Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

25 minutes ago, brothernero said:

Best scene of the franchise, lol.  Just one of the top ten in the series.

couldn’t agree more!!!

worst scene in the franchise imo is when harry/ginny kiss in HBP. i like the movie but damn the timing for that scene is atrocious. close 2nd is the “nice skin” bit

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 2

BTW I think it is time to give Yates a golden handshake.

He is a good director when he has a strong script, but he is not the kindf of director who can work with and fix a mediocre script and get something good out of it.

• Like 1

I think that Prisoner of Azkaban was the best Potter film; Alfonso Cuaron being the director has a lot to do with that.

Then of course there is Rowling saying she would love tohave Terry Gilliam do a Potter film.......

But I also think keeping Yates for Fantastic Beasts 3 was the best option, because it was inevitable that the movie would underperform and new director would take blame for that. It's better to have Yates there instead.

If they decide to do Part 4, I still think Yates should do it. 

New director needs fresh start, new story, new characters, liberty to build from scratch.

i think if this gets 350-400 WW, they will do a fourth and final chapter. i’m certainly not delusional enough to believe studios care about completing a narrative etc, but I think if one more could pull the same area of numbers (350-400WW), in the end there is a potential for green lighting.

I think if we’re getting the Dune sequel, on its results and budget, fiscally there is an argument to be made for a final Beasts film. 

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

Crimes of Grindelwald performed like the last Bayformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek and Ice Age films: it still had a good return on investment (going for the reported budget), but there was a clear downward trend and dissatisfaction with the quality of the series. Instead of putting the brakes on their valuable franchise, like those other studios smartly did, WB gave Fantastic Beasts another shot to win audiences back, which clearly isn't happening. A 4th film is guaranteed to be a bomb, I think it makes no sense for WB to move forward with it.

9 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

i think if this gets 350-400 WW, they will do a fourth and final chapter. i’m certainly not delusional enough to believe studios care about completing a narrative etc, but I think if one more could pull the same area of numbers (350-400WW), in the end there is a potential for green lighting.

I think if we’re getting the Dune sequel, on its results and budget, fiscally there is an argument to be made for a final Beasts film. 

A major difference is that HBO Max day and date are into Dune’s grosses (probably by half is my guess) and the fact it’s reception was better than Dumbledore’s. 

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Crimes of Grindelwald performed like the last Bayformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek and Ice Age films: it still had a good return on investment (going for the reported budget), but there was a clear downward trend and dissatisfaction with the quality of the series. Instead of putting the brakes on their valuable franchise, like those other studios smartly did, WB gave Fantastic Beasts another shot to win audiences back, which clearly isn't happening. A 4th film is guaranteed to be a bomb, I think it makes no sense for WB to move forward with it.

i think yes and no. 

there's every chance that it could do worse, not doing worse would be the goal, but I also think some of these IPs also have a floor and no one seems to be talking about that.  I think we might be near the floor of what a Potter related movie might do at the boxoffice (I mean play the devil's advocate here, FB3 is now the SECOND poorly reviewed Potter movie, coming off a universally hated sequel and it STILL might push 400WW.).  but WB might not want to find the floor and back out.  i agree with the above post though that says the spin angle here is it might be more embarrassing to not finish with a fourth.  i also really believe in the potential of the Grindelwald/Dumbledore battle being enough of a spectacle to at least get the people who have stuck with FB in the theater.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised with any decision. Part 4 could be cancelled and they could green light it.

There is obviously another possibility. Hire new director, new writer and do a rebranding with Jude and Mads. Movie(s) about Grindelwald and Dumbledore where Dumbledore is officially the main character.

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

A major difference is that HBO Max day and date are into Dune’s grosses (probably by half is my guess) and the fact it’s reception was better than Dumbledore’s. 

Will definitely give you the HBO Max release pattern, but I just don't think reception matters all that much when studios are greenlighting these kinds of massive budget niche sequels.  In the same way we don't really know the floor for FB, we don't really know the ceiling for Dune.  It's a high concept, SCI FI film, which is already a tough sell.  its potential is somewhat erroneous to greenlighting a sequel in terms of box office returns and yet they still did, which all im saying, is that the same arguements could be made for a final beasts film.

also i want to be clear, i have not loved the FB series.  it has major problems, should never ever have been scripted by JK and clearly is not getting the support WB would have hoped for.  i just feel like a lot of posters here have lost a space for nuance when discussing the prospects of finishing the series out.

Edited by RyneOh1040

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Crimes of Grindelwald performed like the last Bayformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek and Ice Age films: it still had a good return on investment (going for the reported budget), but there was a clear downward trend and dissatisfaction with the quality of the series. .

Add Star Wars into the the mix

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Dune released during a worse moment of the pandemic, with day and date release and costed 35M less. Also it's not even close as an IP to Wizarding World. I don't think this is a great comparison personally.

2 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Dune released during a worse moment of the pandemic, with day and date release and costed 35M less. Also it's not even close as an IP to Wizarding World. I don't think this is a great comparison personally.

November last year was a long long way form being the worst moment of hte pandemic.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

6 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

And that's fine you feel that way but at the end of the day 1. that 35 is negligible in terms of greenlighting a film of that magnitude with a sequel that will cost more and 2. the pandemic itself plus day in release again isn't a guarantee that a Dune sequel will do better.  it's certainly a possibility to think 'well COVID numbers will be lower and people can't access it on HBO Max' but there's just as much of chance that people wouldn't have seen Dune AT ALL if Hbo Max wasn't the access point.  My point isn't to say some of these predictions are right or wrong I just think some of the logic used is inconsistent to suggest WB would be insane to greenlight a final film.

Edited by RyneOh1040

15 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

i think yes and no. 

there's every chance that it could do worse, not doing worse would be the goal, but I also think some of these IPs also have a floor and no one seems to be talking about that.  I think we might be near the floor of what a Potter related movie might do at the boxoffice (I mean play the devil's advocate here, FB3 is now the SECOND poorly reviewed Potter movie, coming off a universally hated sequel and it STILL might push 400WW.).  but WB might not want to find the floor and back out.  i agree with the above post though that says the spin angle here is it might be more embarrassing to not finish with a fourth.  i also really believe in the potential of the Grindelwald/Dumbledore battle being enough of a spectacle to at least get the people who have stuck with FB in the theater.

That is not a big enough number to justify a fourth film.

Problem is they have lost the General Audience. And it is the GA who makes or breaks a film, as much as the fanboys don't like to admit that.

And, frankly, why would people who have lost faith in the frachise, not think that the people who messed up the previous films would not mess up the duel as well?