Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

judging by the box office numbers i can’t imagine the pissed-off fanbase is that huge

Say this for the movement that came with JL and that tepid results that still gave headaches to Warner to this day.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

All Rowling did for the original eight films was produce the last two films. She really isn’t as needed for the future films Wizarding World and future Potter installments aside outside of an executive producer credit. Yes, she wrote the books but there’s a huge difference in writing a script and writing movies which is something a lot of writers who do both struggle with and it’s clear Rowling struggles with that.

But is her story anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Felipe said:

But is her story anyway.

Okay and she can still have a role in it. I just think having her as a screenwriter when Joanne clearly is not good at harms the franchise more than helping it. She can have say on some plot decisions but get her out of the writing chair. There’s not really much use of Joanne outside of the executive producer chair and the franchise would be better off with her role reduced or without her.

Also that’s the way it goes for like most of franchises anyways lol.

Edited by YourMother

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Technically, since Harry married Ginny...they don't need Hermione back, if they are focusing on a "kids of Harry" sequel...and Ginny is probably uber-cheap, too (and Ron can always cameo as the brother and best friend without needing Hermione).

Just sayin' if someone truly never wants to be in the series again, there are options, except probably for Harry...

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

But does anyone really want to see Ginny? Easily the driest, most bland character portrayal in the series. 

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

She was unquestionably the weakest actress in the series. Just so awkward.

I was going to say... Bonnie seems like a lovely person IRL but they completely rewrote Ginny as she got older to accommodate BW's skill set, such as it was. Now, I really couldn't stand Book Ginny, so for me, her being dull instead of "feisty" was a tremendous improvement. For the lead character's love story, though, it was pretty weak.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Its a bummer since shes really good in Chamber of Secrets, but in the later films, the actress is just oozing negative charisma and chemistry with Harry.

At the time, I remember thinking Ginny wasn't in the movie enough, compared to the books, but her acting wasn't a problem then. When they cast Ginny, only the first four books were out, a nice, quiet girl made a bit more sense.

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

That kiss in DH2 ... its imo the worst kiss in the 21st century movie history.

I thought the blocking/staging for the big Ron/Hermione kiss was also pretty poor, but Rupert and Emma spoke of their total dread about the scene and maybe that was the best take?

When JKR retroactively bashed Ron/Hermione and said she shouldn't have put them together (some of us were saying that all along but we got called 'delusional' back then, but I digress), I wonder how mad they were at WB. Because of the books, they were stuck with pairings where the actors weren't great at selling their romantic chemistry together. Cursed Child is alternate universe but not even in a good way.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

In a statement that touted the success of “The Batman” and ignored “Fantastic Beasts 3,” Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution, said, “The incredible response we’ve seen at theaters across the country is a testament to both the enduring power of this iconic DC superhero and the huge appetite out there to experience great movies on the big screen. We congratulate everyone involved on reaching this impressive milestone.”

Added Andrew Cripps, the studio’s president of international distribution, “‘The Batman’ performs on every level, delivering critical praise and big crowds in every market around the globe. We’re so proud of the film and so happy it continues to strike a chord with audiences everywhere.”

Ouch, WB totally ignored FB3. My wife is a huge Harry Potter fan, but she rather wait unit it release on HBO Max. 

• Like 1

UPDATED

Top 10 live-action non-IPs post spring 2020:

1. Free Guy- 121.6m (Aug 2021)

2. Lost City- 78.5m

3. Dog- 61.3m

4. Tenet- 58.4m (Sept 2020)

5. House of Gucci- 53.8m (Nov 2021)*Based on true events*

6. Nobody- 27.5m (March 2021)

7. Wrath of Man- 27.4m (May 2021)

8. American Underdog- 26.5m (Dec 2021)*Based on true events*

9. Respect- 24.2m (Aug 2021)*based on true events*

10. Marry Me- 22m (Feb 2022)

Currently:

Everything Everywhere- 17.6m

• Like 2

OTHER NOTABLES:

Unhinged- 20.8m (Aug 2020)

Moonfall- 19m (Feb 2022)

Licorice Pizza- 17.3m (Nov 2021)

Green Knight- 17.1m (July 2021)

French Dispatch- 16.1m (Oct 2021)

Based on books:

Old- 48.6m (July 2021)

Sad to see Ambulance barely make a difference but Everything Everywhere should finish easily top 10

Have never realized that there are people out there that share the same opinion as myself that Ginny is...well, a shit character. Rowling should gahave gone for Harry/Hermione.

