Eric Lasagna

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

36 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Interestingly it felt like the fan base was not particularly excited because the casting was…off. But maybe it still got enough people on the fence to go. 

Yeah, but when there's nothing else to watch, not that hard to get fans to come watch this.

Uncharted is already starting to add some shows for tonight at a couple of theaters around me (since a number of evening/prime time shows are starting to fill up). Think it can hit almost mid-teens opening day at this rate if it's like this in other places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

we live in a world where a big blockbuster movie based on a popular IP possibly opening up to 40m in 4 days is considering a big success

How many videogame adaptations managed to debut this high even prepandemic? One? Two?  There's definitely reason to celebrate if it goes over 40M. I can only think of those awesome Tomb Raider numbers from 2001. Over 20 years ago and got that 40M on weekend one right? And that was a regular 3 weekend I think

Edited by TiagoRodrigues
  • Like 2

Just now, TiagoRodrigues said:

How many videogame adaptations managed to debut this high even prepandemic? One? Two? I can only think of those awesome Tomb Raider numbers from 2001. Over 20 years ago and got that 40M on weekend one right?

Sonic 

Detecive Pikachu

Rampage

Prince of Persia did 30m in 3 day OW

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Sonic and Pokemon are just much more well known than Uncharted (and Pokemon has a lot of material outside video games). So those aren't the best comparisons.

Sonic more popular than Uncharted today? I'm pretty sure Uncharted 4 sold more than the last 10 sonic games combined.

7 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Sonic 

Detecive Pikachu

Rampage

Prince of Persia did 30m in 3 day OW

Sonic and Pikachu are long running multi-media franchises mainly aimed a kids. Yeah they are both "video game movies" but they couldn't be more removed from the type of audience Uncharted goes for. Rampage was sold as a Dwayne Johnson spectacle, I doubt half the people that saw it ever played the games. Prince of Persia is a solid comp though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sonic more popular than Uncharted today? I'm pretty sure Uncharted 4 sold more than the last 10 sonic games combined.

I feel like Sonic is still more well known just on history. It's not just about those who buy the games but general brand awareness. But I don't really have any way to quantify that.

7 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

And if it's doing $30m+ based more on Tom Holland as opposed to the brand... then that's good. 

is it doing any more than it would have with another actor? I mean for all we know existing fans rushed to watch this and the legs fall off a cliff if they don't like it. We should probably wait to see how it holds before celebrating success especially at this budget

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I feel like Sonic is still more well known just on history. It's not just about those who buy the games but general brand awareness. But I don't really have any way to quantify that.

I guess you're right, but I feel like Uncharted is more popular in the sense that there is a larger active fanbase right now. I think a Uncharted movie that looked good and had the fanbase excited would've easily beaten Sonic's opening numbers. 

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It depends. On commercial value yeah, Uncharted games sell far more than Sonic games, but Sonic is an IP that survived 3 decades already and branched far beyond the games. If you get someone who doesn't play videogames, they are more likely to know what Sonic is than Uncharted.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I guess you're right, but I feel like Uncharted is more popular in the sense that there is a larger active fanbase right now. I think a Uncharted movie that looked good and had the fanbase excited would've easily beaten Sonic's opening numbers. 

Sonic is an easier sell to people who aren't fans of either, especially families. 

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Sonic is an easier sell to people who aren't fans of either, especially families. 

Once you get the fanbase excited, the GA (specifically the 18-35 demo, who pay the most for movies) will come along too. It's why The Last of Us show will obliterate any of the recent video game adaptations in terms of viewership and discussion. The game has a huge active fanbase and the show will likely be amazing too. A LOT of people will be watching that.

Uncharted games are great and I love them and they sell terrific. But if you asked my mom or older brothers or coworkers if they've heard of the Uncharted games, of course they haven't. Everybody in the world has heard of Sonic at this point. Sure, Uncharted is absolutely bigger within the gaming community right now, but no doubt Sonic is a much larger international brand (not to mention Pokemon, one of the biggest moneymakers of the past 30 years). 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

is it doing any more than it would have with another actor? I mean for all we know existing fans rushed to watch this and the legs fall off a cliff if they don't like it. We should probably wait to see how it holds before celebrating success especially at this budget

Aren’t fans of the games the loudest ones who are shitting on this movie? I don’t see them rushing it to see this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sonic as a brand is more known even if with current videogame games Uncharted is more successful

Edited by Fox20