BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

DS2 drop I think confirms a lot of people thought this was going to be a cameofest of Multiverse characters ("scoopers" claimed everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise Iron Man was appearing), and it's just a case of folks finding out that's not the case and it's closer to a more regular solo/duo MCU movie. Neighborhood of 400M will still be amazing for a Strange/Scarlet Witch movie.

Firestarter should have just been an OTT release. 

There's this dude on the Noovie pre-show that's been hyping up Doctor Strange 2 the past couple weeks and was hyping up that Deadpool might pop up in the film. it's the most bizarre thing ever to me, because those cheesy Noovie shows (which for the record I love, Maria Menounos is an icon) are designed for the normies, not the people who go on Reddit to read up on spoilers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

DS2 drop I think confirms a lot of people thought this was going to be a cameofest of Multiverse characters ("scoopers" claimed everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise Iron Man was appearing), and it's just a case of folks finding out that's not the case and it's closer to a more regular solo/duo MCU movie. Neighborhood of 400M will still be amazing for a Strange/Scarlet Witch movie.

Firestarter should have just been an OTT release. 

Yeah, I saw a lot of people disappointed there weren't cameos from EVERYONE. 

I saw a tweet which I can't embed due to spoilers which nailed it

I heard someone say recently that it doesn’t matter if it’s is any good, if cbm fans have seen something before then they want to see it again. Critics and fans agree X character in X movie was mediocre at its very best, but because it’s a character people recognize they want to see it again.

• Like 3

400M no longer locked. It might get there because until JW3 there is only TG2 and Memorial Day weekend should help its legs a big as well. 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah, I saw a lot of people disappointed there weren't cameos from EVERYONE. 

I saw a tweet which I can't embed due to spoilers which nailed it

All my friends were disappointed by the lack of cameos. Doesn't help that the buzz online was insane. Even Ioan was pretty much a sure thing for many, and even talks of Chris Evans as Human Torch.

12 hours ago, Eric Strange said:

There's this dude on the Noovie pre-show that's been hyping up Doctor Strange 2 the past couple weeks and was hyping up that Deadpool might pop up in the film. it's the most bizarre thing ever to me, because those cheesy Noovie shows (which for the record I love, Maria Menounos is an icon) are designed for the normies, not the people who go on Reddit to read up on spoilers.

Twitter has made it INCREDIBLY easy for even the most casual fan to know about these 'leaks'. I don't even go on Reddit but one day I will see Deadpool trending on Twitter and find out it's folks being jazzed about Deadpool being in MoM without really knowing the source (which usually turns out to be one of these geek YouTubers or some obscure fan site).

• Like 1

Meh hold for DS2. Even at 62.5m, there is solid chance this weekend drop below 100m again since unlikely holdovers and those small newcomers can make up the rest. This sucks. We are now in the era that we can only get one week wonder and the subsequent week immediately return back to post-pandemic new normal which is the market consistently perform below 100m. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Meh hold for DS2. Even at 62.5m, there is solid chance this weekend drop below 100m again since unlikely holdovers and those small newcomers can make up the rest. This sucks. We are now in the era that we can only get one week wonder and the subsequent week immediately return back to post-pandemic new normal which is the market consistently perform below 100m. 

We still have just not enough movies in the marketplace. By that i mean movies that seem interesting enough for audiences to actually come to the theaters and dont ignore them/wait for VOD release. You need several movies on different scales of moneymaking to sustain 100M+ weekends.

I mean, Firestarter? That could have maybe worked if they actually made a good movie and gave that movie an actual marketing campaign. In our timeline, they made a stinky movie with 0 marketing effort behind it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Twitter has made it INCREDIBLY easy for even the most casual fan to know about these 'leaks'. I don't even go on Reddit but one day I will see Deadpool trending on Twitter and find out it's folks being jazzed about Deadpool being in MoM without really knowing the source (which usually turns out to be one of these geek YouTubers or some obscure fan site).

Man, people really need to educate themselves on Twitter etiquette when it comes to spoilers. Back in my day, you never saw a spoiler online unless you were actively looking for them. But nowadays, people have these big mouths and the algorithm forces you to look at every spoiler no matter how many words you mute.

I've seen just about every moment from the Sonic 2 climax on Twitter, in 1080p quality somehow, despite not even being available on VOD yet. I already saw it opening day, but I can't imagine being a Sonic fan and having all this spoiled to you right then and there. I think I already have a basic understanding of the Strange 2 plot without having even seen it just on scattered tweets and images people plopped onto that site.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Worst legs in MCU was a serious possibility for Strange even if it was great. Civil War comp looms large.

Yeah absolutely best case scenario for this thing was like 210m/480m

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Strange said:

Man, people really need to educate themselves on Twitter etiquette when it comes to spoilers. Back in my day, you never saw a spoiler online unless you were actively looking for them. But nowadays, people have these big mouths and the algorithm forces you to look at every spoiler no matter how many words you mute. I've seen just about every moment from the Sonic 2 climax on Twitter, in 1080p quality somehow, despite not even being available on VOD yet. I already saw it opening day, but I can't imagine being a Sonic fan and having all this spoiled to you right then and there. I think I already have a basic understanding of the Strange 2 plot without having even seen it just on scattered tweets and images people plopped onto that site.

And tbh I think that’s partially why I do think MCU films onward might have larger second weekend drops because of the rush to see it OW and Thursday previews acting like Friday.

Just now, YourMother said:

And tbh I think that’s partially why I do think MCU films onward might have larger second weekend drops because of the rush to see it OW and Thursday previews acting like Friday.

Could the MCU become the new Harry Potter/Twilight? Meaning giant OW's but extreme frontloading and thus "weak" legs even with good or great reception? I think at least for much-hyped movies like Doctor Strange 2, where there is a need to avoid spoilers for many fans, it could alreaby be similar to those two franchises.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Strange said:

Man, people really need to educate themselves on Twitter etiquette when it comes to spoilers. Back in my day, you never saw a spoiler online unless you were actively looking for them. But nowadays, people have these big mouths and the algorithm forces you to look at every spoiler no matter how many words you mute.

I've seen just about every moment from the Sonic 2 climax on Twitter, in 1080p quality somehow, despite not even being available on VOD yet. I already saw it opening day, but I can't imagine being a Sonic fan and having all this spoiled to you right then and there. I think I already have a basic understanding of the Strange 2 plot without having even seen it just on scattered tweets and images people plopped onto that site.

It sucks. New gen after that cred. 

All you can do is mute everything you can think of to do with the movie beforehand, and then resist visiting the trends section. Which is difficult if you look at what’s trending as a reflex as much as I do. 

as for YouTube - basically a no go a week or two out. 

Downton Abbey should be a stronger opener next weekend.

How is it playing in the rest of Europe? It is fucking tanking here. I am guessing it will open like 50% below the previous one (and the previous one didn't play at our main theatrical chain because of a dispute between it and Universal, unlike this one).

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yeah absolutely best case scenario for this thing was like 210m/480m

Ehhh… I mean what is held constant and what is allowed to vary for a “best case scenario?” BCS for this exact product was probably like 200->430 imo, but best case scenario if it was great was like 230->550 or something.