Eric Prime

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

Having just seen Uncharted (in 4DX no less, very cool), I definitely understand the RT user score. 

It's a general audience crowd pleaser, through and through, a la National Treasure. 

I enjoyed it. 

The script could have been better and Tom/Mark don't really hit their buddy stride until the final third act. But man, if they tighten that up in the sequel (which this one sets up quite well), I see a successful string of films ahead. Good for Mark, he has been down and out the last couple of years. Tom was going to be fine either way, but nice to see him have another big hit. 

And of course, good for the box office too. 

I wouldn't be surprised with 150 million domestic here with such a bland March, and should make a killing overseas with China actual getting a release. 

• Like 7

I've been sick today so I've only been able to track a handful of theatres, but Uncharted seemed to hold a lot better today than most theaters forecasted. Even with the biggest drop that I've tracked, Monday was 66% of Sunday, which if that pans out, would be 1M higher than was given in the Monday estimates. 

Now, it is just anecdotal data, and the holiday could skew much more heavily in Canada for moviegoing than in the US (?), but it is encouraging at the very least. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've been sick today so I've only been able to track a handful of theatres, but Uncharted seemed to hold a lot better today than most theaters forecasted. Even with the biggest drop that I've tracked, Monday was 66% of Sunday, which if that pans out, would be 1M higher than was given in the Monday estimates. 

Now, it is just anecdotal data, and the holiday could skew much more heavily in Canada for moviegoing than in the US (?), but it is encouraging at the very least. 

Sony went very pessimistic with both Holland movies. Have been expecting both to beat by at least 20%, probably more like 25%.

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

There was a surprisingly high number of families at my showing on Saturday night. Wouldn't be out of nowhere if that's playing a part in it IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Will batman fully kill  of Spiderman or can it keep going till  End of March?> 

No expansion:  

~15-20M March gross after Batman opens, top 6 of month

expansion: 

30-40M March gross after Batman opens, top 3 of month

10 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Will batman fully kill  of Spiderman or can it keep going till  End of March?> 

NWH should still have top 3 PTA among wide releases by the time Batman opens. So I don't think it'll take a brutal hit to its theater counts. Especially if Sony expands it the following weekend, it should remain in top 10 mid-april or till MoM opens. 

• Like 1

In an hour, I'm going to my 1st 2022 movie - thanks TMobile, Atom, and Cinemark for the $2 XD Uncharted tickets.  I think it will be worth my money in (taking my 3 youngest, and letting dad and the oldest do a BOGO later, since they have til Feb 28 to use the BOGO)... 

• Like 1