Eric the Ape

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

On 3/22/2024 at 6:10 PM, Firepower said:

Tom Holkenborg is very hit and miss, just like Michael Giacchino.

I'd disagree, Junkie is excellent on George Miller films but 99% of the time it's just loud clanging noise. Giacchino is hit or miss but he hits waaaaaaaaaaay more often.

• Like 4

The soundtracks for these films, with the exception of McCreary's score, have never strongly impacted my enjoyment of these films to begin with.

I knew what to expect when Junkie was brought back for this: More "bwwwoooommmm" noise.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

People always single out Bear McCreary’s score from KotM as being great, but let’s be honest, Akira Ifukube’s compositions did a lot of the heavy lifting. 

I think it's reasonable. It's the only MV installment that carries the Godzilla theme, which is why it's the most notable one.

It would be like watching a Star Wars film without even hearing the main theme one time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

People always single out Bear McCreary’s score from KotM as being great, but let’s be honest, Akira Ifukube’s compositions did a lot of the heavy lifting. 

Knowing when to reference preexisting themes is part of the job when you're scoring in a franchise. 

3 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

I think it's reasonable. It's the only MV installment that carries the Godzilla theme, which is why it's the most notable one.

It would be like watching a Star Wars film without even hearing the main theme one time.

10 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Knowing when to reference preexisting themes is part of the job when you're scoring in a franchise. 

I never said I was against it, but do people remember any part of Bear McCreary’s score that wasn’t based on Akira Ifukube? 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is my favorite of the Monsterverse easily (with Kong Skull Island being decent and honestly I personally don't care for Godzilla 2014 or GvK at all). It's far from perfect and should have dumped those extraneous characters like Thomas Middleditch and Bradley Whitford and maybe make it a bit less dark and rainy but I like the family dynamic with Kyle Chandler, Millie Bobby Brown and Vera Farmiga, I think it utilizes the monsters the best, dammit this is probably the only moment out of any of these movies that made feel anything.

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I never said I was against it, but do people remember any part of Bear McCreary’s score that wasn’t based on Akira Ifukube? 

The same question can be asked for every MV film and I'll be honest: Probably not.

I'm sure people don't watch this for the music anyway. They watch it to see giant monsters do their thing.

7 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

The soundtracks for these films, with the exception of McCreary's score, have never strongly impacted my enjoyment of these films to begin with.

For myself, I found the teasing of the Godzilla theme (he'd play the first few notes) before it divulged into loud clanging noises a MAJOR hype deflator in GvK.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

That's totally fair, but his remixes of the pre-existing music WERE great and I'd say a decent chunk of the original compositions (Ghidorah theme esp) were quite strong!

That last bit from 2:15 on...awesome

• Like 2

To the score discussion: I also believe that King of the Monsters score is vastly superior to all other MonsterVerse soundtracks. I like the music from G14, but theres no real banger track on it imo and Kong Skull Islands music feels like Hollywood blockbuster factory themes.

GvK though for me is the low point. Its way too bombastic all the times and its just - kind of tedious. I love Junkies score for Mad Max Fury Road, but it seems like with the MonsterVerse films he just doesnt try very hard which i think is unfortunate.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To the score discussion: I also believe that King of the Monsters score is vastly superior to all other MonsterVerse soundtracks. I like the music from G14, but theres no real banger track on it imo and Kong Skull Islands music feels like Hollywood blockbuster factory themes.

GvK though for me is the low point. Its way too bombastic all the times and its just - kind of tedious. I love Junkies score for Mad Max Fury Road, but it seems like with the MonsterVerse films he just doesnt try very hard which i think is unfortunate.

I like GvK, but I think if the score kept the same energy from the trailer ("Here We Go" + Godzilla starting to crawl unto the battleship = hype), the action scenes would have had a lot more impact.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:52 PM, TheDude391 said:

I'd disagree, Junkie is excellent on George Miller films but 99% of the time it's just loud clanging noise. Giacchino is hit or miss but he hits waaaaaaaaaaay more often.

I don't know, Giacchino's MCU scores are terrible, AI could've done better at this point, last time I enjoyed his work was maybe Alita's score in... 2019, unless I missed something.

22 hours ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

I wouldn't even really characterize Giacchino as hit or miss, his weaker scores are still pretty functional.

"Functional" doesn't sound like good praise.

I've been obsessed with Desplat's Godzilla score since it came out. I think it's really special. 

McCreary's is really good, too.

The rest are all generic. Kong: Skull Island's is especially disappointing because the movie is so much fun in pretty much every other aspect.

• Like 7