CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

Have just seen this.

Just like the other movies in the franchise, this felt very contained and had that slow build up we kinda expect from the movies in the series. I liked the overall look of the movie and the use of practical sets and cgi [There were some questionable choices]. The sound design was probably the best part of it.

The movie harked back to the original movies while trying something new. This is what I think is the one dividing people. It actually didn't bother me, because several movies in, I kinda expect that that would eventually happen.

I also enjoyed how much the movie used the facehuggers here and at one point I thought they were creepier than the Xenomorphs. Speaking of Xenomorphs, I thought the hiding in the dark/from the view kind of thing is already a tired concept. Like there's nothing really new. I wish they were presented in a different way that would still make them scary and menacing.

The third act had a wtf moment, but again just like what I said, I kinda expected it. I don't know if the cgi in this part was intentional, but I thought it could have been better. The ending was at least satisfying and I'm curious where they'll go from here.

7.25/10

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The movie harked back to the original movies while trying something new.

Can you please point out the new things the movie does? At a certain point it literally just becomes a checklist of scenes taken from the other movies.

9 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Can you please point out the new things the movie does? At a certain point it literally just becomes a checklist of scenes taken from the other movies.

Spoiler

Forgive me. I have to apologize. I did some reading and apparently the new thing I was referring to actually happened in the only ALIEN movie I haven't seen. Wtf. 😂 Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.

23 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Hide contents

Forgive me. I have to apologize. I did some reading and apparently the new thing I was referring to actually happened in the only ALIEN movie I haven't seen. Wtf. 😂 Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.

Hahaha, no worries! I don’t think you’re alone not knowing/remembering that!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Im seeing some 2/5's out of the UK...they want their ALIEN to be more like Scott's. 

Why does it always come down to Scott vs Cameron for Alien films. We need a third type.