak exits are similar to Death on the Nile at 78% positive, 63% recommend. Female draw here is at 69%, 79% over 25, 48% over 35, 26% over 45. Diversity demos were 44% Caucasian, 35% Latino and Hispanic, 10% Black and 11% Asian/other. The West and the Southwest had the majority of play with nine of the top ten theaters.

• Like 1

Disney’s Covid-delayed release of Kenneth Branagh’s $90M adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile starring Gal Gadot is seeing a $5.1M Friday and an estimated $12.7M opening, while Universal’s $23M Jennifer Lopez-Owen Wilson romantic comedy Marry Me, which is also available on the studio’s sister streaming service Peacock on the premium tier, is landing in 3rd with $3M on Friday and a $8M opening at 3,642. Again, both are hoping for more love from the Valentine’s Day box office, but I believe we won’t know if older women are truly ready to come out to the movies again until it happens. It will take some sort of Sex and the City or Bridesmaids phenomenon to put us back there, I don’t think we’ll be able to see it coming, It will take sheer gut and will on behalf of a major studio. Many content creators continue to worry if the same types of movies they use to make are ripe for theatrical in a truly have-and-have not marketplace, or if such genres have completely been absorbed by streaming — a place where movies live forever.

Box Office: ‘Death On The Nile’ With Gal Gadot Opens To $12.5M – Deadline

More from Deadline

Briarcliff Entertainment’s Liam Neeson action movie Blacklight saw $1.2M on Friday, $3.3M opening at 2,772 locations. Critics have had enough of the actor with a gun at 6%, while PostTrak were dismal at 58% and a 39% recommend. Guys at 64% attended with 83% over 25, 58% over 35, and 35% over 45. Diversity demos were 53% Caucasian, 14% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Black, and 18% Asian/other. Best markets were in the Midwest and the South with four of the top ten runs coming out of those areas.

And Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home is destined to pass up Avatar‘s $760.5M in the next week, becoming the third highest grossing movie ever at the domestic box office with just $1.7M left to go. The movie, in its 9th weekend, will raise its stateside tally to $758.8M after what is expected to be a $7M 3-day. We’ve said there’s no middle meat to the pandemic box office, but Spider-Man is truly it.

• Like 1