Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

Looks like Zaslav has his work cut out for him. Deathly Hallows Part 2 made more money in one night than this did in its opening weekend.

If Warner still wants to salvage something out of this franchise, I'd say put the IP on ice for around a decade after Hogwarts Legacy and then do a Harry Potter revival movie with the original cast. Keep JK Rowling out as much as you can, she's off her rocker.

I do wonder if Dumbledore will even get to $100m, using DHD’s estimates of $42.7m, a multiple similar to F8te gets it to $97.7M and WB has nothing to fudge it with until Elvis.

• Haha 1

I wanna know and understand what made WB continue this franchise for a third movie after the first 2 movies? 

The 2nd movie made 12.2m less than the first movie OW and it also grossed 74.4m less in total. 

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I do wonder if Dumbledore will even get to $100m, using DHD’s estimates of $42.7m, a multiple similar to F8te gets it to $97.7M and WB has nothing to fudge it with until Elvis.

Legs would have to be significantly worse than CoG to miss 100. DS2 would have to nuke it, I think.

I could see WB putting the Harry Potter franchise on ice completely for a couple of years before attempting an HBO Max spin-off series set after the movies that brings at least one of the trio back (most likely Rupert Grint since one can imagine he's not expensive these days, kinda like how that National Treasure Disney+ show is bringing Justin Bartha on as the only major returning cast member from the movies since he was likely the only one they could afford with the budget they have) holding out hope that everyone, including JK, will come to an agreement as to how to move forward with mining the IP. Seems like a smarter choice than sinking another $200M into a franchise that's clearly fallen victim to the law of diminishing returns with no hope for course correction at this point.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

Legs would have to be significantly worse than CoG to miss 100. DS2 would have to nuke it, I think.

CoG had Thanksgiving to even things out whereas I suspect the next weekend drop to be rough due to Good Friday inflation. I also think Strange 2 is killing most things that weekend as it is probably doing 190m-220m OW.

With Pets out of May, unless Father of The Bride does the rumored theatrical this June there’s no fudge until Elvis which may be too late.

Edited by YourMother

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I don't think it will if we look at the multplier fall from 1st to 2nd movie is 3.14X to 2.56X.

This will need atleast 2.3x to make 100m and I think it will have less than 2x. 

9 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I wanna know and understand what made WB continue this franchise for a third movie after the first 2 movies? 

The 2nd movie made 12.2m less than the first movie OW and it also grossed 74.4m less in total. 

The second movie still made 650M+, you pretty much need to roll the dice one more time with that kind of return and hope that it makes enough to not lose you money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They need to get Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint back. That would be a legit $2b+ film. 

Radcliffe stated during the press tour for The Lost City that he's not interested in playing the role again for the foreseeable future, while Watson doesn't seem to be friends with JK these days after her "I'm here for all the witches" comment at the BAFTA awards. More reunion specials like the HBO Max one are probably going to be it for the next decade at least in terms of getting the cast together again.