Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

7 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

I know y'all are probably kidding but lol at this movie being the fate of theaters. But if this $25m+ opening gets a ton of mid-budget stuff greenlit then let's go. We need a new era of good theatrical comedies pleaaaase

The power of Tay-yum.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

9 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

I know y'all are probably kidding but lol at this movie being the fate of theaters. But if this $25m+ opening gets a ton of mid-budget stuff greenlit then let's go. We need a new era of good theatrical comedies pleaaaase

We are in one though? Were getting Lost City right now and Morbius as well as Fantastic Beasts 3 are just around the corner.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

I mean its clearly important, if a fun comedy movie with 3 of the biggest stars in hollywood + Harry potter can't do well at the box office then it will discourage studios from investing anything significant into these types of movies even more than they already have been

Don’t want to become too much a  parody of myself, but let’s keep things in perspective. The fact that 30s is great for a movie like this is not very great for the prospects of Hollywood execs chasing a resurgence of movies like this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Don’t want to become too much a  parody of myself, but let’s keep things in perspective. The fact that 30s is great for a movie like this is not very great for the prospects of Hollywood execs chasing a resurgence of movies like this.

If only Bullock and Tatum would both wear red capes and some form of mask in the film, that would have meant an extra 50M in the OW gross.

Seriously though, considerung the pandemic is still around and the competition from streaming (especially concerning mid-level movies like this one) has only increased in the last few years, a 30Mish opening shoud imo be seen as a success. Not a breakout or anything, but a small win.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

If only Bullock and Tatum would both wear red capes and some form of mask in the film, that would have meant an extra 50M in the OW gross.

Seriously though, considerung the pandemic is still around and the competition from streaming (especially concerning mid-level movies like this one) has only increased in the last few years, a 30Mish opening shoud imo be seen as a success. Not a breakout or anything, but a small win.

Shit even pre pandemic, 30m would be in a win in 2018-2019.

• Like 2

Theaters can't survive on just a new superhero movie every couple of weeks alone. There needs to be variety. Given all the handwringing over comedies being dead at the multiplex in 2019 before the pandemic, the fact that there's still signs of life to the genre accounts for something.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Just, y’know, both words there are important to what gets greenlit.

You’re right…like they will probably green lot similar films to Lost City at similar costs and star power. That’s been done before even after the MCU became huge, and that will likely be done now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

You’re right…like they will probably green lot similar films to Lost City at similar costs and star power. That’s been done before even after the MCU became huge, and that will likely be done now

I mean... will it a little or will it a lot? I'm not saying they are extinct, just don't expect a renaissance based on this. We haven't had a movie like this in quite a while. The results seem more like "okay, we can do some more of that" than "oh my God, we've gotta do a lot more of that."    

Again I feel like of bad going in circles with what people have heard from me before, but some of the reactions on the past page or two seem more like wishcasting than sober analysis.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 1

I mean something midbudget doing solid numbers can help kickstart a trend. I mean yes SpiderVerse was a CBM and this is not at all the best comparison but because of it there’s a wave of stylized animated flicks out now.

5 hours ago, Villain Legion said:

It's not the best situation, but at this stage, you just need to get this demographic out to theatres. 

$30M+ gives it a chance at legging out similar to Free Guy, and gives it sequel/knock off potential as people hopefully become more excited about going to the theatre again. 

5 hours ago, YourMother said:

5 hours ago, YourMother said:

I mean something midbudget doing solid numbers can help kickstart a trend. I mean yes SpiderVerse was a CBM and this is not at all the best comparison but because of it there’s a wave of stylized animated flicks out now.

Not exactly oranges to oranges. Spiderverse won an Oscar