Eric Burnett

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This movie really is not going to lend itself to the repeat viewings that are needed for 3x. It’s a good movie but it’s not one that I want to rewatch soon. Maybe in a year or something 

you never know, joker pulled off a 3.5 multiplier domestically 

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

you never know, joker pulled off a 3.5 multiplier domestically 

Sure and that performance was crazy but Joker being the main character like that was a novelty whereas this is a more known quantity. I expect solid legs but 3x Is hard. I expect 2.7-2.8 like TDKR

13 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This movie really is not going to lend itself to the repeat viewings that are needed for 3x. It’s a good movie but it’s not one that I want to rewatch soon. Maybe in a year or something 

Remember when they said that about joker.still  don't think its hitting 3x but with free march it ain't that ridiculous.

Batman is one of the most popular superheros ever, maybe he even is the most popular superhero in history, we live in peak of golden era of superhero movies.

This film opening around 130 mln $ or even less is mighty dissapointing. 

Of course, as we already can see, in coming days there will be countless attempts to spin it as success. It's not. 

• Haha 4
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:42 AM, PenguinXXR said:

So it looks like alpha may hit half of NWH, ATP adjusted. Other chains are looking weaker, maybe 35-45%.

Alpha is still about 30-33% of the overall market, but probably a higher % on previews (40%?). 

Based on this, I'm thinking $21-22M previews.

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Really? Didn't the tracking thread go in on "sub 20M is happening" yesterday with maybe 15-16M true Thursday.

This feels like trying to manufacture a victory. The tracking thread was off here.

I called this shit a week ago. Bullseye!

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Movie nerd said:

Batman is one of the most popular superheros ever, maybe he even is the most popular superhero in history, we live in peak of golden era of superhero movies.

Of course, as we already can see, in coming days there will be countless attempts to spin it as success. It's not. 

This is just a moronic take based in nothing.  $130m+ opening in a recovering COVID market where many theaters still aren't at full strength due to labor and many countries still have restrictions is incredible for a 3 hour slow burn noir film.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Movie nerd said:

The most popular superhero in the world got his movie 3 months ago and even the 1st film of Spidey trilogy opened to 117 mil despite being part of mcu, shorter runtime and having way more family appeal, 120-130m is a great start for reeves

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You clearly don’t know what is it meant by possibility. Get some math class while you can. 

If you did attend math's class, you would know that the statistical probability of this film opening to sub-$100m with $21m in previews (especially for a new series) is essentially zero. I'd say sue the school that educated you in maths, but in this day and age, the world definitely needs some humor.

Now, it can go below $100m if Russia uses nuclear weapons on Ukraine. I would say that's the knowledge of my international relations major coming in, but a nine year old could guess that. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Huge win for Batman. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know box office.

Decent midrange number for the Batman. Anyone who says that people saying so doesn’t know box office:

A) doesn’t know box office

B ) is being unnecessarily condescending which is not a good look to pair with being wrong on the initial claim 😬

That's a good number for Batman, but not like out of this world. It's Batman. It was never going to fail.

I really thought the dearth of programming since NWH meant ppl would be starved for new movies and it would open close to $200m. Guess not.

Edited by snarkmachine