Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Back in my day we would talk about giant dongs for HUNDREDS of pages before any mod would say anything. Now we can't even go on and on about whatshisname's (lack of) career in Hollywood for 2 pages.

I remember very dearly the discussions about King Kongs Dong during Skull Islands release because of that David Ehrlich tweet saying "its 2017, where is Kongs Dong" and the responses explaining to him that Gorillas have the smallest dongs of all the primates.

Those were simpler times.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Since it's week of Oscars, these are the grosses of the BP noms (currently)

Dune- 108.2m (HBO Max)

West Side Story- 38.4m

Licorice Pizza- 16.98m

King Richard- 15m (HBO Max)

Nightmare Alley- 11.2m

Belfast- 9m

Drive My Car- 2.1m

---

CODA (Apple)

Don't Look Up (Netflix)

Power of the Dog (Netflix)

No wonder Oscar ratings are so pathetic these days lol. No one except Film Twitter have seen them

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

No wonder Oscar ratings are so pathetic these days lol. No one except Film Twitter have seen them

Adults hardly went to theater for adult, prestige releases in 2021, what else do you expect? 2 WB movies were simultaneously streaming. 5 years ago, King Richard probably does 100million.

Also high profile films don’t always guarantee ratings. Streaming and social media damaged viewing habits. Get Out made over 150 and the 2018 ceremony featuring Dunkirk also was a ratings disappointment. The year with Leo winning for Revenant and Mad Max was down a year before when Birdman won. And people say “these days”.. the ceremony with Moonlight vs La La Land performed identical to decade past with the 2003 show with Chicago or the No Country ceremony in 2008

Even then, ratings for Oscars still higher than both Emmys and Grammys annually 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

I mean, yall have to remember this was a recovery year. 

The Oscar ratings for the 2019 films were pretty good. 

For 2020, a year in which like 15 movies came out, they were obviously VERY BAD. The ceremony took place in a room of like 30 people. There was no energy.

This year will easily improve but it was still a weird year where movies only started coming out in like May. So it was a much smaller group of films in a year. So I think it'll be an improvement on last year's ratings, but I don't think we're getting back into the 20m+ viewers. I bet it's somewhere in the double digits. I believe last year's was 7m

I find this argument of falling Oscar ratings weird. Personally I don't care much but I do check who the winners and nominees are, and rarely ever watched the ceremony. Like who has that kind of time to watch TV. At max I check videos that are uploaded on social. I believe I am not alone. It's who WON oscar that matter and not what was in ceremony I believe.

Film's box office prospects change worldwide with Oscar win. Other awards don't really matter much.

The ratings for this year's Oscars will definitely be better than last year given the fact that 2021 was obviously a much more active movie year than 2020 was. How much better remains to be seen. It feels like the only buzz surrounding the Oscars this year is all about the mess surrounding a number of categories getting shafted to outside the telecast and the speculation of how just how bad the ceremony will be because of it. Nobody has the patience for three hours of lame comedy and Tony Awards-style overproduced musical numbers anymore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I find this argument of falling Oscar ratings weird. Personally I don't care much but I do check who the winners and nominees are, and rarely ever watched the ceremony. Like who has that kind of time to watch TV. At max I check videos that are uploaded on social. I believe I am not alone. It's who WON oscar that matter and not what was in ceremony I believe.

Film's box office prospects change worldwide with Oscar win. Other awards don't really matter much.

Previously, just being nominated would have given movies a bump between the nominations and the ceremony and the winners would get a bigger bump. That is kind of dead now for movies because everything goes to streaming or VOD really early so there's no big box office run for most of the Oscar movies anymore.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The ceremony is like 3 to 3 and a half hours. 3 hours is what the average American spends watching TV daily nowadays. Every Sunday, millions of Americans spend even longer watching football. But that's just TV, not including how much time the average person uses screentime to watch clips or social media, etc.

Last year, the NFL averaged 17.1 million viewers per game which was up 10% from 2020. The Monday night game averaged 14million per week which was up 16%.

Oscars obviously aren't NFL/Super Bowl, etc level but it's still the highest rated awards ceremony yearly. Emmys increased 23% for 7.83m million viewers in Sept 2021. The SAG Awards (which ran about 2-ish hours), even, increased in viewership last month from 957k to 1.8m.

Last year the Oscars did 10.40million and given the trends is likely to improve, so a great deal of people still watch. They consistently used to perform over 30million with the 2017, 2018, 2019 shows being mid-high 20s. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Hmm that's an interesting observation. It's obvious how little passion and sexuality and romance is in mainstream film today, but still, the superhero genre has made many subgenre films (Guardians is space opera, The Batman is a noir, etc) but I just noticed..yeah Deadpool 1 is the closest to a romcom.. which is strange! 

You'd think at least one would have packaged itself as a romcom. Especially when the Raimi Spider-man focused so much on the MJ romance

I remember people complaining in the early days of the MCU that they wished the films would stop “wasting time on romance” and love interests. After Avengers and The Winter Soldier I guess MCU decided to shift away from the damsel in distress which is mostly what the love interests were in phase one other than Peggy. 

antman and the wasp should’ve probably leaned into the romcom angle since it had co-leads.

Edited by eddyxx

8 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'd call that number an actual given the lack of 0s

Actuals went up : $18,002,984

From est. Sunday : $3,550,000

To Actu. Sunday : $3,828,880

Link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/es-es/anime-news/2022/03/21-1/jujutsu-kaisen-0-soars-to-2-debut-at-domestic-box-office

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Damn. I missed the Josh Harnett discussion. His best movie is either The Faculty or 30 days of night. Check them out if you haven’t!

IMO his best movie easily Black Hawk Down where both he and Eric Bana really played off each perfectly. Hartnett is supposed to the green, more innocent of the 2 trying his best compared to Bana's seasoned, experienced badass. Bana is another tremendous actor (he is brilliant in Munich and Troy) who should have been much bigger. Acting wise, Hartnett's best performance is probably the high school version of Othello where he was a truly menacing villain. 

Edited by excel1

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Lots of people used to watch the Oscars.  When Titanic was up for best picture, 55 million people watched.  40 million people used to be a piece of cake.  Obviously Covid is perhaps the main culprit as to why only 10 million people tuned in last year, but when there are movies nominated that people have seen, lots of people tune in.  I don't think we'll ever see 55 million people again but if something like Avatar 2 or a giant Marvel movie was to ever be up for best picture, I think we'd get back to the 40's.

I think personally when i look back 10 years ago or 15 years ago the Oscar had way more cultural importance. 

However as society is spliting off more culturally from each other and the show is more political  and niche movies it appeals to less of a mainstream audience and more specific. 

So the oscars are not doomed as they have their market now and popular with it, but its like late nigh comedy now.

That massive wide scale appeal is greatly diminished but its popular in the demos that like it. 

Edited by Torontofan

Uncharted holding better than NWH especially in drop from Last Week

Hope to see NWH crossing 800M this weekend

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- (3) Uncharted Sony Pictures $640,000 -68% -37% 3,700 $173 $126,362,674 32
- (6) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $245,000 -70% -51% 2,585 $95 $797,729,988 95
- (11) Umma Sony Pictures $80,000 -64%   805 $99 $995,290 4

3   $965,000