Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

20 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Harrison Ford also didn't want to do Star Wars again. If Warner gives Daniel and Emma good paychecks and maybe make sure Rowling gets off the project or even just demoted from her position (and I'm still unconvinced Rowling won't ever get demoted, sorry stans), they'll say yes.

Getting rid of Rowling would be the Star Wars sequel all over again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

think I said it before but FB1 should have just been its own standalone adventure movie. Dumbledore vs Grindelwald should have been its own movie. Then you could have made a First Wizarding War movie, a founding of Hogwarts movie, a fucking Quidditch or McGonagall movie  etc . Doing this weird hybrid franchise was a strange move

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Getting rid of Rowling would be the Star Wars sequel all over again.

And we got the best Star Wars movie and one of the best 21st century films from that in The Last Jedi. We also got the worst in The Rise of Skywalker. Still seems like a huge improvement, But the problem from the sequel trilogy was lack of a plan and follow through.

Also Rowling didn’t screenwrite the original eight movies nor direct unlike Lucas. I am not sure if she produced either.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

warner bros. having to pick their poison: “bad headlines” or “losing another $50M+ on the eddie redmayne/jk rowling vanity project, which would also generate bad headlines”

This is about a brand, not about this series alone. 

Warner is spending billions creating content for a streaming platform that they won't make profit soon anyway. 

They can take a loss of 50M with this movie and still treat the franchise as something important to not make it looks devaluated, giving it a proper finale, and capitalize the titles beyond theaters instead of cancelling abruptly and having to deal with another huge fanbase pissed with them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Cancelling such a big franchise without a conclusion would be very bad, i doubt it. This is a thing of a B-List franchise to suffer, nobody wants headlines like this for Wizarding World.

Honestly, this franchise already hit the lowest it can get. Depp substitution, Ezra assaults, JK openly activism against trans, terrible reception, everything bad that could've happenned, already did. 

If this one can make 400M, this is the floor for the next one, especially because at least fans seems to like this one better. 

My bet is: they will change some crew, announce the 4th movie as the finale, finish all the plotlines, try to bring some huge cameos or something to it and reduce the budget a bit for 130-150M instead of 200M. Then release it to doesn't let a big brand fades without an end and put this to sleep for some time, at least in theaters.

I agree with almost all of your reasoning, but I don't think 400M is the floor for the next movie (if it really happens) at all. I think it has a chance of grossing even lower than this one. This movie was better received? Yes, but not enough to restore the faith in this franchise IMO. Audiences response are still lackluster and the momentum is still in a downward spiral.

• Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Wow that sounds awesome! They really should get around to that then.

Ehh ... no.

Even as someone who likes Force Awakens and likes Last Jedi, The Rise of Skywalker completely ruined the Sequel Trilogy and showed there was no plan from the beginning whatsoever. For that reason alone the Sequel Trilogy imo should never be a role model for any future movie series.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Yeah, if youre into things that are terrible 

I mean potential aside, 2 out of the three had critical acclaim, all three grossed over $1B and despite the loud minority of people who disliked The Last Jedi had strong audience reception for two thirds. Most of TROS problems came from trying please those who disliked TLJ, but most of the series came from lack of planning.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is about a brand, not about this series alone. 

Warner is spending billions creating content for a streaming platform that they won't make profit soon anyway. 

They can take a loss of 50M with this movie and still treat the franchise as something important to not make it looks devaluated, giving it a proper finale, and capitalize the titles beyond theaters instead of cancelling abruptly and having to deal with another huge fanbase pissed with them.

judging by the box office numbers i can’t imagine the pissed-off fanbase is that huge

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ehh ... no.

Even as someone who likes Force Awakens and likes Last Jedi, The Rise of Skywalker completely ruined the Sequel Trilogy and showed there was no plan from the beginning whatsoever. For that reason alone the Sequel Trilogy imo should never be a role model for any future movie series.

okay

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

In comparison to other films released this year, that UK opening is in the same range as Moonfall and Marry Me. 

I’d just like to clarify this by saying The Northman opened to more than The Witch and The Lighthouse added together. 

All Rowling did for the original eight films was produce the last two films. She really isn’t as needed for the future films Wizarding World and future Potter installments aside outside of an executive producer credit. Yes, she wrote the books but there’s a huge difference in writing a script and writing movies which is something a lot of writers who do both struggle with and it’s clear Rowling struggles with that.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1