Eric the IF

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t realise the first Sonic finished at $145m so this one is doing great. 

Paramount announced number 2 quite quickly so I’m sure they’ll be doing the same with 3. 

That first film's run was cut short by COVID, so there's a huge asterisk next to that number.

Part 3 has already been announced courtesy of Paramount's investor day. I imagine, barring any disaster, it'll be dated before the year ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t realise the first Sonic finished at $145m so this one is doing great. 

Paramount announced number 2 quite quickly so I’m sure they’ll be doing the same with 3. 

Sonic 1 would've done 170M+ if its legs were not clipped by the pandemic. 

• Like 1

Is there any way The Bad Guys and/or The Nortman open with 20M? 

Who I am kidding, Northman is going under 10M and Bad Guys will do like 15M at best.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Is there any way The Bad Guys and/or The Nortman open with 20M? 

Who I am kidding, Northman is going under 10M and Bad Guys will do like 15M at best.

We can always hope.

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

They are going to get very close, and the larger point was that nothing has even come close to a plateau yet.  So many have been dead wrong about theatrical, especially the studios.  Eventually they will, as many have already, figure out that pumping the theatrical followed by PVOD and finally streaming is the way to maximize profits.  

Depends whether you’re looking at purely grosses or underlying admissions. It’s not unreasonable to expect annual domestic gross to once again top $10 billion once in fully recovery … but also believe the theatrical audience has permanently shrunk, total admissions have peaked, and it becomes a question of how to maximize revenue from a smaller pool (fewer than 1B annually), both on the distributor and exhibitor end

The reality is, not every film/genre (or local theater) is going to thrive in that new model, as we’re already seeing with adult dramas, and to a lesser degree family films

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

EEAAO $2.41M Sat

Looks like it evaded the Good Friday inflation and should hit around $6M after all.

Between this and Sonic, seems pretty likely that Good Friday was only partial strength this year. Maybe 60%?   

Then instead of a movie doing say 1.7- baseline fri, 2.7 IM for 4.6x wknd/baseline fri (satsun at 2.9x baseline fri). The fri would only be 1.4x baseline fri, and sat sun at 2.9x would take to 4.3x instead of 3.8x (so ~14% higher).    

Weekend won’t be that bad if so. Could even upset the derby.

• Like 3