Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

Deadline going for the jugular

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-fantastic-beasts-3-1235002928/

There are no immediate, concrete plans for the Harry Potter franchise. It was buzzed back in early 2021 that a Harry Potter spinoff series was being kicked around for HBO Max, but no writers were attached at the time. There isn’t a script in for a fourth Fantastic Beasts. If reality didn’t set in for Rowling on Grindelwald, or even the first Fantastic Beasts movie, it should set in now: The majority of your Potter fans do not want to see Fantastic Beasts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The 2 franchises are pretty similar

- Trying to capture the audience of a bigger franchise like Hunger Games and Harry Potter

- Doing pretty well with their first movies

- Coming out with a sequel which not many liked but still did okay at the box office

- Crashing face first with the 3rd movie of a promised 4/5 movie arc

- Probably not getting to complete that 4/5 movie arc

- Whispers of the franchise being moved to Starz/HBO Max

- Silently ending the franchise with no one paying attention

\

keep forgetting the first Divergent did pretty damn good. Honestly I remember it being an enjoyable enough YA movie. The sequels were dull though especially the third one

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

\

keep forgetting the first Divergent did pretty damn good. Honestly I remember it being an enjoyable enough YA movie. The sequels were dull though especially the third one

There were a lot of headlines that weekend saying something like "'Divergent' Breaks the Y.A. Curse" because it was the only good YA franchise launch in a while. 

Lionsgate badly screwed it by deciding to split the final movie for no reason apart from they had already done it with Twilight and Hunger Games forgetting that those franchises were 3 times the size of Divergent, and then not even filming the next 2 movies back to back because they thought they could get a bigger distribution fee for the final movie when the 3rd one does great at the box office.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

The 2 franchises are pretty similar

- Trying to capture the audience of a bigger franchise like Hunger Games and Harry Potter

- Doing pretty well with their first movies

- Coming out with a sequel which not many liked but still did okay at the box office

- Crashing face first with the 3rd movie of a promised 4/5 movie arc

- Probably not getting to complete that 4/5 movie arc

- Whispers of the franchise being moved to Starz/HBO Max

- Silently ending the franchise with no one paying attention

Shailene Woodley really thought she was going to be Mary Jane AND the next Katniss 

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

warner bros. having to pick their poison: “bad headlines” or “losing another $50M+ on the eddie redmayne/jk rowling vanity project, which would also generate bad headlines”

There will be nothing in the future if they cancel this. Rowling will never allow them to make anything else in this franchise.

They already earned billions, they can waste 50 million of Rowling's vanity.

• Like 1

Was always very strange that this was one and not two series.

One series of modestly (by blockbuster standards) budgeted films about travelling the world having adventures with magical beasts, with different directors and writers with each film.

One trilogy of Potter prequels with Dumbledore as the main character co-written by JKR.

I think it would have panned better for everyone.

For what its worth I don't think the Depp or JKR dynamics have had any significant effect on BO (nor, *ahem*, should they). It's all on Crimes of Grindlewald, the shoddy casting (Redmayne has surely now been exposed as a busted flush and aside of any wider issues, Depp was the wrong piece of casting at the wrong time) and the maintenance of the Yates journeyman direction and aesthetic that has resulted in this whole thing just feeling like a chore.

The love of Sonic 2 baffles me as I found it one of the most attritional films I've seen this year but I'm really glad there's big hit in that market.

Surprised Lost City is falling off that quickly. Having seen it it seems like something you'd have expected to have excellent legs.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Getting rid of Rowling would be the Star Wars sequel all over again.

Yeah, I don't get the point. This is her story, her world and her characters. She should always be the main creative force behind the project because it is her creation. Obviously not as screenwriter, but as someone who develops the story and has creative control over it.

We fell in love with the world she created, not with the adaptation. Someone else should adapt her ideas and that's it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

There will be nothing in the future if they cancel this. Rowling will never allow them to make anything else in this franchise.

They already earned billions, they can waste 50 million of Rowling's vanity.

I mean if they say no for fourth Beasts as at absolute best it’ll do Dumbledore numbers, I don’t think Rowling would really care. She could continue the story in another Wizarding world or do a Max series where returns are more satisfactory. A few fans might get upset but it’s not much at most, as $180m-$200m budget for at most $350m-$400m for another isn’t something I see happening.

Edited by YourMother

55 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Franchise killer was Allegiant... $29m. 

Let's not forget "The Golden Compass"  that killed the "His Dark Materials" franchise with the first film.

Though the TV reboot has been a sucess.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Fantastsic Flops and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Flops:The Curse of Terfism

Fantastic Flops:The Secrets of Diminishing Returns

Variety beat you to that. It headlined it story yesterday on Dumbledore's opening as "Underwhelming Openings And Where To Find Them".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brothernero said:

Worst scene of the franchise, lol.  Just embarrassingly awful.

... why? It was a cute scene of them comforting each other lol if anything it's one of the most endearing scenes in all the films

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Warners wlll not spend 150 to 200 Million dollars on a movie just to keep Rowling Happy.

And Rowling, who is not stupid when it comes to business...you don't make a billion dollars by having no business sense......probably does not expect them to.

I think this theory is just the FB fanboys going through the first stage of grieving:Denial.

They are not accepting the fact that the chances of a fourth film at this point are pretty small.

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I mean if they say no for fourth Beasts as at absolute best it’ll do Dumbledore numbers, I don’t think Rowling would really care. She could continue the story in another Wizarding world or do a Max series where returns are more satisfactory. A few fans might get upset but it’s not much at most, as $180m-$200m budget for at most $350m-$400m for another isn’t something I see happening.

And I wonder how much Rowling really cares about the Beast franchise. One of the problems I had wiht the serie is that Rowling's heart never seemed to really be in it. it was so by the numbers, with little of the creativity the novels had.

4 minutes ago, brothernero said:

Worst scene of the franchise, lol.  Just embarrassingly awful.

The dancing scene? I don't think it's bad, in fact I liked its inclusion and what it means (that in the darkest times you can still can a nice intimate moment with your friends)

The worst scene for me is when Ginny ties Harry's shoelaces

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

... why? It was a cute scene of them comforting each other lol if anything it's one of the most endearing scenes in all the films

I just searched the scene on YouTube and I agree with one of the comments:

This is what Dumbledore means with "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

• Like 1