Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

We have a 190M+ OW and the Weekend thread on Sunday has only 54 pages. Sad. Weak.

Only solution: More pasta posts.

ea1687630df89db6030b82e9028b20dd.gif

Spaghetti with cheese

G79j.gif

Different pasta

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Looking at other MCU openers in late April/early May, some saw pretty good Sat to True Fri bumps. 

GoTG 2 - +31.3%

AIW - +22.0%

CA: CW - +21.2%

IM3 - +16.9%

AEG - +12.1%

MTA - +12.0%

DSiTMoM - +6.3% (Assuming $59M Sat and $91.5M Friday sticks) 

IM - +6.0%

Thor - +5.0%

IM2 - +4.7%

A:AoU - -0.5% (Obvious reasons). 

In context of “typical” May MCU openings, a $59 mil Sat off of a $54 (*$55.5) TFri is pretty weak for Strange - Eternals was even +13%. Even below IM3’s $63 million opening Sat

Probably not a singular reason, have some theories, but need another week of numbers to really untangle cause & effect. It may not necessarily imply the weaker legs/doom & gloom projections floating around 

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

We have a 190M+ OW and the Weekend thread on Sunday has only 54 pages. Sad. Weak.

Spaghetti with cheese

G79j.gif

Different pasta

Stop making me hungry god damn it! I've gotta minimise my calorie intake 😭

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Spaghetti with cheese

G79j.gif

Different pasta

pls

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Well this is probably what happens when I’m like you’re not allowed to have a meltdown this weekend. So I think I saved us like 30 pages.

That said!

i’m on the car ride home so my “until about Sunday 9pm” is really “now”. 

So if you want to have those meltdowns and get those page hands up, have at it, boys!!!!! 😂😂😂

And I would like to 🥰🥰🥰🥰 everyone here, and say I really appreciate How smooth and fun things happened this weekend. It’s almost like it’s easy and we could do it every weekend 👀👀👀👀

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

In context of “typical” May MCU openings, a $59 mil Sat off of a $54 (*$55.5) TFri is pretty weak for Strange - Eternals was even +13%. Even below IM3’s $63 million opening Sat

Probably not a singular reason, have some theories, but need another week of numbers to really untangle cause & effect. It may not necessarily imply the weaker legs/doom & gloom projections floating around 

Family business are still not what they used to be in pre-pandemic or the shorter theatrical window push casual audience away.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Spaghetti with cheese

G79j.gif

Different pasta

If I can recall, neither NWH opening thread managed to hit 100 pages, if it wasn’t for that dozen of pages that talked about irrelevant stuff that somehow indulgenced by the moderatorssss.

42 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

let's have fun with OW predictions 

TopGunn: 98M/111.7M 
JWD: 232,4M

Lightyear: 104.1M

Thor4: 186/212M

BP2: i really dont know 

Shazam2: 50M

Sure, why not (don’t hold me to these) 

Top Gun = $90 (3-day, have a feeling it’s going NTTD route with pre-sales)

JWD = $217 (TLJ is lonely in that range)

Lightyear = $87 (that might even be a stretch, just not feeling a big OW rush here, but better legs)

Thor L&T = $173 (but legs out way over Strange due to summer)

BP2 = $140 (uh …. sure?)

Shazam 2 = $73 (first one was fun, should emulate Sonic 2)

Avatar 2 = $170 (holiday spreads out gross, and sure I’m low here)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Family business are still not what they used to be in pre-pandemic or the shorter theatrical window push casual audience away.

Sure those are factors, but would have pointed to something in range of +10-15% Sat, not +6%. More going on here IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think some of that SAT audience is shifting to THU. I am starting to consider possibility of flat SAT for Thor 4.

Could be right, with the way too early “preview” shows. Taking kids to a 6/7/8pm show on a school night is pushing it. But 3/4/5pm, especially with shorter run-time, is absolutely doable, avoids being spoiled 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think some of that SAT audience is shifting to THU. I am starting to consider possibility of flat SAT for Thor 4.

I still find it weird that Saturdays started getting better after Midnight's started slipping earlier in to Thursday. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If I can recall, neither NWH opening thread managed to hit 100 pages, if it wasn’t for that dozen of pages that talked about irrelevant stuff that somehow indulgenced by the moderatorssss.

the rock maui GIF

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I still find it weird that Saturdays started getting better after Midnight's started slipping earlier in to Thursday. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me 🤷‍♂️

Midnights meant that FRI had more audiences. With THU evening starts, FRI had more audience consumed in previews.

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Could be right, with the way too early “preview” shows. Taking kids to a 6/7/8pm show on a school night is pushing it. But 3/4/5pm, especially with shorter run-time, is absolutely doable, avoids being spoiled 

I think even without that, the fanbase is getting older, the kids in 2012 are now grown adults who can go to THU evening and there is way more spoiler hype nowdays, everyone wanna watch as soon as they can.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Saturdays got better *relative to TFri*, because Thursday was able to accommodate more of the fan rush that used to inflate Friday 

And now that trend is regressing 

• Like 1

This is purely anecdotal to my Doctor Strange 2 showing (I went on Friday night here in Spain so lots of fans there) but these were the reactions to the trailers shown: 

- Lightyear: lots of chatting and excitement

- Top Gun 2: no reaction

- Jurassic World: Dominion: lots of excitement with the original trio and the concept of the movie

- Avatar 2: people were questioning if it was the re-release of the first movie or the new one, they were surprised with the title and one even said "finally" but not a lot of excitement

- Thor: Love and Thunder: lots of laughs

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Midnights meant that FRI had more audiences. With THU evening starts, FRI had more audience consumed in previews.

I think even without that, the fanbase is getting older, the kids in 2012 are now grown adults who can go to THU evening and there is way more spoiler hype nowdays, everyone wanna watch as soon as they can.

But it’s still a big change from even 2017-2019 - have MCU kids all grown up in that time period? Ragnarok, Cap Marvel and GOTG2 all had huge Saturdays (IW and Endgame less, but greater impact of supply & spoilers)

The weaker Sat correlates more with earlier preview starts, but also pandemic shifts in attendance patterns

44 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure, why not (don’t hold me to these) 

Top Gun = $90 (3-day, have a feeling it’s going NTTD route with pre-sales)

JWD = $217 (TLJ is lonely in that range)

Lightyear = $87 (that might even be a stretch, just not feeling a big OW rush here, but better legs)

Thor L&T = $173 (but legs out way over Strange due to summer)

BP2 = $140 (uh …. sure?)

Shazam 2 = $73 (first one was fun, should emulate Sonic 2)

Avatar 2 = $170 (holiday spreads out gross, and sure I’m low here)

Top Gun - $100m (dat PR fudge baybee)

JWD - $210m

Lightyear - $80m-$90m (Yes views are great but it give me Detective Pikachu/Lego Batman vibes but on a bigger scale as I think handful of people view the concept as a meme)

Minions - $70m-$80m

Thor - $180m

Black Adam - $70m

Panther - $215m (pretty sure outside of the Avengers movie and NWH, this has had far more cultural impact than any other Marvel movie especially with the GA).

Shazam 2 - $35m three day/$65m six day

Edited by YourMother