Anyway, it's sad to see FB3 flop like this but I am a huuuuge Harry Potter fan and it's not like I am dying to see this. Could very well wait for it to release on HBO Max in like 40 days. This should have been a first Wizarding war movie from the get go with none of the other plots and imo WB wouldn't be in this predicament right now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I was going to say... Bonnie seems like a lovely person IRL but they completely rewrote Ginny as she got older to accommodate BW's skill set, such as it was. Now, I really couldn't stand Book Ginny, so for me, her being dull instead of "feisty" was a tremendous improvement. For the lead character's love story, though, it was pretty weak.

At the time, I remember thinking Ginny wasn't in the movie enough, compared to the books, but her acting wasn't a problem then. When they cast Ginny, only the first four books were out, a nice, quiet girl made a bit more sense.

I thought the blocking/staging for the big Ron/Hermione kiss was also pretty poor, but Rupert and Emma spoke of their total dread about the scene and maybe that was the best take?

When JKR retroactively bashed Ron/Hermione and she shouldn't have put them together (some of us were saying that all along but we got called 'delusional' back then, but I digress), I wonder how mad they were at WB. Because of the books, they were stuck with pairings where the actors weren't great at selling their romantic chemistry together. Cursed Child is alternate universe but not even in a good way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I could see WB putting the Harry Potter franchise on ice completely for a couple of years before attempting an HBO Max spin-off series set after the movies that brings at least one of the trio back (most likely Rupert Grint since one can imagine he's not expensive these days, kinda like how that National Treasure Disney+ show is bringing Justin Bartha on as the only major returning cast member from the movies since he was likely the only one they could afford with the budget they have) holding out hope that everyone, including JK, will come to an agreement as to how to move forward with mining the IP. Seems like a smarter choice than sinking another $200M into a franchise that's clearly fallen victim to the law of diminishing returns with no hope for course correction at this point.

They're doing National Treasure without Nic Cage?? Wtf

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Cancelling such a big franchise without a conclusion would be very bad, i doubt it. This is a thing of a B-List franchise to suffer, nobody wants headlines like this for Wizarding World.

Honestly, this franchise already hit the lowest it can get. Depp substitution, Ezra assaults, JK openly activism against trans, terrible reception, everything bad that could've happenned, already did. 

If this one can make 400M, this is the floor for the next one, especially because at least fans seems to like this one better. 

My bet is: they will change some crew, announce the 4th movie as the finale, finish all the plotlines, try to bring some huge cameos or something to it and reduce the budget a bit for 130-150M instead of 200M. Then release it to doesn't let a big brand fades without an end and put this to sleep for some time, at least in theaters.

Fantastic Beasts is a B list franchise lol

9 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

To people saying this opening for FB3 is not that bad, for context, Insurgent the franchise killer movie opened 9M higher at 52M+ in March 2015.

Awkward Smile GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

Franchise killer was Allegiant... $29m. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

To people saying this opening for FB3 is not that bad, for context, Insurgent the franchise killer movie opened 9M higher at 52M+ in March 2015.

The last Divergent movie was Allegiant, 29M opening. SoD already made more than this movie WW total (179M).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The 2 franchises are pretty similar

- Trying to capture the audience of a bigger franchise like Hunger Games and Harry Potter

- Doing pretty well with their first movies

- Coming out with a sequel which not many liked but still did okay at the box office

- Crashing face first with the 3rd movie of a promised 4/5 movie arc

- Probably not getting to complete that 4/5 movie arc

- Whispers of the franchise being moved to Starz/HBO Max

- Silently ending the franchise with no one paying attention

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sad to see Ambulance barely make a difference but Everything Everywhere should finish easily top 10

If we get picky, Ambulance is not an original movie, it's a remake of a danish movie.

12 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

In retrospect, the idea of sticking to a casting decision made when Bonnie Wright was nine years old once it became clear Ginny was going to be more important from the sixth movie onwards, was wild.

Ginny's journey is WILD in the books though. She starts off as a Potter fangirl, eventually grows out of that phase and has decreasing page time and by Book 5 has completely gotten over her infatuation and is dating other guys (at which point, she is at her most irrelevant), but in Book 6, is cool with getting into a relationship with Harry, who btw has never paid her any attention before and  suddenly realizes he's in love with her because... she's a young fuckable Mrs. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley is the closest thing he had to a mother? 🤢

I'm not entirely convinced that even Rowling knew Ginny would be endgame before Half-Blood Prince. By Order of the Phoenix, she had reduced her to a non-entity.