Eric is Anxious

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Why is every sample that put Batman to below 100m are coming from Dec opener? Was it because of the preview was so huge and inevitably bring down the IM or people have the incentive to wait until holiday window to see it?

Huge previews, lots of hype, and in NWH's case the same Thursday start time. Also the Tues/Weds shows will inevitable hurt the IM (though how much is TBD.)

13 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

A 3 hr noir slow burn Vs a highly anticipated MCu  movie leading to EG. MCU is more family friendly. Why do you think most of them gets an A even the questionable ones e.g Aou, IM3 etc... . If it was a standard dceu movie then I would say this is a solid postrax

But for batman this is a really good post trax.

Not saying it's great and will guarantee great legs . Me thinking 2.8*. But 2.92* off a 120m wind gets its to 350m Dom which once again ain't crazy for march without significant competition.

But let's see how walk-ups go this weekend.

We are not thinking that differently, my guess is 2.7-2.8 legs with Spring break help. I think we just differ on the wording of how we characterize the audience score.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Again, this is a 3-hour slow-burn detective noir film. It also has to partially deal with the stench of BvS and Josstice League. A 3 digit number of any kind for a reboot with no real game-changing hook is nothing short of a success to me. It also basically has all of March to itself, so it can still make up for your frankly ridiculous predictions.

absolutely. The sequel will be the one that doubles this preview number. It’s going to do really well, and ultimately everybody will see it in some form in the coming months. 

you’ve got those that will always show up for a Batman movie opening weekend. Then those that will go on WOM in the coming weeks, or wait and check it out at home - then not make that same mistake when part two comes around. Batman Begins to Dark Knight range all over again.

Not entirely sold on a 3x multipier right now. Shang-Chi was in a very similar position and even that missed it, and the longer runtime dosen't help, and while the first impressions/reactions are good, they don't exactly scream leggy monster.

Edited by Skim Beeble
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

I mean, it’s also pretty common to have movies overperform. Those threads look different!

Different in that when the typical Deadline low-ball on blockbusters comes in, then the thread goes to hell.

toe-MAY-to, toe-MAH-to. ;)

Edited by Porthos

27 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Not that I think this will be the case, but using NWH's previews IM vs Batman's Pure Thursday would also put OW below $100M. 

Again...comparing movies like ROSW and NWH makes zero sense.

38 minutes ago, LVB said:

This forum is insane. People fight over the most trivial things.

I love it.

I fell in love with it back in 2015 during Jurassic Worlds OW and the weeks after that when it "crumbled" to 652M DOM.

One of the better moments in my life so far that ive discovered the forums then.

• Like 2

Would it have been great if The Batman had the biggest OW for a WB film? Of course, but all things considered, these preview numbers are pretty solid. We’ll have to wait and see how the movie holds, but if things go well, then there should be a promising future for Robert Pattinson’s Batman.