Eric Burnett

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

28 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Oh had no idea, what did he do?

https://old.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/f8s244/psa_beware_cosmic_book_news/

(was gonna post a takedown of my own, but that works just as well)

===

EDIT:

To go into slightly more detail, they're a source of ComicGater nonsense, Fandom Menace Shitposting, and in general they make up shit just to get various folks riled up. 

The less said about them, the better.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Reboots:

Batman Begins - 72m (5-day)

Incredible Hulk - 55m

Amazing Spider-man - (opened on a Tuesday)

Superman Returns - (opened on a Tuesday)

MOS - 128m

Spider-man Homecoming - 117m

Reboots don't open to 200m.

That MoS opening is huge fwiw. 12th biggest ever. People seem to love making comparisons to nominal ow grosses of aughts and early 10s movies when they want to make a 2020s ow look better than it is. Doesn’t really work imo, just looks silly. 

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He said under 100m a few weeks ago

This has absolutely no factual basis, so keep up the good work I guess.

Well, Batman is their biggest character, one of the most valuable Hollywood IPs. If a Batman movie with good reviews did like Thor Ragnarok numbers, I don't see how that could be anything less than disappointing. Would probably imply the Snyderverse/BVS stigma is too hard to shake off for the character.

This is absolutely correct but it seems completely incompatible with saying that I am downplaying the movie 🤣

You can be biased and still right about something lol. 

This actually does not make any sense. Bias means being off in a consistent direction. If you make reasonable forecasts that are born out by reality+don’t give overly rosy commentary of them, that is just called… being objective?

He said under 20 previews and under 100 weekend. Constantly. how is that right?

Man, the version of me that lives in your head rent free sounds very wrong about this movie. You are definitely correct to be dunking on them. Might want to pay a little more attention to whether they’re related to the version of me that lives in reality though.

Edited by Villain Legion

Alright, I’m caught up now. Sorry for the spam, I’ve just blocked Nash for everyone’s sake. It is unfortunate as they make make reasonable points fairly off, but…

Also lemme see if I can merge those posts.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 1

Obviously that $21.6m number is not good. Not flop territory but not good.  It is almost certainly going to come in below the $150m ballpark everyone has been throwing around. We'll see where it ends but this should be pretty alarming for "adult tentpole" films. The market is empty, awareness is huge, brand IP is as good as it gets basically, product quality is excellent. It is tough to say this is saturation, either. Yes, TDK films are iconic to this day, but they are 10 years old, nobody saw JL, BvS was 6 years ago. "Dark" Batman films are what have been popular in the past. 

This should be doing more. Can't help but think that, given the teens/young adults who loved TDK films are now approaching or in mid age, a sizable chunk of this films audience - like THE MATRIX or NO TIME TO DIE - is simply 100% out of the routine of going to movie theaters. No idea how studios intend to combat this, either. Batman has yet to make in-roads with much of the younger movie-goers who flocked to NWH or even UNCHARTED. 

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why not take a risk? Because audiences don’t watch original films, just give up? Tell that to Dog, Lost City, Nope, Bullet Train. Fox has Disney money, there’s nothing to lose.

The only one of these that looks todo over 100M is doing so via director as IP. Kind of proves their point.

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Obviously that $21.6m number is not good. Not flop territory but not good.  We'll see where it ends but this should be pretty alarming for "adult tentpole" films. The market is empty, awareness is huge, brand IP is as good as it gets basically, product quality is excellent. It is tough to say this is saturation, either. Yes, TDK films are iconic to this day, but they are 10 years old, nobody saw JL, BvS was 6 years ago. "Dark" Batman films are what have been popular in the past. 

This should be doing more. Can't help but think that, given the teens/young adults who loved TDK films are now approaching or in mid age, a sizable chunk of this films audience - like THE MATRIX or NO TIME TO DIE - is simply 100% out of the routine of going to movie theaters. No idea how studios intend to combat this, either. 

Nice troll

• Like 1