YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The Wizarding World franchise is easily fixable, you can get away with ending Fantastic Beasts and just starting afresh with another aspect of the world. At this point, kicking Rowling upstairs and getting a new director would be a start. 

DC is fine, The Batman has been successful and honestly between the two franchises, DC is in better shape.

I think that just like with Star Wars, they need to give the franchise a pause in theatres and expand it in other mediums, seems like it could work based on the hype for Hogwarts Legacy.

Warner can also make a series of animated shorts (or 30 mins eps) of the Beedle the Bard book for HBO Max.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Jeff Fowler is directed the MCU Spider-man films tho.

Tbh he’s a better choice than Watts. Dude has an arguably better eye for visuals and dynamic action, and Agent Stone and Robotnik had more chemistry than Holland and Zendaya, and while I think no Sonic movie is as good as No Way Home, none of them are as bad as Far From Home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So wouldn't that be 17% from when Homecoming came out and not from 2019 like people are randomly extrapolating.

And even there, the average ticket prices in 2021 are skewed higher due to lower number of releases and people preferring PLFs compared to a stable market in 2017 with all budget ranges of releases.

Feels like taking random samples by everyone to make a case for their favorite movies.

Average ticket prices where mostly flat for years, only moving up (or down) by a few cents. So 2017, 2019 or or whenever; ticket price inflation has skyrocketed in the last 12 months. Data from ZackM and others in the tracking thread have also highlighted the average price increase across a variety of screen types (IMAX, regular, matinees, etc.) so no, it's not just due to a higher skew in PLF.

AMC Q4 2016 = $9.74

AMC Q4 2017 = $9.92

AMC Q4 2018 = $9.62

AMC Q4 2019 = $9.85

AMC Q4 2020 = $9.96
AMC Q4 2021 = $11.50 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Jeff Fowler will get another film outside of Sonic to direct? I think he'll be offered other IP based films. 

He was in talks for a Pink Panther reboot over at MGM a while back. But that was before the Amazon buyout so I'm not sure if that's still alive.

1 hour ago, SupermanLego said:

What WB need to do is market DC more into Asia. It seems like they've given up on that region.

That’s true. Asia is what is keeping DC from those billion dollar films! Aquaman and Joker did a billion because they broke out over there. Domestic and Latin America are big DC markets! Europe can be too… Asia is where they’re lagging 

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Feels like taking random samples by everyone to make a case for their favorite movies.

I don't even understand the complaint here. Using a high estimate for 2019-2022 ticket inflation applies to tdk, wonder woman, tfa, avatar, etc just as much as it applies to smh, tws, BP or whatever. It "hurts" NWH and DS2 just as much as TB.

Sometimes analysis is just about analysis, not some backdoor for fan wars.

• Like 2

Those amc quarterly reports are a cool source @KnucklesXXR. Is the Q1 2022 out yet? If not could be interesting to look at the typical relationship between Q1/q4 growth and q4/q3 growth. 

Does mtc2 or 3 provide similar info in their quarterly reports 

• Like 1

Jim Carrey’s top 5 biggest openers

2022: Sonic 2- 71m
2003: Bruce Almighty- 67.9m
2020: Sonic- 58m
2000: The Grinch- 55.8m
1995: Batman Forever- 52.7m 

Bruce Almighty pulling off those numbers truly amazing 

(Horton Hears a Who opened to 45m but is animated)

His highest films overall domestically:

Grinch- 260m

Bruce Almighty- 242m

Batman Forever- 184m

Liar Liar- 181m

Sonic- 146m

(Horton did 154m)

Those Liar Liar numbers remain insane 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Grinch- 260m

Bruce Almighty- 242m

Batman Forever- 184m

Liar Liar- 181m

Sonic- 146m

(Horton did 154m)

Bruce Almighty or Liar Liar represent a dead type of blockbuster: Star-driven Comedys which break out in a huge way. Nowadays, comedys mostly flop right away or have to settle in the 80-120M region like Lost City.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Those amc quarterly reports are a cool source @KnucklesXXR. Is the Q1 2022 out yet? If not could be interesting to look at the typical relationship between Q1/q4 growth and q4/q3 growth. 

Does mtc2 or 3 provide similar info in their quarterly reports 

Q1 2022 isn't out yet and they're not reporting until May 5th. As for MTC2 and MTC3, they both put out quarterly reports but I don't believe pricing is broken out like the AMC report does. However I do think they provide total admissions so you can do some math off of admission revenue and get the number. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Felandria said:

Jacob Kowalski is by far the best thing about the movies and they’re giving him a wand in this one which seems like hardcore pandering at this point.

but good for Jacob tho.

Honestly... I could not agree more. The major thing for me going into this movie will be if he scores with Queenie or not, which tells how terrible and not relatable the other aspects of this franchise are.

17 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I miss those days dearly.

In hindsight, the 2000s were maybe the best decade of modern Hollywood. On the blockbuster side you had a vast variety of genres and franchises that produced huge numbers (Harry Potter/LOTR/POTC/Superhero movies/Bond/Bourne/Star Wars/Twilight/Pixar and other big animated films/studios).

And mid-scale as well as smaller scale films drived during those years as well. Comedys like the aforementioned Bruce Almighty or films like Hangover and Superbad had no problem finding an audience, while standalone movies like The Day after Tomorrow, I am Legend, Gladiator, Avatar ofc or Passion of the Christ didnt need an IP attached to them to be massive breakouts. The only genre that truly had a worse time in the 2000s than nowadays i can think of is horror.

Times and moviegoing habits change ofc but those were some real golden years when you think of a balanced movie marketplace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Grinch- 260m

Bruce Almighty- 242m

Batman Forever- 184m

Liar Liar- 181m

Sonic- 146m

(Horton did 154m)

Contemporaneous ranks and contemporary counterpart:

Bruce Almighty 11th, I2 with 182M

The Grinch 5th, TLJ with 220M

Batman Forever 1st, AEG with 357M

DOM:

Grinch 14th, RO 532M

Bruce almighty 29th, TLK94 with 423M

Batman forever 23rd, Shrek 2 441M

Liar Liar 29th, TLK94 423M

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

One of those 4 Town songs has taken over my life. Fake boy bands are better than the real thing.

My love for a fake boy band has resulted in my friends and I getting tickets to the Backstreet Boys this summer. No joke. Cannot wait to go rock out. 

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In hindsight, the 2000s were maybe the best decade of modern Hollywood. On the blockbuster side you had a vast variety of genres and franchises that produced huge numbers (Harry Potter/LOTR/POTC/Superhero movies/Bond/Bourne/Star Wars/Twilight/Pixar and other big animated films/studios).

And mid-scale as well as smaller scale films drived during those years as well. Comedys like the aforementioned Bruce Almighty or films like Hangover and Superbad had no problem finding an audience, while standalone movies like The Day after Tomorrow, I am Legend, Gladiator, Avatar ofc or Passion of the Christ didnt need an IP attached to them to be massive breakouts. The only genre that truly had a worse time in the 2000s than nowadays i can think of is horror.

Times and moviegoing habits change ofc but those were some real golden years when you think of a balanced movie marketplace.

Well said.

In 2000, the top 10 domestic included Cast Away (2nd), Gladiator (4th), What Women Want (5th), The Perfect Storm (6th), Meet the Parents (7th), Scary Movie (9th), What Lies Beneath (10). Insane top 10! A Mel Gibson high concept comedy doing 180!

• Like 1