Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

20 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

it kind of does though…the budgets are 35 mil off which is a drop in the bucket when the numbers are that big 165/200), again being a big hit on hbomax is great but pretty irrelevant to box office numbers so far (ie we have no cases where a film came out day in and exponentially grew from a theatrical release). and again, these kinds of accolades are great but just don’t go very far in terms in determining whether a sequel is produced.

i can understand why it seems way off to compare them but it isn’t when you make it a numbers game (which is what the studio is going to do). 

both dune 2 and fantastic beasts 4 are financially risky but i think the difference is dune’s $400m gross basically exists in a vacuum. no one really knows whether that’s the ceiling for the franchise, whether it was limited by hbo max/covid factors, or whether winning 6 oscars will have any effect on dune 2.

meanwhile the wizarding world has ample history. SoD doing 400 in a franchise that routinely put up 800-900m over a decade ago is a much clearer indicator of its appeal imo

I think it's time JK realizes her disgusting comments have clearly tarnished her brand and she needs to do a George Lucas at this point and just sell Wizarding World to Warner Bros Discovery.

I mean these movies were garbage but it's clear as day that her being attached to them has effected people wanting to support anything Potter related. 

That's why people also are hesitant about Hogwarts Legacy despite Rowling having nothing to do with that game at all.

• Like 1

The only thing I ever agreed with anything that came from the mouth of JK Rowling was when she said she should have ended it with Hermione ending up with Harry. I personally thought and still do that was the best choice. 

Her ending up with Ron was stupid because it was just the cliche we fight cause we love each other.

Him ending up with Ginny was pure nonsense, Ginny is so irrelevant and such a non entity until Book 6 it's hilarious. 

And it especially translates on the screen as well when Dan and Emma had fantastic chemistry whereas Rupert/Emma and Bonnie/Dan had absolutely zero chemistry.

8 minutes ago, Eevin said:

both dune 2 and fantastic beasts 4 are financially risky but i think the difference is dune’s $400m gross basically exists in a vacuum. no one really knows whether that’s the ceiling for the franchise, whether it was limited by hbo max/covid factors, or whether winning 6 oscars will have any effect on dune 2.

meanwhile the wizarding world has ample history. SoD doing 400 in a franchise that routinely put up 800-900m over a decade ago is a much clearer indicator of its appeal imo

and i completely agree with this take! 100%. 

the only thing i’m suggesting is that for one more film 400 WW might be enough to make WB finish this off. 

i think comparing Beasts to the grosses of the originals serves no one. Even if FB1 put up numbers within a stones throw, i think if the series could have maintained CoG levels on a similar production budget the studio would have happily made all five. 

But yes I just think the prospects of the series getting a final movie is something like 40/60 right now. 

The Fantastic Beasts franchise is dead. Zero chance WB touches this shit again. I am not sure why WB decided to call a series of movies about Dumbledore and Grindelwald "Fantastic Beasts", but whatever. One of the many mistakes made with whatever this franchise was.

There is absolutely no need for anything to be made at all in Harry Potter franchises in the future. The books and the movies are still very popular,  Rowling is rich as the queen, if she decides this is the end of the whole thing, so be it.

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

People said the same thing about Lucas before he sold Star Wars to Disney. 

There is zero chance Rowling will give that victory to her haters. Absolutely impossible. And she doesn't need to do that. Just the fact that they love her story but hate her is probably a huge boost to her ego. 

And no matter how anyone views this, WB will not be happy with those FB3 numbers. The movie will be lucky to break even Worldwide which - for Harry Potter/Wizarding World standards - is very bad. These films cost at minimum 150M to make without marketing costs, so a 350-400M worldwide gross is not someting to remotely celebrate. 

I dont see them making a 4th at this point. For the fans who like this film (series) the situation could be worse though since this movie ends in a way that is not too unsatiesfying as a closure.

So what they expected? 500M? Based on what? Only a few movies can earn that at this point and this franchise was already in a decline.

One actor was fired for sexual assault and that isn't even the most well known scandal about this franchise. 

They should celebrate if they earn 400M.

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The only thing I ever agreed with anything that came from the mouth of JK Rowling was when she said she should have ended it with Hermione ending up with Harry. I personally thought and still do that was the best choice. 

Her ending up with Ron was stupid because it was just the cliche we fight cause we love each other.

Him ending up with Ginny was pure nonsense, Ginny is so irrelevant and such a non entity until Book 6 it's hilarious. 

And it especially translates on the screen as well when Dan and Emma had fantastic chemistry whereas Rupert/Emma and Bonnie/Dan had absolutely zero chemistry.

I actually thought Harry and Luna would have made a great pair...

I honestly think WB wanted 500M WW for FB3. The DOM performance is atrocious. It might not do 100M DOM. I am guessing they expected this to do 130-140M DOM and OS would do the rest.

37 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I think it's time JK realizes her disgusting comments have clearly tarnished her brand and she needs to do a George Lucas at this point and just sell Wizarding World to Warner Bros Discovery.

I mean these movies were garbage but it's clear as day that her being attached to them has effected people wanting to support anything Potter related. 

That's why people also are hesitant about Hogwarts Legacy despite Rowling having nothing to do with that game at all.

Ain’t nobody give a damn about her opinions on anything.