Eric S'ennui

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

Every perspective is valid, but I do find it difficult to understand the notion that The Batman’s dark and serious tone is problematic and “not what we need right now”, etc. This doesn’t resonate with me when the vast majority of comic book films released in this era are on the opposite end of this spectrum. Why are we not allowed to have one darker, more serious film? Generally speaking, I find these kind of films can prove cathartic in a similar way that lighter, more “escapist” fare can be a relief during troubled times. I like having options and variety.

I say all this not having seen The Batman - just a general observation.

As usual, I hope the film does gangbusters so that the box office nerd in me gets to enjoy the film’s run. How lucky that we’ve had No Way Home (and to a lesser extent Uncharted) to sustain us over the last few months.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

There was a real gender split with reactions from people I went with. Men loved it, women were a lot more meh. Lot of complaining about how dark (visually) it was.  

I thought it was good but I don't know if I really feel like watching it again. Felt the script could've been a lot tighter. There was a good 30 min in there that wasn't necessary.

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Every perspective is valid, but I do find it difficult to understand the notion that The Batman’s dark and serious tone is problematic and “not what we need right now”, etc. This doesn’t resonate with me when the vast majority of comic book films released in this era are on the opposite end of this spectrum. Why are we not allowed to have one darker, more serious film? Generally speaking, I find these kind of films can prove cathartic in a similar way that lighter, more “escapist” fare can be a relief during troubled times. I like having options and variety.

As usual, I hope the film does gangbusters so that the box office nerd in me gets to enjoy the film’s run. How lucky that we’ve had No Way Home (and to a lesser extent Uncharted) to sustain us over the last few months.

Peace,

Mike

It is so funny because The Batman is literally about hope and what we need right now lol

I also agree that the variety in superhero movies should grow.. and why shouldn't it? There's millions of different tones for stories that have been around for 100 years. The more we can get a Joker, a Batman like this, Deadpool, and even Guardians and I assume Black Adam, the better, no? Otherwise it is just a monopoly. These movies and genre literally are supposed to reflect constantly shifting politics and moods

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

not speaking for the so-called RT critics, but for me personally, it's not the dark and gritty that’s problematic; the overall theme is actually quite positive, though it’s debatable that Bats is that type of hero by the end of the movie. The problem for the GA, I think, is that the movie is in essence of a genre that’s rarely if ever with a runtime of 3 hours and achieve popular superhero movie BO numbers.

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

how does 100-130 mean only 100? does 130 there mean nothing? or just do the average at least. 

I wanted to ignore that comment in Tracking thread but....

UPDATED PROFILE:

JjwBJC1.png

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

33 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

While I don't see this coming in at $100M (I am personally thinking $130m); there's plenty of data out there that it COULD come in under $120M and I don't think anyone should be shocked or surprised if it does. 

Keep in mind, this film is not only running with 3PM Thursday previews (ala NWH which did a 5.2x previews-to-weekend IM) BUT it also had an additional ~500 PLF shows between Tuesday and Wednesday that will drop that IM even further. I could definitely see an IM of 5.0-5.5 or so. If we extrapolate that full previews is $22M for instance, then a 5.0-5.5 previews IM would be $110-121M.....

I understand IM . What is Friday like based on your tabulations . I saw your post on the tracking thread having 35-39m . I know it's subject to change but supposing the lower range and sat being flat and sun dropping around 35 would still get it to 115m.

Even with 19-20m previews using the same Friday lower range would still be far from 100m or sub 100. Something tells me sat won't be flat and sun drop will be less than 35%

All I'm saying we need is the Friday number. 

42 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

While I don't see this coming in at $100M (I am personally thinking $130m); there's plenty of data out there that it COULD come in under $120M and I don't think anyone should be shocked or surprised if it does. 

Keep in mind, this film is not only running with 3PM Thursday previews (ala NWH which did a 5.2x previews-to-weekend IM) BUT it also had an additional ~500 PLF shows between Tuesday and Wednesday that will drop that IM even further. I could definitely see an IM of 5.0-5.5 or so. If we extrapolate that full previews is $22M for instance, then a 5.0-5.5 previews IM would be $110-121M.....

NWH's Thursday previews were after colleges were out for the semester...that's not the case for Batman, so I would not expect an IM that low, either...it may not seems like a big deal. but with theaters relying so heavily on the 18-25s, having them in class vs out of class for the year might be a big deal for an IM...

2 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

We need the EmpireCity signal lit

Even if he would, Comscore doesn't track previews in real time, IIRC.   Or whatever it is that the Asgardians have access to doesn't apply to previews.  Usually have to rely on the ever-reliable "sources" from Deadline and the like.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I understand IM . What is Friday like based on your tabulations . I saw your post on the tracking thread having 35-39m . I know it's subject to change but supposing the lower range and sat being flat and sun dropping around 35 would still get it to 115m.

Even with 19-20m previews using the same Friday lower range would still be far from 100m or sub 100. Something tells me sat won't be flat and sun drop will be less than 35%

All I'm saying we need is the Friday number. 

My expectation is (roughly) 23-37-41-29. Obviously there's some ebb-n-flow with these extrapolations.

The main issue with my new Friday tracking is just that. It's new. So I have no comps yet lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

No spoilers but the talks of inaccessibility are so overblown lol. It's not like Joker, it's not even disturbing or insanely darker than Dark Knight or TDKR? Yes there's a lot of plot but the action payoffs every 20-30 minutes are great beats. Strong ending. 

If general audiences can't handle this, then we're doomed and attention spans are unrecoverable.

Not loving something isn’t the same as not being able to “handle” it.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

NWH's Thursday previews were after colleges were out for the semester...that's not the case for Batman, so I would not expect an IM that low, either...it may not seems like a big deal. but with theaters relying so heavily on the 18-25s, having them in class vs out of class for the year might be a big deal for an IM...

Yeah I will be very curious to see how the week of spring break goes for batman

Okay, okay, so — I know I pioneered the Begins OW comp back a few weekend threads ago (and thanks to @PenguinXXR and @Porthos for wayback sleuthing assists). That came out to about 140M.    

Another popular comparison I’ve seen for fairly self-evident reasons is SMH, which also translates to about 140M.   

But, food for thought — what would Homecoming have opened to if it *wasn’t* MCU? In some ways that is an even better parallel, right? I am thinking maybe like 90-95 translating to… 100-110?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

how does 100-130 mean only 100? does 130 there mean nothing? or just do the average at least. 

I wanted to ignore that comment in Tracking thread but....

Some people just want to start beefs because they think they can.

I could say "My favorite dessert is ice cream" and people will be like "lol you only like ice cream? Brownies aren't good enough, huh?" and it's like...no? Chill.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

When did I say otherwise? 

You didn’t, but the implication seemed to be that we might find out this weekend that audiences couldn’t handle it. If that wasn’t the intention then consider my response irrelevant 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Some people just want to start beefs because they think they can.

I could say "My favorite dessert is ice cream" and people will be like "lol you only like ice cream? Brownies aren't good enough, huh?" and it's like...no? Chill.

E-nD0U7WYAQfChZ?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 9